SWUs on BA are live

Old Sep 13, 22, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
The upgrade space is the same as award space, so even if EF isn't working you can just search aa.com and see if award space is available on the BA segment(s).
Old Sep 13, 22, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This is a very welcome change as I only use SWU for myself if going from J to F and options on AA are very few, being able to do it on BA makes them a bit more valuable to me, might even consider purchasing PE if I can confirm upgrade at booking.
Old Sep 13, 22, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Did they check and see if it's available? EF is useless with this info and not obtainable.
They did check and said that it was not available.

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
The upgrade space is the same as award space, so even if EF isn't working you can just search aa.com and see if award space is available on the BA segment(s).
That's what I thought and I was able to see the flight available on aa.com using miles in J. But the agent said they couldn't see confirmable space.

Likely a HUACA situation or some sort of technical glitch. Will post an update if I hear differently.
Old Sep 13, 22, 6:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Plat
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
I have always been able to have bags under front seat in exit row on AA/DL/CX domestic and international flights.
My bad, I was not thinking exit row but bulkhead !
355F1 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 22, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4 View Post
I don't think that's a BA thing, I think is a safety based mandate pretty much globally.
Not in the USA. US airlines let you put stuff under the seat in front for the exit row as long as it is push forward and doesn't stick out.

Last edited by cova; Sep 13, 22 at 7:32 pm
Old Sep 14, 22, 4:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, MR Gold
Would be interested if anyone has seen anything further about needing AA metal components on the PNR in order to be eligible? I know that was in the original reports, but the web site text seems much more expansive:

Systemwide upgrades can be used for one-way travel for up to 3 segments on American marketed and operated flights, British Airways marketed and operated flights, or British Airways operated flights marketed by American

I'm assuming it needs to be on 001 stock, but I'm wondering if I can book a round trip exclusively on BA metal USA-LHR-EU and upgrade both ways with 2 SWUs total.
JohnDCA and fotoflyer88 like this.
Old Sep 15, 22, 8:02 am

Earlier this year I booked a LAX-LHR-VIE flight in Y and used a SWU to upgrade to J. Of course the BA flight from LHR-VIE was economy. But today I called AA and after a bit they confirmed my SWU was good for the BA segment too since theyre for up to 3 segments, def a much nicer perk
When Iberia does this Ill be even happier, since I tend to take business trips with them to SA
JohnDCA, apeortdz and Antarius like this.
Old Sep 15, 22, 10:30 am

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/AUA/MIA/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Given that the T&Cs is very clear that the BA upgrades are on transatlantic flights only, I would take it as almost certain that the agent was wrong
Can we quit with the bad logic?

"When flying transatlantic" does not mean "only" on the transatlantic legs. It just means you must be flying transatlantic. The terms do not exclude upgrades to CE on intra-Europe legs attached to a TATL. The terms do not expressly include them either, although they implicitly include them by referencing the three-segment limit.
asnovici, brp and fotoflyer88 like this.
Old Sep 15, 22, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by ryanbriar View Post
Flip side is that the 57.5k offers (or 85k in F) are easier to come by and often the only awards that are sensible short of shelling out 180k each way on AA. For that delta, I can find award space on Qatar, which would save thousands of dollars. (The sweet spot TATL awards are the 78k web specials in F if you can find them.)
What Departure cities for Qatar? Being in Denver, I don't want to spend 4+ hours positioning to JFK for a <7 hour flight to LHR.
Old Sep 15, 22, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Anyone happen to know if SWUs issued to Alaska elites are now also valid on BA metal?
Old Sep 15, 22, 1:00 pm

So does this include all BA segments beyond LHR IF flying transatlantic? IE LAX-LHR-DXB purchased in PE, using a SWU to J?
Old Sep 15, 22, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 747kona View Post
So does this include all BA segments beyond LHR IF flying transatlantic? IE LAX-LHR-DXB purchased in PE, using a SWU to J?
I don't believe so. It appears that it covers US-Europe (AA domestic, Y to J, AA TATL Y/W to J, BA TATL Y to W or W to J, BA Europe Y to J and J-F on all where applicable)
asnovici likes this.
Old Sep 15, 22, 2:46 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by smashr View Post
Would be interested if anyone has seen anything further about needing AA metal components on the PNR in order to be eligible? I know that was in the original reports, but the web site text seems much more expansive:

Systemwide upgrades can be used for one-way travel for up to 3 segments on American marketed and operated flights, British Airways marketed and operated flights, or British Airways operated flights marketed by American

I'm assuming it needs to be on 001 stock, but I'm wondering if I can book a round trip exclusively on BA metal USA-LHR-EU and upgrade both ways with 2 SWUs total.
we need reports on this. Very good point.
Old Sep 15, 22, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by platbrownguy View Post
Can we quit with the bad logic?

"When flying transatlantic" does not mean "only" on the transatlantic legs. It just means you must be flying transatlantic. The terms do not exclude upgrades to CE on intra-Europe legs attached to a TATL. The terms do not expressly include them either, although they implicitly include them by referencing the three-segment limit.
The T&C states

Upgrades are valid only on scheduled flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle offering a First or Business Class cabin for travel, or on British Airways marketed and operated transatlantic flights

That is explicitly stating that it is only valid on BA Transatlantic flights. A 3 sector limit would allow for AA connections
Old Sep 15, 22, 3:24 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/AUA/MIA/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
The T&C states

Upgrades are valid only on scheduled flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle offering a First or Business Class cabin for travel, or on British Airways marketed and operated transatlantic flights

That is explicitly stating that it is only valid on BA Transatlantic flights. A 3 sector limit would allow for AA connections
That language is at odds with the last paragraph of the picture posted in post #1 of this thread. AA often posts incorrect T&Cs and imprecise language, which is unfortunate but to be expected. In cases like this, experience rather than black-letter rules will control and YMMV, at least to some extent.
asnovici and brp like this.

Search this Thread