Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 24, 2023, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ExpatExp
From AA's "Systemwide upgrades" page as of 24 July 2023 (edited to remove references to mileage upgrades, which are not the topic of this thread):

Enjoy a confirmed upgrade from most Business fares to First, from Premium Economy to Business, or from Economy to Premium Economy when flying transatlantic on British Airways.

Systemwide upgrades can be used for one-way travel for up to 3 flight segments on British Airways marketed and operated flights or British Airways operated flights marketed by American. At least one American marketed flight must be in the itinerary to be eligible.
  1. Log in to aa.com and make sure you have systemwide upgrades available in your AAdvantage® account.
  2. Call your AAdvantage® status service desk to confirm your upgrade. If available, the required number of upgrades will be deducted from your balance.*
  3. If an upgrade isn’t available at the time of booking, you can check back with us. There is no option to waitlist for an upgrade on British Airways flights.

*Systemwide upgrades are subject to upgrade seating availability.
From AA's "AAdvantage® FAQs" page as of 24 July 2023 (edited to remove references to mileage upgrades, which are not the topic of this thread):

Upgrades on British Airways and Iberia
  • Can I upgrade on British Airways and Iberia flights? Yes, systemwide upgrades can be used for one-way travel for up to three segments on British Airways marketed and operated flights or British Airways operated flights marketed by American.
  • Can I upgrade from a discount Main Cabin fare? Systemwide upgrades on British Airways are valid on all purchased, published fares.
  • Why is my upgrade on British Airways not valid from Economy to Business? Systemwide and mileage upgrades are valid for a one cabin upgrade. On British Airways flights that offer Premium Economy, upgrades from Economy will be to Premium Economy. On flights where British Airways doesn’t offer Premium Economy, the upgrade will be to Business.
Print Wikipost

SWU upgrades on BA are live

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2022, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
The upgrade space is the same as award space, so even if EF isn't working you can just search aa.com and see if award space is available on the BA segment(s).
gophish11 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This is a very welcome change as I only use SWU for myself if going from J to F and options on AA are very few, being able to do it on BA makes them a bit more valuable to me, might even consider purchasing PE if I can confirm upgrade at booking.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
Did they check and see if it's available? EF is useless with this info and not obtainable.
They did check and said that it was not available.

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The upgrade space is the same as award space, so even if EF isn't working you can just search aa.com and see if award space is available on the BA segment(s).
That's what I thought and I was able to see the flight available on aa.com using miles in J. But the agent said they couldn't see confirmable space.

Likely a HUACA situation or some sort of technical glitch. Will post an update if I hear differently.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 6:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by 355F1
I have always been able to have bags under front seat in exit row on AA/DL/CX domestic and international flights.
My bad, I was not thinking exit row but bulkhead !
355F1 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
I don't think that's a BA thing, I think is a safety based mandate pretty much globally.
Not in the USA. US airlines let you put stuff under the seat in front for the exit row as long as it is push forward and doesn't stick out.

Last edited by cova; Sep 13, 2022 at 7:32 pm
Old Sep 14, 2022, 4:07 am

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Would be interested if anyone has seen anything further about needing AA metal components on the PNR in order to be eligible? I know that was in the original reports, but the web site text seems much more expansive:

Systemwide upgrades can be used for one-way travel for up to 3 segments on American marketed and operated flights, British Airways marketed and operated flights, or British Airways operated flights marketed by American

I'm assuming it needs to be on 001 stock, but I'm wondering if I can book a round trip exclusively on BA metal USA-LHR-EU and upgrade both ways with 2 SWUs total.
JohnDCA and fotoflyer88 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:02 am

Earlier this year I booked a LAX-LHR-VIE flight in Y and used a SWU to upgrade to J. Of course the BA flight from LHR-VIE was economy. But today I called AA and after a bit they confirmed my SWU was good for the BA segment too since they’re for up to 3 segments, def a much nicer perk
When Iberia does this I’ll be even happier, since I tend to take business trips with them to SA
JohnDCA, apeortdz and Antarius like this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Given that the T&Cs is very clear that the BA upgrades are on transatlantic flights only, I would take it as almost certain that the agent was wrong
Can we quit with the bad logic?

"When flying transatlantic" does not mean "only" on the transatlantic legs. It just means you must be flying transatlantic. The terms do not exclude upgrades to CE on intra-Europe legs attached to a TATL. The terms do not expressly include them either, although they implicitly include them by referencing the three-segment limit.
asnovici, brp and fotoflyer88 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
Flip side is that the 57.5k offers (or 85k in F) are easier to come by and often the only awards that are sensible short of shelling out 180k each way on AA. For that delta, I can find award space on Qatar, which would save thousands of dollars. (The sweet spot TATL awards are the 78k web specials in F if you can find them.)
What Departure cities for Qatar? Being in Denver, I don't want to spend 4+ hours positioning to JFK for a <7 hour flight to LHR.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:00 pm

So does this include all BA segments beyond LHR IF flying transatlantic? IE LAX-LHR-DXB purchased in PE, using a SWU to J?
Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 747kona
So does this include all BA segments beyond LHR IF flying transatlantic? IE LAX-LHR-DXB purchased in PE, using a SWU to J?
I don't believe so. It appears that it covers US-Europe (AA domestic, Y to J, AA TATL Y/W to J, BA TATL Y to W or W to J, BA Europe Y to J and J-F on all where applicable)
asnovici likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by smashr
Would be interested if anyone has seen anything further about needing AA metal components on the PNR in order to be eligible? I know that was in the original reports, but the web site text seems much more expansive:

Systemwide upgrades can be used for one-way travel for up to 3 segments on American marketed and operated flights, British Airways marketed and operated flights, or British Airways operated flights marketed by American

I'm assuming it needs to be on 001 stock, but I'm wondering if I can book a round trip exclusively on BA metal USA-LHR-EU and upgrade both ways with 2 SWUs total.
we need reports on this. Very good point.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Can we quit with the bad logic?

"When flying transatlantic" does not mean "only" on the transatlantic legs. It just means you must be flying transatlantic. The terms do not exclude upgrades to CE on intra-Europe legs attached to a TATL. The terms do not expressly include them either, although they implicitly include them by referencing the three-segment limit.
The T&C states

Upgrades are valid only on scheduled flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle offering a First or Business Class cabin for travel, or on British Airways marketed and operated transatlantic flights

That is explicitly stating that it is only valid on BA Transatlantic flights. A 3 sector limit would allow for AA connections
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The T&C states

Upgrades are valid only on scheduled flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle offering a First or Business Class cabin for travel, or on British Airways marketed and operated transatlantic flights

That is explicitly stating that it is only valid on BA Transatlantic flights. A 3 sector limit would allow for AA connections
That language is at odds with the last paragraph of the picture posted in post #1 of this thread. AA often posts incorrect T&Cs and imprecise language, which is unfortunate but to be expected. In cases like this, experience rather than black-letter rules will control and YMMV, at least to some extent.
asnovici and brp like this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
That language is at odds with the last paragraph of the picture posted in post #1 of this thread. AA often posts incorrect T&Cs and imprecise language, which is unfortunate but to be expected. In cases like this, experience rather than black-letter rules will control and YMMV, at least to some extent.
You stated that the terms explicitly include non transatlantic flights when the terms explicitly state that it is only transatlantic flights

The general blurb is not saying anything that is contrary to the T&Cs - there is nothing in there that suggests that economy to business upgrades on BA are permitted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.