Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does the credit card name have to match your name in account to use miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2022, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

My name is different on my credit card vs what's in my account (like a shorter version of it). Anyone know if the credit card must match the name when using frequent flyer points?
Old Aug 5, 2022, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Yes..I can't comment on whether your specific case is close enough that it will work or not though. If it's a middle name or a dual last name, I haven't seen any issues in the past. If it's a totally different name, it won't work.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

First name difference. Think like Elizabeth vs Liz. Or William vs Bill. The rest is the same.

I recall having an issue where the card and my name didn't match and couldn't complete the transaction. But I can't remember if it was with AA or not.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It could be an issue. They are sensitive to people selling miles, and a red flag for that is if someone is using someone else's account to book travel. In your case that's not what you're doing, of course.

There have definitely been cases where people have complained about it not working when the names are completely different.

I would think that there would be some way around this. People regularly change names when they get married, for example. I'm not sure if you can change the name on your account to match.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It could be an issue. They are sensitive to people selling miles, and a red flag for that is if someone is using someone else's account to book travel. In your case that's not what you're doing, of course.

There have definitely been cases where people have complained about it not working when the names are completely different.

I would think that there would be some way around this. People regularly change names when they get married, for example. I'm not sure if you can change the name on your account to match.
The problem is if I change the name in my account then the ticket won't match my passport or driver's license. Hence the dilemma.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
One workaround is if your card offers free authorized users you could always sign up for an AU in the name that matches your AA account.

But before you go through that trouble I would just try booking an award first, if the names are close like Bill/William or Liz/Elizabeth I doubt you'll have a problem booking over the phone. I would just give them the first name that matches the AA account and see if the system will take it, not sure how "strict" it is.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 5:37 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
The credit card that I use on my AA account simply has my initials and surname. No trouble using it.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Just use your "account name" as the cardholder name. Easy peasy. Done it dozens of times. The cardholder name is never verified. You could use "Mickey Mouse" and it would still work.
Antarius, seawolf and GUWonder like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn
Just use your "account name" as the cardholder name. Easy peasy. Done it dozens of times. The cardholder name is never verified. You could use "Mickey Mouse" and it would still work.
Good point - it is a front end page validation only. I've bypassed it by just calling the method directly as well
Old Aug 6, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist
As above I don’t think it checks the name other than against the aa account. My old card had junior on it but my new one doesn’t. It works everywhere but aa, which makes me add the junior in the card name field to match my aa account or the payment fails due to non matching name.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
One workaround is if your card offers free authorized users you could always sign up for an AU in the name that matches your AA account.

But before you go through that trouble I would just try booking an award first, if the names are close like Bill/William or Liz/Elizabeth I doubt you'll have a problem booking over the phone. I would just give them the first name that matches the AA account and see if the system will take it, not sure how "strict" it is.
Problem is to do that I have to use my SSN and my SSN will already be the main account holder. Not sure if they'll allow it. Maybe I'll give it a try now.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deleted
Old Aug 6, 2022, 10:30 am

The system (whether inputted by you or the agent) does not validate cardholder name. As with most payment authentication systems, they'll confirm card#, cvc, and zip.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 22calbr
The system (whether inputted by you or the agent) does not validate cardholder name. As with most payment authentication systems, they'll confirm card#, cvc, and zip.
The AA webpage does aunthenticate the name and errors out prior to submit.
​​​​​
​​​​​​However, if you put your name and someone else's card, the back end takes it with no issue. As you said, it validates the card #, cvc and zip.

AA seems to have skipped coding 101 - never rely on UI validations alone.
JetAirways77W and GUWonder like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The AA.com bank card name field need not be filled in per the name on the bank card being used for the transaction. Some customers just take the name as on the FFP account to enter into the bank card name fields on aa.com while ignoring the actual names on the bank card.

Changing the bank card account address to be the same as the FFP account address is not even generally necessary for the transaction to process.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 6, 2022 at 12:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.