Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Running into out of whack domestic mileage pricing on AA (J/F)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2022, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

I'm trying to book a flight from NYC to PHX in First class. American seems to be only offering 75K miles, no matter what time or date. However, the standard AA pricing for JFK to LAX/SFO for Business Class seems to be 62.5K miles (including availability in JetBlue Mint). I see much lower at certain times date. I would argue J on the A321 or JetBlue on a transcon should be priced more (in general) than a standard F seat on a shorter flight. Alaska redemptions looks even better at 25K miles.

Based on other pricing it seems to me that these PHX flights should cost 62.5K at most, maybe 50K unless they are very sold out. What gives here?
Old Aug 22, 2022, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I'm trying to book a flight from NYC to PHX in First class. American seems to be only offering 75K miles, no matter what time or date. However, the standard AA pricing for JFK to LAX/SFO for Business Class seems to be 62.5K miles (including availability in JetBlue Mint). I see much lower at certain times date. I would argue J on the A321 or JetBlue on a transcon should be priced more (in general) than a standard F seat on a shorter flight. Alaska redemptions looks even better at 25K miles.

Based on other pricing it seems to me that these PHX flights should cost 62.5K at most, maybe 50K unless they are very sold out. What gives here?
Virtually all of AA's domestic award availability is either 'web special' which is dynamically priced or AAnytime. It can change from day to day and vary based on the market, route, day, time, etc. 75k for NYC-PHX sounds like AAnytime space. You're definitely right that JFK-LAX in business should price higher than JFK-PHX in domestic first, however airline pricing is rarely logical.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Virtually all of AA's domestic award availability is either 'web special' which is dynamically priced or AAnytime. It can change from day to day and vary based on the market, route, day, time, etc. 75k for NYC-PHX sounds like AAnytime space. You're definitely right that JFK-LAX in business should price higher than JFK-PHX in domestic first, however airline pricing is rarely logical.

After some inspection, it seems like there is a lot more variability in pricing a couple weeks out or even a week out (I was looking at flights early October), May be best to wait I guess
Old Aug 22, 2022, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by Adelphos

The AA flights are dynamic pricing whereas the B6 flights (and AS) are on an award chart.

Not sure what your dates are, but I was recently looking at BOS / NYC to PHX and prices were in the low 30s for F.

The odd tcon flights are sometimes in the 40-50k range for J.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
You thing thats out of whack? Try Europe J awards for next summer which are, typically, about 400,000 miles each way.
ryanbriar and aquanine like this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
There's no real need to wait if you see a flight you would actually buy. When buying with miles, cancelling is very easy and the miles come back automatically and quickly.
Abidjan likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 1:39 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
You thing thats out of whack? Try Europe J awards for next summer which are, typically, about 400,000 miles each way.
Blimey! I would have thought that paying money would work out as "cheaper". At least you do not have the outrageous taxes that we pay which are the equivalent of an economy ticket.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 1:48 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Blimey! I would have thought that paying money would work out as "cheaper". At least you do not have the outrageous taxes that we pay which are the equivalent of an economy ticket.
BA hahahaha, but Avianca are quite good.
​​​
PUCCI GALORE likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.