Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Remove passenger(s) from Web Special award?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold

I have an award trip scheduled with 4 other family members (plus me), booked as a Web Special. I need to remove myself and 1 other person from the trip, as we can no longer attend, while keeping the other 3 intact. I am an ExPlat, none of the others have status. Is this possible, without having to cancel and rebook everyone?
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
No changes to web specials.

Cancel and rebook.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by razzaba
I have an award trip scheduled with 4 other family members (plus me), booked as a Web Special. I need to remove myself and 1 other person from the trip, as we can no longer attend, while keeping the other 3 intact. I am an ExPlat, none of the others have status. Is this possible, without having to cancel and rebook everyone?
Call AA, while web specials cannot be changed it should be possible to just remove/cancel certain pax from a PNR.
guv1976, razzaba and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, will see what they say. I'm not 100% sure whether or not I can't go, so I've been holding off, but don't want to get into a spot where there is not availability for the same dates/mileage levels if I need to rebook for just the 3 of them.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by razzaba
Thanks, will see what they say. I'm not 100% sure whether or not I can't go, so I've been holding off, but don't want to get into a spot where there is not availability for the same dates/mileage levels if I need to rebook for just the 3 of them.
Is the other person in your party a definite no-go? If so, just try to cancel that person's ticket now, and you'll have your answer.
HiAperture, razzaba and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 3:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
It’s no different than other tickets—ask AA to split people into separate PNRs then cancel those PNRs when you know you can’t go.
seawolf likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Is the other person in your party a definite no-go? If so, just try to cancel that person's ticket now, and you'll have your answer.
Good thought, but no - it'll either be both of us going or not going. I was thinking I could just cancel and rebook now as a reservation for 3 and another for 2, but then that introduces challenges for the other 3 that do not have status and could have bag/seat fees etc, or in case of IRROPS.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

All you need to do is phone and cancel your 2 bookings - nothing complicated to it - the other passengers will remain as is. No need to worry about rebooking the other 3 since they will remain booked
razzaba and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 8:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by armus
It’s no different than other tickets—ask AA to split people into separate PNRs then cancel those PNRs when you know you can’t go.
This is the correct answer. Call/Tweet AA to split the PNR between those travelling and those who will not. Then cancel the PNR containing those not traveling.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by seawolf
This is the correct answer. Call/Tweet AA to split the PNR between those travelling and those who will not. Then cancel the PNR containing those not traveling.
There is no need to split the PNR - just cancel for the passengers mot travelling - no need to make it more complicated that it needs to be
Antarius and seawolf like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by seawolf
If all else fails, this is a recourse. But you don't need to do this to drop a passenger. As Dave Noble said, AA can do this without splitting the PNR and being a web special doesn't affect this specific action.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhalapin
No changes to web specials.

Cancel and rebook.
​​​​​​
this isn't changing a web special. You're just canceling one or more passengers. The others are unchanged.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 10:57 pm

Splitting in advance avoids beong subject to how long it can take AA to respond.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by armus
Splitting in advance avoids beong subject to how long it can take AA to respond.
How do you do this without AA responding?
Old Aug 19, 2022, 11:32 pm

The point is that if you split in advance you have until close to departure time to visit the website and cancel yourself. If you instead want to call AA to cancel certain pax then you have to think about how close you want to make a decision on contacting AA to cancel and hope they answer/reply in time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.