Wiki Posts
Search

Award Flight Schedule Change Rebook?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2022, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Award Flight Schedule Change Rebook?

I have an award flight that had the schedule changed by American. Can I get them to change this flight to the next day if there is award availability even if the award is no longer at the lowest level? Right now I am Exec Plat. I rarely change tix and dont know the current policy.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
If the change you want to make is less than 24 hours from the original flight you have a decent shot of getting them to change it. With a schedule change any flight with seats can usually be chosen, it doesn't need to be at a low level.

I have had luck removing overnight layovers, simplifying routings to one stops instead of two or three, and I think I have turned redeye flights to next calendar day, but that was like 11 pm to 12:30 am the same evening.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It depends on the nature of the schedule change (additional connection? MCT violation?) and how large it was. YMMV.
Do you have any direct experience with schedule changes on AA? I thought most if not all of your experience is on DL.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Do you have any direct experience with schedule changes on AA? I thought most if not all of your experience is on DL.
I have lifetime Plat on AA and EXP currently. I rarely have any changes to an award flight other than outright cancellations.Delta in the past at least when I was Diamond, did not have much of an issue.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I was recently on an 8:45PM departure and it was cancelled and I was moved to 7:00PM. I really wanted a much earlier flight but the 8:45 was much cheaper (in miles). When they moved me to the 7:00, I called and was able to get moved to the 4:00PM, which was my first choice in the first place.

A different day might be a stretch, but it can't hurt to ask.
Fly2Connect likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by robertw477
I have lifetime Plat on AA and EXP currently. I rarely have any changes to an award flight other than outright cancellations.
AA won't care about this. I'm a MM and have been EP or CP under US Airways for 20+ years. What I've done for AA in the past matters none on what happens during a schedule change, for better or worse.

The question, as someone else posted, is how drastic was the schedule change. It's usually very easy to pick any other flights around the time of the original one, but moving an entire day is a bit harder unless it's a drastic schedule change.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I had a 35 minute time change, was successful in getting it moved to the next day.

if you use the callback feature, this isn’t something the callback person can go, you must be with the exec plat or plat pro if the change isn’t more than 4 hours.

anyone have experience with co-terminals, like switching from FLL to MIA or Long beach to Lax.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by beachfan
anyone have experience with co-terminals, like switching from FLL to MIA or Long beach to Lax.
Just was able to get switched from FLL to MIA due to a schedule change. No question asked.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I have lifetime Plat on AA and EXP currently. I rarely have any changes to an award flight other than outright cancellations.Delta in the past at least when I was Diamond, did not have much of an issue.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 6:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Really depends on the change. If it is a 5 minute change, YMMV. If it is a >4 hour change chances are good.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:07 pm

AA cancelled my non-stop and changed it to a connection. I was able to move it the non-stop on the day before.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, WN, Hyatt, HHonors, Avis Pref+
Originally Posted by avatexrs
AA cancelled my non-stop and changed it to a connection. I was able to move it the non-stop on the day before.
I have done this as well. I don't think there's much pushback when you get changed from nonstop to connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.