Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Discussion and data points: SWUs lost on July 31, 2022 due to long wait times, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion and data points: SWUs lost on July 31, 2022 due to long wait times, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
Do you have a blue checkmark? It's bizarre that the wait time would be 5 minutes for some and 8 hours for others.
This is pretty standard AA operating on social media. Sometimes they respond almost instantly, especially to positive feedback. But if you complain or have a more complicated issue they sometimes just ghost you.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by olouie
This is pretty standard AA operating on social media. Sometimes they respond almost instantly, especially to positive feedback. But if you complain or have a more complicated issue they sometimes just ghost you.
Right, but we're talking about identical requests. There has to be a reason some people got almost instantaneous action while others were left waiting for 8+ hours.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:16 pm

Right, but we're talking about identical requests. There has to be a reason some people got almost instantaneous action while others were left waiting for 8+ hours.
Only thought is if they have a lot of followers, are a blogger or blue check mark. Other than that its a crap shoot. My friend and I are both EXP roughly same flight patterns - we've been on trips where he will get quick response and handling and I get generic response hours later for basically same request. Then on other trips its opposite. Neither of us have many twitter followers or are famous/bloggers etc.
Antarius and js1993 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by olouie
Only thought is if they have a lot of followers, are a blogger or blue check mark. ...
Right, curious if that applies to @DMPHL. I saw blue-check blogger "Johnny Jet" bragging about getting service in just 5 minutes right before the deadline, but most people seemed to be waiting at least a couple hours.
olouie likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right, curious if that applies to @DMPHL. I saw blue-check blogger "Johnny Jet" bragging about getting service in just 5 minutes right before the deadline, but most people seemed to be waiting at least a couple hours.
I'm not sure if this is related or not but this has happened to me multiple times: I've called the EXP line during a busy time (usually due to weather in a major hub), been quoted a multi-hour wait time, opted to stay on the line (instead of getting a callback) and gotten through in under 15 minutes (sometimes under a minute)
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm not sure if this is related or not but this has happened to me multiple times: I've called the EXP line during a busy time (usually due to weather in a major hub), been quoted a multi-hour wait time, opted to stay on the line (instead of getting a callback) and gotten through in under 15 minutes (sometimes under a minute)
Yes, the quoted wait time is known to be unreliable — maybe intentionally so, to encourage using the callback option — but there has to be a reason some people wait 5 minutes while others are left waiting 4+ or even 8+ hours on the same day at the same time, which happened on Sunday between the hours of noon and midnight. Seemed to happen both by phone and on Twitter to people with the same AA status.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
A complaint only takes two minutes and it's possible AA will relent. It would be foolish not to do so:

https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escompla...nsumerForm.cfm
I was thiniking AA complaint, did not think of US DOT. Will give it a shot Thank you
LowValueCustomer and js1993 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, the quoted wait time is known to be unreliable — maybe intentionally so, to encourage using the callback option — but there has to be a reason some people wait 5 minutes while others are left waiting 4+ or even 8+ hours on the same day at the same time, which happened on Sunday between the hours of noon and midnight. Seemed to happen both by phone and on Twitter to people with the same AA status.
My point is that when I opt for the callback, it does take hours. I know that you are supposed to keep your spot in the queue but it's happened to me enough that I suspect that you often skip the queue if you stay on the line. It's impossible for me to be sure, of course.

I'm not sure if the 5 minute people stayed on the line or opted for the callback. As for Twitter, I have no idea; I don't even have a Twitter account and so I've never dealt with that team.
js1993 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
My point is that when I opt for the callback, it does take hours. I know that you are supposed to keep your spot in the queue but it's happened to me enough that I suspect that you often skip the queue if you stay on the line. It's impossible for me to be sure, of course.

I'm not sure if the 5 minute people stayed on the line or opted for the callback. As for Twitter, I have no idea; I don't even have a Twitter account and so I've never dealt with that team.
My theory is that there might be additional sorting based on Eagle Score or whatever AA calls it, but I suppose it could just be another case of AA's poor IT in action.

I'm not on Twitter, either. I find it absolutely bizarre that any company would force its customers to join a third-party site — and in Twitter's case, a third-party site known to be toxic — in order to get that company's fastest customer service response times.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
My theory is that there might be additional sorting based on Eagle Score or whatever AA calls it, but I suppose it could just be another case of AA's poor IT in action.

I'm not on Twitter, either. I find it absolutely bizarre that any company would force its customers to join a third-party site — and in Twitter's case, a third-party site known to be toxic — in order to get that company's fastest customer service response times.
This checks out because as an almost certainly low Eagle Score EXP (a LowValueCustomer), I've never once had a good response time on Twitter, though I do use it fairly regularly, typically because I'm in-flight and can't call the EXP line. I always reference my AAdvantage number as my "EXP number" too, so it's not like they are unaware of the status level. The response time others get has not been my experience.
js1993 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I seriously doubt I have a high score.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Do you have a blue checkmark? It's bizarre that the wait time would be 5 minutes for some and 8 hours for others.
definitely not haha. Usually on Twitter it's at least a two hour wait for any response, and on the phone I was waiting for an hour before giving up. I think I may have just hit a sweet spot with that 8-minute response time. And for some reason, on 31 July, the Twitter team seemed faster than even the EXP line, which has not been my experience in the last year.
js1993 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 9:23 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
From the points guy:

Remember that this team is overwhelmed with volume. Until the airline brings on more agents to help, you can expect a bit of a wait. In 2016, the average wait time for a response was 36 minutes. On the day I visited, I saw that the response time was 31 minutes. While algorithms try to highlight urgent needs, I was surprised to see that messages are elite-blind and responded to in chronological order. However, when the wait time gets too long, AAdvantage elites and those with high followers will receive preferential treatment.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/ame...ial-media-hub/
Old Aug 4, 2022, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
This checks out because as an almost certainly low Eagle Score EXP (a LowValueCustomer), I've never once had a good response time on Twitter, though I do use it fairly regularly, typically because I'm in-flight and can't call the EXP line. I always reference my AAdvantage number as my "EXP number" too, so it's not like they are unaware of the status level. The response time others get has not been my experience.
I've had both extremes and everything in the middle.

AA can't make a basic website function properly. They can't manage call queues. There's no way that they have some super sophisticated way of figuring out who to queue.

Heck, there was a CK who reported the same issues above.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 10:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
A complaint only takes two minutes and it's possible AA will relent. It would be foolish not to do so:

https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escompla...nsumerForm.cfm
Does the DOT take an interest in frequent flyer benefits?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.