Search

Cancellation Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
Cancellation Compensation

HI Everyone,

Curious what else to do in this situation, back in April my friend and i booked on the same one way ticket. Ticketed LHR-PHL-BGR. When we arrived to Philly we found out the flight to Bangor had been cancelled and the next flight was the next morning. They did give us a minimal meal voucher and a hotel. When we got back to the airport the next morning the further flight was delayed another 3-4 hours and we didn't get into Bangor until the afternoon. (after quite a bit of back and forth to even stay on the flight).

I wrote customer service and requested UK Compensation
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...-or-cancelled/

So far all that's happened is back in May, 7500 miles apology. I've written back further and they haven't answered at all. I have Plat Pro status and almost 2 million miles with them, I just want to get the correct compensation .What's the best way to take this further?

Thanks!

Chris
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:56 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
You probably have rights for additional compensation pursuant to the UK laws.
IMO, how much is your time worth? seems like a lot of work will be required to deal with AA for further compensation.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:01 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I thought the UK law (rule 261) was only for flights departing UK. Does it also apply to a connection flight in the USA?

OP - if your PHL-BGR cancelation was weather related, there will not be much more they can do. Same with the next day's connection. Did they cite reasons for both disruptions?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Certainly a fair question, i could also use one of the services, i just wondered if there was a better way with AA.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Arrival flight says "Due to ATC" according to one of my airline friends., but the next days flight was mechanical (it sat in a hanger getting fixed before we left).

Last edited by catwood; Jul 12, 2022 at 6:21 am
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:25 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
AA probably looks at this as:
1.) Your cancelation was remediated by hotel and meal voucher
2.) Your delayed flight was mechanical but did eventually get you there, which is all they are responsible for. Had that flight been canceled with no other options for you, they would have given another hotel, meal voucher(s), routed you maybe through BOS or another airline (do any others fly to BGR??), or offered you to cancel it and you would then be at the mercy of the refunds department to determine what part of your fare constituted that leg.

Not a good situation either way. Under DOT rules, I don't think you'll get anything because AA did accommodate you over night and you got there (eventually) the next day.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL
Not a good situation either way. Under DOT rules, I don't think you'll get anything because AA did accommodate you over night and you got there (eventually) the next day.
Assuming it was a single reservation, UK rules apply, since the trip was ex-UK (even though the flight in question was not)
wrp96 and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Some of the blogs covered this earlier this year but the EU compensation rules have been expanded to include connecting flights within the US, as long as everything was a single ticket originating in the EU. I assume the UK rules follow (?).

Below are two links I found as well as the master thread on FT, I might suggest moving this over to make sure you get the most visibility from our EU comp experts.

GUIDE: EC261 / EC 261/2004 “EU” complaints, compensation and AA

TPG: EU Compensation Law Applies to Some Domestic Flights

ThriftyTraveler Guide EU261 Compensation
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:02 am

What was the reason of cancellation to Bangor? If nothing extraordinary, you are owed 600 euros.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smartytravel
What was the reason of cancellation to Bangor? If nothing extraordinary, you are owed 600 euros.
It says ATC (I had a friend that works for the airline look).
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by smartytravel
From above the original cancellation was ATC, but the next day's delay was mechanical. The ATC is most likely considered out of the control of the airline but the mechanical isn't, so I will still try for the UK261 compensation.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:08 am
Original Poster

I did another full American Airlines form - (i'm not convinced they were getting the replies) i guess i should use the UK CAA form if they say no?
Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:49 am

Hello everyone.
Really need help regarding my situation please....

I purchased an open-jaw business class flight (LHR-MIA-BOG BOG-MIA-LHR-DUB).
Cost me around £2,000

The outgoing was fine. However, the incoming was a complete mess.

The BOG-MIA was delayed for 11hrs 30mins. Instead of departing at 6am, it actually departed at 5:30pm.
This of course meant I missed my transatlantic BA flight (LHR-MIA) and was put in a Miami airport overnight.

I explained to the call agent that there is no point in rebooking the last leg (LHR-DUB) as my meeting has been missed. (This is true. I was not hoping to do a hidden ticketing move).
I actually had a DUB-LHR booking on a separate ticket to get me back to London after my meeting.

So I was put on an American Airlines flight for the following evening after my arrival in Miami.
My trip ended in LHR approx 24hrs after it should have.

As a result of the delay, I have incurred substantial costs (e.g. airport parking late penalty, rebooking my Dublin trip for the rescheduled meeting, missed a day of work).
I was told by the call agent that I could fill in a form online that will pay out compensation so I did.
They just got back to me with a measly $50 trip voucher.

Under the EU laws (or maybe even DOT), shouldn't I be entitled to hundreds of dollars?? I think I read 700 somewhere.
Does having a business class ticket mean the compensation should be more than an economy ticket?
I think AA are fobbing me off with the $50. Feel pretty insulted.

Thanks all
Old Sep 11, 2022, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
tarman121 UK/EU 261 does not apply here because the initial delay was on a flight sector that (a) does not touch the UK/EU and (b) was operated by a non UK/EU airline.

FYI compensation under the 261 regulation is fixed and is not cabin or status dependent.

Therefore any compensation / reimbursement comes under AA and US DoT policies and regulations.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
tarman121 you are in a tough spot with the US DOT and the rules here as UKtravelbear stated. If your an AA member, I would make an extra call or email AA customer service and state the facts and how much OUT OF POCKET you expererienced. If your AA member, they may drop of bunch of loyalty points into your account for pain and suffering
good luck

btw- what was the reason of the 11 1/2 hour delay BOG-MIA? Did they tell you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.