Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking award travel for another person exp benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2022 | 7:35 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: American Airlines

Im booking a multi segment itinerary for my mom. The flight will be lhr- dtw, dtw-Dfw, and Dfw-lhr.
Will I be able to reserve her MCE seats gratis? Im booking main cabin with miles.

thank you.
Old Sep 6, 2022 | 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Unless you're on the same flight, no. Benefits do not transfer.
enviroian likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022 | 5:19 am
2M10 Years on Site

If you're booking it for her SOLO travel for whatever reason (vs her booking her own itinerary) by putting her AA number on the record, it'll allow her to log in and select MCE seats. Doesn't matter if it's a mileage ticket with your miles, her miles, or paid.

If you're traveling together, though, the only way you can BOTH get her seat benefits is too be on the same PNR
Old Sep 8, 2022 | 5:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by enviroian
Im booking a multi segment itinerary for my mom. The flight will be lhr- dtw, dtw-Dfw, and Dfw-lhr.
Will I be able to reserve her MCE seats gratis? Im booking main cabin with miles.

thank you.
If you are on the same flights (even on a different PNR), you can eventually get you two together, but if she's traveling alone, no. Not at least when I was booking as a PPRO.
Old Sep 8, 2022 | 8:03 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

She's traveling alone. I have never booked travel award for someone else using AA so I was curious. FWIW back in my 1K days UA would allow that traveling person to use my status benefits while traveling solo.
Old Sep 8, 2022 | 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
She's traveling alone. I have never booked travel award for someone else using AA so I was curious. FWIW back in my 1K days UA would allow that traveling person to use my status benefits while traveling solo.
So I just tried a dummy booking for my son with his AAdvantage number (no status) but using my miles. It asked for $$$ copay for MCE and "preferred" seats.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022 | 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
If you're booking it for her SOLO travel for whatever reason (vs her booking her own itinerary) by putting her AA number on the record, it'll allow her to log in and select MCE seats. Doesn't matter if it's a mileage ticket with your miles, her miles, or paid.
The source of miles and status of the purchaser doesn't matter. The passenger's status is what determines the benefits they get. If the OP's mom has no status, she will not be entitled to any extra benefits.

The exception to the above is if the OP is also on the flight in the same cabin and then they PNRs are "linked" and benefits are extended.

As for why someone would book a flight for someone else, many reasons - the purchaser may have more miles than the recipient, the recipient may be living overseas And doesn't have AA miles and many others. I do this regularly with my family in the cases where the $ cost of tickets gets very high.
​​
​​
Old Sep 8, 2022 | 8:37 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My mom doesn't have an AAdvantage number but she does have a BA number. Does it even matter what number I plug in when I book the res on AA for her? I also told her she'll have to connect only once. She's very mobile and active but she still is 79. What airport would you recommend offers the most seamless and perhaps least walking? This is for lhr-dtw. ORD? Arrive T5 in Glencoe and get over to T3 in Chicago? lol forget that. PHL? possible.....
Old Sep 8, 2022 | 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My mom doesn't have an AAdvantage number but she does have a BA number. Does it even matter what number I plug in when I book the res on AA for her? I also told her she'll have to connect only once. She's very mobile and active but she still is 79. What airport would you recommend offers the most seamless and perhaps least walking? This is for lhr-dtw. ORD? Arrive T5 in Glencoe and get over to T3 in Chicago? lol forget that. PHL? possible.....
I'd do JFK. T8-T8 and both flights are short. I would also check AF/KL with miles to book the LHR-DTW nonstop on DL. Sometimes there is a decent deal in Y with those miles. Also it is an a332, so 2-4-2 seating.

As for the number in the booking, it doesn't matter. I would put her BA number just for the tiny chance of IROPS that rebooks her as full fare Y.
Old Sep 8, 2022 | 9:02 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
I'd do JFK. T8-T8 and both flights are short. I would also check AF/KL with miles to book the LHR-DTW nonstop on DL. Sometimes there is a decent deal in Y with those miles. Also it is an a332, so 2-4-2 seating.

As for the number in the booking, it doesn't matter. I would put her BA number just for the tiny chance of IROPS that rebooks her as full fare Y.
I didn't even think of JFK. I didn't know AA flies to Detroit from there.

I'm using my AA miles so DL/KL won't help unless I just buy a 1 way.
Old Sep 8, 2022 | 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't even think of JFK. I didn't know AA flies to Detroit from there.
AA doesn't, but B6 does and AA has a codeshare. I'm not sure if that's an offered routing though.

If not, probably DFW and then CLT. ORD is a disaster, PHL is colonoscopy-equivalent.

I'm using my AA miles so DL/KL won't help unless I just buy a 1 way.
If you have an Amex with MR or Chase Sapphire, you can transfer points to AF/KL or Virgin. Food for thought
enviroian likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022 | 1:32 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Is MIA possible? Connection should be same terminal, can probably get a golf cart to drive her between gates if necessary since D gates are long and linear.
Old Sep 8, 2022 | 1:41 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
Is MIA possible? Connection should be same terminal, can probably get a golf cart to drive her between gates if necessary since D gates are long and linear.
Looking for the shortest distance between two points.
Old Sep 8, 2022 | 1:52 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Looking for the shortest distance between two points.
It's probably PHL or CLT then. JFK she will have to transfer terminals from AA to B6 much like an ORD domestic-international connection (bus or train). .
Old Sep 8, 2022 | 6:07 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Wyndham & Caesars Diamond,
A few tips:
DTW is on EST, Chicago is CST, so you lose an hour if she transits through ORD.
ORD customs has dragons that demand you carry your Global Entry Card to flash at them before you can enter the fast track lines (Don't know if your mum has one)

Lastly, as a person of *ahem* less than young years, I highly advocate taking the daytime/morning flights TATL from US. There is one ORD-LHR, two JFK-LHR (one is on BA) and one BOS-LHR also on BA. Using BA means less miles but significantly more fees.
Signed,
One Who Cannot Sleep on a Plane

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.