Wiki Posts
Search

Possible end to 24 hold?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2022, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flying_geek
I just tried a domestic award and a domestic revenue ticket - both times I was offered to put it on hold
Back in 2016, this exact same situation played out: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-for-24-hours/

They still offered it on some routes sometimes. Then sometime in 2018 or so, it came back to pretty much all routes. Not totally sure why, but if history is any guidance, we will see some situations get offers to hold and some without.
arollins and onanisland like this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Disappointing, for sure. But a far more valuable feature is being able to put an award reservation on hold, particularly to figure out how to top off the mileage balance. I totally hate this with DL where I find what I want, but I can't buy it because I'm short miles, and I can't put it on hold either while I transfer MR points, and now I have to risk losing the space while I wait.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by EXP100
So AA is running a live Beta test on flyers. I wonder who came up with that bright idea.
Companies do tests on subsets of customers all the time.

Sadly I can’t see this test failing. I’m sure they will measure the number of bookings completed by the web vs. requiring an agent to ticket. Plus I’m sure the proportion of tickets sold and subsequently cancelled will be lower than bookings put on hold and expired = revenue enhancement.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (3 Million Mile Club), Global Entry
Originally Posted by javabytes

Sadly I can’t see this test failing. I’m sure they will measure the number of bookings completed by the web vs. requiring an agent to ticket. Plus I’m sure the proportion of tickets sold and subsequently cancelled will be lower than bookings put on hold and expired = revenue enhancement.
Not so sure about the revenue enhancement argument. First, I'd suggest that the costs associated with dealing with and refunding tickets that have been sold are significantly higher than the costs of holding and expiring a reservation on hold, even if you are right and the number of the former is significantly lower. Second, with load factors at historic highs, there are not a lot of empty seats to be filled. It would appear that this runs the risk of increasing costs, not revenue.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Sadly, I bet AA has set up a hypothesis for this experiment that will be self fulfilled.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 6:48 pm

It's interesting timing, with many flight credits expiring Sept 30th.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bxbkqu
In the past, many of my credits have been unable to be applied by me online, thus the hold and call process.....I am under the impression from talking to agents, that the inability to apply the credits directly by the customer is quite common.

Had this exact problem yesterday. Went to book a flight online with a flight credit. The system couldn’t apply the flight credit and told me to contact reservations. When I contacted reservations in the web chat, the person told me to place the reservation on hold then contact them with the PNR to apply the credit… problem was there was no hold button. So had to have the agent do everything from start to finish. Not efficient at all for this one.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 7:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by arollins
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that about 4-5 years ago, this very same thing occurred, except that elite members (maybe higher elites) where still allowed to have a 24hr hold, but others not.
I still have the option for a 24 hr hold...
arollins and Antarius like this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by javabytes

Wonder if they track the % of bookings when people do a search for flights. Like I said earlier, when I am pretty sure I need to or want to book a trip I put one on hold after my initial search and look at hotels and reach out to coworkers to coordinate travel later. Now, I don't put that flight on hold. I would have put one on hold two days ago and booked it yesterday, but still haven't booked it yet because waiting on confirming how many days to be there. I will still likely end up booking the trip with AA, so probably not a loss for them in my case. But still I would definitely have my flight booked by now if I could have put it on hold two days ago.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 2:34 pm

When making new reservations, I still see the option to put the trip on hold without paying.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
When making new reservations, I still see the option to put the trip on hold without paying.
not me. It’s gone.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Me neither.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LovePrunes

Still seeing it for a couple of trips.

It would be disappointing if they eliminated it for paid travel (which seems to be the focus).
Old Sep 17, 2022, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by GWagonFlyer
I actually experienced possibly a "test" of this last night which forced me to call the Exec Plat Desk to get what I needed done... UA charges a fee structure to hold for different numbers of days... I like the ability to hold which makes it convenient for decision making for sure.
AA also lets you hold longer for different fees, depending on the hold times
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
so why are some people seeing it and some aren't? AA reading Flyertalk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.