Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA vs AA Int’l Biz

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nologic
It looks like there are some nice tan lounge chairs with Ottomans in the quiet room, Maybe there are more of these chairs spread out with the Ottomans and the rest of the lounge, or maybe they were to feel to be practical options.
Those chairs are located at several locations in the JFK FL. It's a nice lounge. The showers are not so deluxe as Polaris lounge, and it's older and less flashy, but the EWR Polaris lounge has serious crowding issues.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Silver, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by asnovici
AA for food and wine. UA doesn’t offer wine list and just gives whatever they loaded.
Such a tumble. I remember when Polaris was introduced that the "wine flights" were a feature to help pax decide what to order with their meals. I accurately predicted that wine flights would be live a short life (UA exemplified "over-promise and under-deliver" with its over-the-top Polaris introduction). But to see that they have descended to the point of not offering a wine list . . . hmmmm. Flying Polaris ex-LHR this fall, with expectations set accordingly.
asnovici and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 10:51 am

I wouldn't go with AA or UA. It is much better to have a short flight, then a long one.

So FCO-FRA-BOS on LH or FCO-LHR-BOS on BA or FCO-CDG-BOS on AF are all better bets

Also you get the chance to Fly FC (Typically at a very small premium from Biz)
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Those chairs are located at several locations in the JFK FL. It's a nice lounge. The showers are not so deluxe as Polaris lounge, and it's older and less flashy, but the EWR Polaris lounge has serious crowding issues.
I totally agree, but those award seats are not available currently… They may open up, and AA offers free cancellation and re-deposit, but otherwise I will be connecting and greater New York City.

Also, the intra-European connections are experiencing long delays and cancellations…My brother’s recent flight through LHR was delayed to the point where he would have misconnected had his outbound flight back to Boston not been similarly delayed. His GF’s prior day flight was so late that it did get misconnect and she had to spend an extra night at Heathrow.

I guess the are similar prospects in NY.

Otherwise,, I would certainly take BA or LH over UA or AA anytime, although BAs extremely high cash redemption fees make LH a preferred option… Still, I’m happy with either if they open up more seats…For what it’s worth though, F transatlantic seems even more full on BA than LH, going by the number of available paid F for A seats.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 15, 2022 at 8:54 am Reason: Corrected invalid quote syntax
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: QF P1 LTG SQ PPS IHG Diamond Elite
It's a bit like comparing two different brands of frozen, processed fries in a supermarket.
asnovici, TPJ, Antarius and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:27 am

I can think of worse places to have a delay than the CCR :-)
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by dkc192
The main advantage of Polaris lounges over Flagship lounges is that they have a la carte dining and tended bars.
To me it’s the complete opposite. I don’t want a bartender nor sit down menu.
Antarius and jljones78 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
It looks like there are some nice tan lounge chairs with Ottomans in the quiet room, Maybe there are more of these chairs spread out with the Ottomans and the rest of the lounge, or maybe they were to feel to be practical options.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Those chairs are located at several locations in the JFK FL.
Some very well positioned ones by the windows, if you can get them.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: Star alliance Gold, United 1K
UA Polaris IAH to LHR and back

July 12 Polaris from LHR to IAH had no menus, no wine list and food was terrible. As an added negative, the crew was a bit surly. I couldn’t help but compare it to the Swiss Air flight with AMAZING food and attentive, friendly FAs, from which I had just deplaned. The only thing the UA flight was better at was the biz class seat, but mine (8A) was broken.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Seats are a toss up IMO assuming we're talking about 1-2-1 Polaris business vs. AA 772 Super Diamond (all forward facing) setups. They each have their nuances but are both lie flat, all aisle access.
More nuance with the Polaris seats, and not necessarily in a good way. One significant issue with those is that about half of them are angled and make one feel that they’re halfway in the aisle. Definitely inferior to the AA SD seats.

The ones that are facing straight ahead have much more privacy and would agree that it’s more of a toss up when comparing that one.

Originally Posted by dkc192
The main advantage of Polaris lounges over Flagship lounges is that they have a la carte dining and tended bars.
Originally Posted by enviroian
To me it’s the complete opposite. I don’t want a bartender nor sit down menu.
The PLs still offer a buffet, if sit down menu isn’t your thing.

Self-pour at the FLs certainly has its advantages. Not having to wait in a long line at the bar for a drink is one of those.

Not sure if it’s related, but the PLs offer better wines than what I’ve seen in the FLs though, and tend to carry more alcohol options overall.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by econ
Not sure if it’s related, but the PLs offer better wines than what I’ve seen in the FLs though, and tend to carry more alcohol options overall.
Not just the wines (although I do love The Prisoner red blend that's offered), but the quality of the alcohol options is also noticeably better in the PLs (offering Nikka and Balvenie whisky, for example).

-FlyerBeek
lrdpenn likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Not just the wines (although I do love The Prisoner red blend that's offered), but the quality of the alcohol options is also noticeably better in the PLs (offering Nikka and Balvenie whisky, for example).
Personally, I’m a big Prisoner fan and don’t need anything else unless you’re going up to $80 Caymus or something like that!
FlyerBeek and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 15, 2022 at 8:56 am Reason: Corrected invalid quote syntax
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
The PL is probably a better place to park yourself for multiple hours. But if I were you with that much time, I would do JFK, take a field trip to the TWA terminal on arrival (if you haven't been), and then go to the AA FL for a couple hours after. Any lounge will get old after a few hours.

FWIW I like the AA's Casper bedding better, it's all a bit firmer (my preference), especially the pillow. UA's Saks pillow is way to squishy, although the gel pillow makes up for that somewhat, if you have it.

On liquor, PLs are a clear step up from FLs. In theory I like the FL's attempt at making your own cocktails but the lack of good ice is really frustrating. The ice from the coke machine is just terrible for cocktails...drinks get so watered down.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
On liquor, PLs are a clear step up from FLs. In theory I like the FL's attempt at making your own cocktails but the lack of good ice is really frustrating. The ice from the coke machine is just terrible for cocktails...drinks get so watered down.
So as I’ve mentioned, I’m a big fan of the Prisoner red blend, which I understand is staple in the FL. What red wine us being offered in PL that’s prefereable/superior?

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 15, 2022 at 8:56 am Reason: Removed superfluous spacing in quote
Old Aug 14, 2022, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
So as I’ve mentioned, I’m a big fan of the Prisoner red blend, which I understand is staple in the FL. What red wine us being offered in PL that’s prefereable/superior?
You've got the lounges mixed up. The Prisoner is the red wine in the PL. I cannot think of any staple premium red offered in the FL (although I do love the LPGS Champagne offered in FFD).

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.