Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Need to drop one pax from an itn half flown best way to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond

So never had to do this before, wanted some good advice from those who have done so already.

flying two pax on one record locator
mia-phx-mia

both pax fine as is on the outbound
however one pax will not be making the return.
So far none of the itn has been flown.
1) can I simply call aa and just cancel the one return leg for one pax and leave the other intact?
2) assuming I can do 1, can I get a refund to the original form of payment for the one leg of the one pax not making the return?
3) if this change is not possible what happens if only one pax checks in for the return flight?
will they have any issues if the other person never checks in?
this was paid for with dollars not miles fyi.

any issues I should be aware of before I attempt this?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
So never had to do this before, wanted some good advice from those who have done so already.

flying two pax on one record locator
mia-phx-mia

both pax fine as is on the outbound
however one pax will not be making the return.
So far none of the itn has been flown.
1) can I simply call aa and just cancel the one return leg for one pax and leave the other intact?
2) assuming I can do 1, can I get a refund to the original form of payment for the one leg of the one pax not making the return?
3) if this change is not possible what happens if only one pax checks in for the return flight?
will they have any issues if the other person never checks in?
this was paid for with dollars not miles fyi.
It's no problem to cancel one pax off a PNR. Just call AA after you fly the outbound and cancel the return segment for the other pax. Whether you'll get a refund or a travel credit (or nothing at all) depends on the fare rules.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
You don’t even need to call. You can cancel on the app (after flying the outbound). If you are due a refund or a credit, that should happen automatically (although sometimes you do need to call for that).
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Blumie
You don’t even need to call. You can cancel on the app (after flying the outbound). If you are due a refund or a credit, that should happen automatically (although sometimes you do need to call for that).
But unless something has changed you do have to call to cancel just one person from a PNR with multiple pax.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 10:00 am

Two of six passengers on a single itinerary did not fly the return leg on a recent AA flight. We tried to cancel via app ( not able to), by phone (couldn’t get through in a timely manner). We ultimately informed AA at the airport upon check in that 2 in our party were not going to travel on that flight- so they were cancelled. Several calls to AA to inquire about remaining flight value-the answer was NONE. So in our case no residual value for the unflown segments.

Last edited by Redeemed; Aug 2, 2022 at 10:00 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 2, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Somewhat related:

I had purchased a MSY-NYC-MSY ticket with the first leg operated by B6 and the return by AA. After taking the outbound flight this past Saturday, I decided on Sunday to change my return to Sunday rather than Monday. The app did not allow me to make the change -- I think because I had used a flight credit when I purchased that ticket, though perhaps because of the combined B6/AA itinerary -- so I had to call AA. After waiting half an hour for a callback, I immediately was disconnected, so had to get in the queue again. At this point I was worried about losing my desired flight or fare -- I was flying that same day -- so rather than wait, I just purchased the new ticket and canceled the old one, in both cases directly on the app. I knew that would generate a flight credit for the canceled flight, but it never appeared in my AA wallet.

So today I booked MSY-BTV/NYC-MSY and put it on hold. I then called AA -- today I got right through -- and explained to the agent that I wanted to purchase the new ticket using the flight credit from this past weekend's canceled flight. She said she had to put me on hold to call revenue management, but she accidentally hung up on me instead. I called back immediately and immediately got another agent on the line. While the second agent was reviewing my records, the first agent called back. I asked the second agent to remain on hold, and I'm glad I did; the first agent came on the line and said that the flight credit could not be applied since it was a B6 ticket. She said it only could be applied to another B6 fare. I politely ended the call with her, and fortunately the second agent still was on the line. She said that sounded incorrect to her; the first leg, which I actually flew, was B6, but the canceled leg was AA. She got revenue management back on the line, and then came back on the line to tell me that the credit would be applied to the new reservation, which she did.

So a bit of a pain, but it all worked out.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Blumie
If OP is doing the following, then a call is necessary.
Passenger 1 flying MIA-PHX-MIA
Passenger 2 flying just MIA-PHX

After flying the outbound OP will need to call AA to split the PNR resulting in two reservations each with a single passenger. Afterwards OP can then then cancel passenger's 2 PNR.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 10:08 pm

If the fare rules don't grant you any refund or credit you can also just do nothing at all rather than wasting your time on a phone call. Passenger 1 will have no problem checking in for the return without Passenger 2.
seawolf likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 11:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Is there a reason both pax need to be on the same PNR on the outbound?

If not, you can split the PNR now, and rebook that one pax on a oneway. The difference between the RT fare paid and the OW fare at rebooking will be returned as a trip credit (original FOP if refundable)
BWISkyGuy and jordyn like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Use AA twitter to split the res. I love aa twitter, lots of stuff like splitting, add/drop a segment on an award, etc that should be doable on the app can be done by DM on twitter.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by shd9
Is there a reason both pax need to be on the same PNR on the outbound?

If not, you can split the PNR now, and rebook that one pax on a oneway. The difference between the RT fare paid and the OW fare at rebooking will be returned as a trip credit (original FOP if refundable)
That may well prove to be more expensive, if fares have gone up due to advance purchase requirements/availability or if the one-way fare is higher. Changing before the outbound is flown will reprice at today's one-way fares. Canceling after the outbound is flown will ensure the outbound is flown at the half-round trip rate, and then return the value of the return trip in the form of a credit.
shd9 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.