Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2022, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NickP 1K

London Heathrow (LHR) Reductions- Travel Notice Exception Policy

If you're traveling to / through / from:

• London Heathrow, London, United Kingdom (LHR)

Your change fee is waived if you:

• Are traveling on an American Airlines flight
  • Are booked in any fare class, including Basic Economy
  • Bought your ticket by July 26, 2022
  • Are scheduled to travel July 14 - August 7, 2022
  • Can travel July 14, 2022 - December 31, 2022
  • Can change origin and destination
  • For any changes, difference in fare may apply
Keep in mind changes must be:
  • Booked by August 7, 2022
  • Completed within 1 year of original ticket date; difference in fare may apply
https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/blog/2022/travel_advisory/lhr-flexibility-travel-notice-exception-policy.html
Print Wikipost

AA LHR experiences summer 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Next week will be even worse, most UK kids are out of school towards back end of the week
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:12 pm

Hi all,

How is the AA Flagship First check-in in LHR faring at the moment in terms of wait times and queues? Its a quite small space with doesn't work well with the physical building design, and I'm not sure how it fares now that the AA flights have moved back to from Terminal 5 to Terminal 3. I'm on AA47 (LHR-ORD) at 11am on a Sunday.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP / CK
I went through LHR late June when AA still went through T5. All was entirely normal. Took me very little time to collect my checked back (actually re-checked in T5 that day for a separately ticketed BA flight and was easy).

I left from LHR lasts week on AA out of T3. Flagship check in was nice but nothing as special as it used to be there. No lines at AA in any class. Security was a queue of about 45 minutes for Fast Track. Only two lanes were open out of about 8 which explained it.

CX lounge was open and exactly as nice as before. I didn't explore QF or BA lounge at T3 and as is well documented AA remains closed.

The usual chaos at the gate but nothing notable there. Flight was 100% sold out. LAX a breeze on this end with Global Entry.

If your flight is cancelled or they lose your bags I think you're in for it; otherwise just give time to clear security and you'll be good!
Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by maat777
I went through LHR late June when AA still went through T5. All was entirely normal. Took me very little time to collect my checked back (actually re-checked in T5 that day for a separately ticketed BA flight and was easy).

I left from LHR lasts week on AA out of T3. Flagship check in was nice but nothing as special as it used to be there. No lines at AA in any class. Security was a queue of about 45 minutes for Fast Track. Only two lanes were open out of about 8 which explained it.

CX lounge was open and exactly as nice as before. I didn't explore QF or BA lounge at T3 and as is well documented AA remains closed.

The usual chaos at the gate but nothing notable there. Flight was 100% sold out. LAX a breeze on this end with Global Entry.

If your flight is cancelled or they lose your bags I think you're in for it; otherwise just give time to clear security and you'll be good!
thank you for sharing your experiences!
Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:51 pm

that makes no sense. If it is an illegal connection, AA can’t sell it. Programmed in Sabre — unless there is an error

Originally Posted by phllax
Our friends were booked via AA on TLV-LHR-LAX with a 1:20 connection in London, both legs on BA metal on July 3.

Flight from TLV landed early, all was fine until they got to the e gates and they get a red X. Agent tells them that since the connection is under 90 minutes they don’t consider it valid, even though AA sells the connection and would not honor it. They ultimately got back to LAX that night via DFW.

When they called AA the next day, AA said they sell a 1:20 connection at LHR as it’s close enough to 1:30 that it shouldn’t matter.
Simon Schus likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:56 pm

Have the CX F and QF Business lounges been excessively busy with the morning AA departures?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Does AA have its own security line? Perhaps their baggage handlers are staffed better than BA, but who knows.

otherwise why would anyone expect things to be better than BA, where the BA forum is reporting an unprecedented clusterf**k.

doesn't matter how easy you bags moved in June. If it’s over 104 degrees, don’t expect your bags to make it in the plane.

Arrivals should be safer than connections or departures.

My early June Ba to BA t-5 transfer was horrible. Took over an hour through security even as expedited for a handicap. Things have gotten worse since then.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
On Monday I arrived at approx 7PM into T5 off an European short haul on BA.

Was quite surprised when bags arrived after approx 10 mins waiting at the belt.. Was expecting it to be much longer.

TBH there is no such thing as a generic LHR 'experience' as it varies so much between airlines and terminals and even time of day.

Even if you hear that say T3 has issues they could be restricted to VS baggage or KLs baggage or AAs baggage as they are not dependent on each other.

