Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will we keep our Main Cabin Extra Seats?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Will we keep our Main Cabin Extra Seats?

Bought 3 CUN-JFK tickets for £713.40 in total

A month later, I realised the Main Plus upgrade would be cheaper than buying luggage and choosing Main Cabin Extra Seats. Spoke to Customer Service who said that the Main Plus Upgrade is only available when buying a ticket.

So I cancelled, got credit then got on the phone with Customer Service to rebook the flights, which they couldn't do from their end. So I book a flight, choose the Main Plus upgrade, chose Main Cabin Extra seats for free, and then put the booking on hold (£856.70). This then allows the agent to use my credits to buy the tickets.

The agent returns and tells me it's all done.... (was expecting to pay the cash difference), and each passenger now has £7 flight credit. Call ends.

So, checking the trip confirmation it's an Economy Q, and 1st bag will cost £25, but our seats are 8ABC.

Is this just good luck or will we be bounced off our seats during check-in?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
It looks to me like you were only moved to MCE seating and not upgraded to Main Plus as you wanted. MCE does not include bags. I think you need to call and check.

Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
It looks to me like you were only moved to MCE seating and not upgraded to Main Plus as you wanted. MCE does not include bags. I think you need to call and check.
That's right, I wasn't upgraded at all, but ended up with MCE seats for free. I am happy with this now though, if we don't get bumped off it due to an "error"
Mr. Vker likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tboyjnr
That's right, I wasn't upgraded at all, but ended up with MCE seats for free. I am happy with this now though, if we don't get bumped off it due to an "error"
IME once you have MCE seats you won't get moved, YMMV of course.
tboyjnr likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, AS
This happened when I called AA last year about a ticket for my mom that wasn’t linked to my status. The agent was able to select a MCE seat for free and told me, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” She didn’t lose the seat at check-in, but when a better MCE seat opened up, they wouldn’t allow her to change without paying the fee. The gate agent finally gave in because it was an empty row, and the social distancing argument worked nicely.

So if you keep your original flight and are happy with those seats, you should be OK.
tboyjnr likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by tboyjnr
I'd say its POSSIBLE you didn't get them for free. Maybe the fare changed a bit and the net result-including MCE was a credit??? In any event, I think you are good. Don't mess with it though.

Last year I paid for MCE for my daughter's family joining us in Cabo. Five in their party so nearly a full row-they were in row 9. Equipment changed greatly reducing the number of MCE, but they kept theirs. I always wondered how the system decided who got tossed.
tboyjnr likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kawliga
This happened when I called AA last year about a ticket for my mom that wasn’t linked to my status. The agent was able to select a MCE seat for free and told me, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” She didn’t lose the seat at check-in, but when a better MCE seat opened up, they wouldn’t allow her to change without paying the fee. The gate agent finally gave in because it was an empty row, and the social distancing argument worked nicely.

So if you keep your original flight and are happy with those seats, you should be OK.
That's good the hear!

Regarding changing seats, you're right, I would have to pay to move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.