Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rules for changing origin airport of an award ticket after a significant award change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rules for changing origin airport of an award ticket after a significant award change

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Had a flight booked with an AA web special SFO to BNA via ORD leaving at 11 am. Following the termination of the 11 am SFO to ORD flight for AA, I was moved to the 6 AM flight. Is there any way to have AA change the departure airport to SMF tried once and no dice but wanted to see if it was worth it to HUCA
Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:53 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kodalip
Had a flight booked with an AA web special SFO to BNA via ORD leaving at 11 am. Following the termination of the 11 am SFO to ORD flight for AA, I was moved to the 6 AM flight. Is there any way to have AA change the departure airport to SMF tried once and no dice but wanted to see if it was worth it to HUCA
Was definitely possible months ago. Try AA Twitter and mention there is a schedule change in excess of 4 hours and you like to change as allow by 300 miles radius policy. On a revenue ticket a change of more than an hour allows for changing to another airport within a 300 mile radius. YMMV with web special.
kodalip likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Definitely call again. This is 100% possible with airports within 300 miles of each other. I tried yesterday to change BUD to ZAG but was told this wasn’t possible only because they were in different countries. I think even this is possible with the right agent as the EU is considered one country for this purpose.
kodalip likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
Was definitely possible months ago. Try AA Twitter and mention there is a schedule change in excess of 4 hours and you like to change as allow by 300 miles radius policy. On a revenue ticket a change of more than an hour allows for changing to another airport within a 300 mile radius. YMMV with web special.
Thank you SO MUCH! I contacted AA on twitter and they originally said that they couldn't but after citing the 300 mile rules the said actually you're right we can change it to SMF. Saved my dad a 5 hour round trip to drop me off at the airport
JPG3392, MarkY123, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by RichieMc
Definitely call again. This is 100% possible with airports within 300 miles of each other. I tried yesterday to change BUD to ZAG but was told this wasn’t possible only because they were in different countries. I think even this is possible with the right agent as the EU is considered one country for this purpose.
Browsing the AA schedule change rules: "If there are no acceptable options to the customer's original ticketed destination/origin, may book AA space only to an alternate AA airport, within a 300-mile radius of the originally ticketed city within the same country"...so on the surface it seems the agent was correct.

Edit to add: this is with revenue tickets, not sure if it applies to award tickets
Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by GaryZ
Browsing the AA schedule change rules: "If there are no acceptable options to the customer's original ticketed destination/origin, may book AA space only to an alternate AA airport, within a 300-mile radius of the originally ticketed city within the same country"...so on the surface it seems the agent was correct.

Edit to add: this is with revenue tickets, not sure if it applies to award tickets
Yep. That's the same rules I've seen. Thing is that the EU is taken to be the same country in this case, even though the EU is not a country or member of the UN, while Croatia and Hungary are. Like I said, I've done it before a couple of times without issue or the agent needing to contact a supervisor. It makes sense this way as most EU countries don't have a second useable airport within 300 miles.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:07 am

... unless it suits *their* needs: AA Wanted $30k Change Fee

Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by RichieMc
Yep. That's the same rules I've seen. Thing is that the EU is taken to be the same country in this case, even though the EU is not a country or member of the UN, while Croatia and Hungary are. Like I said, I've done it before a couple of times without issue or the agent needing to contact a supervisor. It makes sense this way as most EU countries don't have a second useable airport within 300 miles.
I'd be real curious to know if you have any luck with this as I have departed from BUD on several occasions wherein I could have easily substituted a number of other nearby countries.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 2:24 pm

I'd be real curious to know if you have any luck with this as I have departed from BUD on several occasions wherein I could have easily substituted a number of other nearby countries.
I’ve had luck with it twice earlier this year with SOF and OTP. No problem. I’m sure with another agent I could have made this work. But the rebooking was complicated because of an earlier screwup that involved 2 hours in the chat getting the agent to clean up the mess. I didn’t feel like going through that again so I just accepted that I wasn’t going to get the change from BUD to ZAG. Might get some further changes and I’ll give it another go at that point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.