Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Any way to consolidate mileage earned between AA and AY?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2022, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, Amex HHonors Surpass, HHonors Gold

Hi everyone, here's my situation.

Last month I flew a multi-city itinerary consisting of LAX-DFW-LHR and CDG-HEL-LAX, all in business class, ticketed on AY. LAX-LHR leg was flown on AA while CDG-LAX was flown on AY. I have membership numbers on both AA AAdvantage and Finnair Plus, but when I booked the tickets I entered my AAdvantage number as it is the preferred program I want to earn miles on.

After the trip, I found out that I earned AAdvantage miles only on the LAX-LHR leg and Finnair Plus miles on the CDG-LAX leg, despite me not associating my Finnair Plus number with the ticket.

Is there any way to rectify this? Had my AAdvantage account been credited with the miles from CDG-LAX, it would have bumped up my status on AA.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 5:20 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
You’d probably have to first ask finnair to back those out and, if they do, request retroactive credit on AA.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:51 pm

Assuming you wrote the thread title, I'd recommend terming it "fix mileage posted to wrong program" rather than "consolidate mileage", especially in talking to the airlines (the latter sounds like you just wish you had more AA miles and fewer AY miles, and are trying to somehow "transfer" RDM from one to the other at will). This could make the difference in whether you sound like you're asking for something routine or impossible.

The key point is that you requested to credit both directions to AA (if you have evidence of this, it would strengthen your case with the airlines) but one was credited to AY against your instructions. I'm guessing the way your AY number could get associated at all is that you were logged into your AY account when booking?

Originally Posted by PHL
You’d probably have to first ask finnair to back those out and, if they do, request retroactive credit on AA.
Yes, that is how to proceed. It will be easier, especially with AY, if the message is perceived as "I would like the mileage posted as I originally requested" and not "I changed my mind".
Old Sep 20, 2022, 12:44 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
This isn't an uncommon occurrence – it happens to me between BA and AA on almost every trip, n matter how careful I am about making the right loyalty number is on my boarding pass (I use my AA# to get seat assignments on BA). As others have said, you first have to call AY to ask them to reverse the posting of the miles in your AY account (using the line suggested by FlyingEgghead about as originally requested). Once the AY credit has been reversed (and not before), then you need to contact AA to ask for credit for the missing miles.

Sometimes this can all be sorted very quickly and sometimes it can take quite a while. And I have no idea how easy (or difficult) AY are to deal with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.