Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
AA Reserves 50 Flying Taxis

From the Register: https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/..._airlines_vx4/

Originally Posted by The Register
"American Airlines has committed to making pre-delivery payments for 50 Vertical Aerospace VX4 electric VTOL aircraft.

The commitment comes just over a year after the aviation giant made a pre-order for 250 of the flying taxis, with an option for a further 100.

Vertical Aerospace claims its VX4 will be 100x quieter than a helicopter and have a top speed of 202mph. Its range will be at least 100 miles and it can carry five people (including the pilot). Being electric, the aircraft will also have zero operating emissions, the company said.

Electric VTOL aircraft have long been a dream of designers around the world. There was, for example, the "Puffin" of 2010, but the VX4 has eschewed the flying car concept in favor of what amounts to a flying taxi. The aircraft is, however, subject to certification. The European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) are to concurrently certify the machine with a view to operations commencing in the UK and Europe in 2025. A nod from the US Federal Aviation Agency (FAA) will also be needed before the VX4 can commence US operations.
[/snip]

Could be quite interesting, especially for short haul flights on the east coast with frequent service, such as DCA/NYC/BOS.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Again, it's going to come down to cost. Few people can afford helicopter rides to the airport and only top executives of medium and large companies generally allow for such a service. I think it more of a marketing campaign to show off "green concern."
the phoenix likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by EXP100
Again, it's going to come down to cost. Few people can afford helicopter rides to the airport and only top executives of medium and large companies generally allow for such a service. I think it more of a marketing campaign to show off "green concern."
Could be. I'm just thinking of my short hops such as BWI-PHL which was only 90 miles and was usually service by a Dash-8 before they went to the little ERJs. Could make more sense on some of those routes with less demand and short hops. Probably wouldn't change the travel time much with such a short distance.

But maybe it'll be expensive and more inline with the helicopter service like you said. I didn't see anything on seating capacity, so maybe they're smaller than a plane but bigger than a helicopter, allowing more people to share them at a lower cost than helicopter.

I'm not sure how net green in the end they'll be, as a lot of power plants are still powered by fossil fuels. So while the plane itself may be green, it's fuel source still isn't. And how long is the charge time? Would be comparable to refueling?

It'll be intersting to see answers to the questions.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The notice above and press releases say there is seating for 4 passengers (and 1 pilot).
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by Superguy
Could be. I'm just thinking of my short hops such as BWI-PHL which was only 90 miles and was usually service by a Dash-8 before they went to the little ERJs. Could make more sense on some of those routes with less demand and short hops. Probably wouldn't change the travel time much with such a short distance.

But maybe it'll be expensive and more inline with the helicopter service like you said. I didn't see anything on seating capacity, so maybe they're smaller than a plane but bigger than a helicopter, allowing more people to share them at a lower cost than helicopter.

I'm not sure how net green in the end they'll be, as a lot of power plants are still powered by fossil fuels. So while the plane itself may be green, it's fuel source still isn't. And how long is the charge time? Would be comparable to refueling?

I think I read elsewhere yesterday that the seating capacity of these is like 4 passengers.

Maybe put them on the federal small airport contracts to provide 'service' and collect the subsidy for payment!

Really, I just don't see this working within the current airline model, but maybe as a special request service for the billionaire class.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK
I think I read elsewhere yesterday that the seating capacity of these is like 4 passengers.

Maybe put them on the federal small airport contracts to provide 'service' and collect the subsidy for payment!

Really, I just don't see this working within the current airline model, but maybe as a special request service for the billionaire class.
I guess it all boils down to cost. If a ride from, say, DTLA to LAX, downtown Dallas to DFW or Manhattan to JFK is slightly higher than that of an Uber, I'd gladly pay that premium to avoid traffic.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by AADFW
I guess it all boils down to cost. If a ride from, say, DTLA to LAX, downtown Dallas to DFW or Manhattan to JFK is slightly higher than that of an Uber, I'd gladly pay that premium to avoid traffic.
Right, but I would bet the cost will be several times that of a uber, and if a significant number of these things are going, you have traffic of an entire different nature.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Could be quite interesting, especially for short haul flights on the east coast with frequent service, such as DCA/NYC/BOS.
Solving the airspeed congestion issue will be a challenge -- for just 4 passengers at a time.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus

Quick search on the Internet suggesting a price tag of Vertical Aerospace VX4 electric VTOL aircraft to be $4 million based on the information provided by Vertical Aerospace. The price tag of Bell B206 JetRanger helicopter which usually carry 3-4 passenger is at $700,000. I don't know how AA is planning to operate Vertical Aerospace VX4 electric VTOL aircraft with a passenger ticket price cheaper than passenger helicopter flight.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Quick search on the Internet suggesting a price tag of Vertical Aerospace VX4 electric VTOL aircraft to be $4 million based on the information provided by Vertical Aerospace. The price tag of Bell B206 JetRanger helicopter which usually carry 3-4 passenger is at $700,000. I don't know how AA is planning to operate Vertical Aerospace VX4 electric VTOL aircraft with a passenger ticket price cheaper than passenger helicopter flight.
Initial cost is not irrelevant, but operating cost (including maintenance, paying pilots, etc) is far more important assuming they are getting good utilization.

If you can do 10 one-ways per day and they last 10 years (these are totally made up numbers by the way), $700k is only $20 per trip, or about $7 per ticket if they average 3 pax per trip (assuming capacity of 4). I would expect ongoing costs to be much, much higher.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Right, but I would bet the cost will be several times that of a uber, and if a significant number of these things are going, you have traffic of an entire different nature.
Exactly if they use existing runways then what happens with ATC holds? No thanks I'd take my chances in an Uber.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by EXP100
Exactly if they use existing runways then what happens with ATC holds? No thanks I'd take my chances in an Uber.

Why would they use runways rather than helipads?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Blade has helicopter rides to/from NY area airports for $195 per person.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
This sounds like a total novelty for wealthy travelers.

Pretty much 100% non applicable to guys like me.
Repooc17 and ZonaFlyer like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:53 am

AA uses it for lobbying politicians...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.