Search

DCA valet check efficiency

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:36 am
_fx
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
DCA valet check efficiency

I have a 30 min connection in DCA between 2 CRJ700s. My roller bag won’t fit in the overhead. How fast is valet check in DCA most days? Can I afford to wait for my bag at the jetbridge and then sprint? Or should I just check the bag thru at my origin?

Thanks in advance for insights.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
It's tight, but I think you'll be ok, especially if both flights depart from the new Terminal E.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by _fx
I have a 30 min connection in DCA between 2 CRJ700s. My roller bag won’t fit in the overhead. How fast is valet check in DCA most days? Can I afford to wait for my bag at the jetbridge and then sprint? Or should I just check the bag thru at my origin?

Thanks in advance for insights.
I like to cut things close but I would not do that these days. Usually they come up pretty quick but sometimes it can take 10 minutes. And if you're already 10 minutes late for any reason (not uncommon with CR7s) then you are hosed.

The connection is much safer for a checked bag, they know how to get those bags loaded and the bags don't have a T-10 door close time like self-loading cargo does.

I've had to run to make two connections recently (both at PHL, both were 45 minutes, but from regional in terminal F to mainline in terminal B) and I 100% would not have made them if I had to wait on valet bags. For one of the flights, 9 other pax had the same connection but we were the only ones who made the flight (we ran, got on the shuttle right as it left F, and got to the gate right at T-10).
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:20 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
These aren't normal times. If they're short a staff member, it could easily impact how long it takes to get you your bag. If it were me, I'd check it for peace of mind. Also, it will help you run faster if your first flight is delayed and you find yourself racing for your next gate.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:33 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
All good points above. I always check on tight connections - 1. Don't have to stress waiting up to 10 minutes for the bag if valeted and 2. easier to run without a checked bag. I would definitely check on this itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.