One day VS could have staff problems then next it could be AA and so on.
Dont the work regulations apply to all?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:02 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by Simon Schus
Have the CX F and QF Business lounges been excessively busy with the morning AA departures?
CX yes, QF no. I flew out yesterday and I’ve never seen the CX lounge so busy in my life. It was a solid 90% full. QF was calm as bits. I would recommend getting your food and shower at CX and leaving for QF straight away thereafter.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by GaryZ
I got the same for my LHR flight today, thought it interesting it doesn't say 'why' *roll eyes*
The problem with that notice is you can only extend it until Dec 31, 2022, if your ticket is less than 1 year old when you travel
My ticket is over a year old. Additionally, I am traveling a few days after July 25. So AA thinks this wil all be cleared up within the next 7 days?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I've just used my last four 2021 SWUs to upgrade family friends (four of them) from LHR-USA in a couple of days (luxury tax OMG).

1. Do they really need to be at Heathrow Terminal 3, three hours before departure?
2. Is Checking Bags inadvisable this week (has the heatwave done something to the baggage handling equipment?) Is Zone D still the place to go for Flagship Checkin?
3. If YES, are the agents being strict with weights and dimensions at the gate for the Business Cabin -- I am pretty sure they can do the trip with carry-on only, but who knows how heavy the bags might be.
4. Is the Cathay lounge still Number One, followed by Qantas and then BA Galleries? They will want a hearty breakfast and plenty of Champagne and a bit of peace and quiet, nothing more.

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:29 pm

Flying into LHR T5B end of June, connecting to T2 was quite a mess. ATC restrictions had us arrive late, then it took 40 minutes total to wait for a gate and then wait for ground crew. No connections busses from T5B so had to walk over to main T5. Only 3 security lanes open when arriving at T2 with a 45 minute queue got even longer when one of the lanes closed for lunch. The metal detector seemed to be overly sensitive, I only had a belt on which usually never triggers it, but everyone seemed to set it off and get pulled aside for additional screening. Total time from touchdown to my gate at T2 was just shy of 2 hours, not including ATC delay. Fortunately delays seemed to be across the board or I would have missed my connection.

Yesterday arriving into LHR T5, connecting to T3. Another ATC delay held us at the departure airport for an extra 20 minutes. Arriving at LHR was a short delay waiting for ground crew to bring us in. Connections busses seemed to be only 2 total between T5/T3 (one going each direction at the same time) so there was a good queue and not enough space so I had to wait for the 2nd bus. Connections security at T3 was a breeze, maybe 15 minutes but that was because a couple busses arrived just before mine. By the time I got through security there was no one in the queue at all.

Early afternoon CX lounge at T3 was a bit disappointing. Not all that busy but must have been a good crowd before me as most of the food was out and tables dirty and full of dishes. It was getting cleaned/replenished as I was leaving to my flight. The food I did get was decent enough, though. The AC lounge is allegedly closed but when I walked past heading to my gate it was definitely staffed.

Arrival at LAX through Global Entry was amazing. First time I've used facial recognition. Took about 8 seconds, didn't need to scan my passport or take fingerprints. I think that's the most efficient I've ever seen immigration at any airport and for LAX that's pretty remarkable. The non-Global Entry lanes looked like maybe a 10 minute queue, if that. There were a lot of agents and people were getting through pretty quick.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by mxracer95
The AC lounge is allegedly closed but when I walked past heading to my gate it was definitely staffed.
The lounge is closed to passengers but is being used as an AA customer assistance center.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by fastflyer
1. Do they really need to be at Heathrow Terminal 3, three hours before departure?
These days, yes. I would follow guidance, at wouldn't leave myself less than 3 hours.
2. Is Checking Bags inadvisable this week (has the heatwave done something to the baggage handling equipment?)
I wouldn't worry too much about checking bags, though I'm sure given the state of things at Heathrow that the heat will be blamed for all manner of failings.
3. If YES, are the agents being strict with weights and dimensions at the gate for the Business Cabin -- I am pretty sure they can do the trip with carry-on only, but who knows how heavy the bags might be.
I've never in my life had a carry on bag weighed at Heathrow before an AA flight. And I'm not that young.
4. Is the Cathay lounge still Number One, followed by Qantas and then BA Galleries? They will want a hearty breakfast and plenty of Champagne and a bit of peace and quiet, nothing more.
CX is still the best option. I haven't been to QF or BA since before the pandemic, but if CX were rammed and insufficiently quiet, QF would be a good alternative, if not analogue (assuming we're talking about the business side of the CX lounge).
Parkdesigner and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
^Thank you Microwave !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.