Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did I just blow an SWU on PE?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Did I just blow an SWU on PE?

I am on AA716 on a Y (S) ticket and was on the upgrade list (SWU) - 3rd on the list - 1 and 2 cleared and when I got to the gate (running, because my FLL flight was delayed) the agent said - hi Mr Flying Geek. Sorry, there is no more space in Business. I have a a middle seat in PE - would you prefer that over the Aisle seat in Coach? I said yes - got a boarding pass and by the time I sat down I noticed that the Boarding Pass says “Business” and the Class is C ( I am in row 15). I had gotten the occasional free upgrade from Y->PE in the past and the thought hadn’t occurred to me that this seat might cost me a SWU. There is no SWU taken out of the account (yet) and in the upgrade list my name did not have a check mark for cleared.
My bags didn’t make the flight - so will probably have to deal with CS anyways at some point.

1, Any thoughts if I blew an SWU on PE?
2, Assuming I did, is it reasonable to complain that they should make it clearer that a PE upgrade might cost you an SWU?

If I blew it - I blew it -but if I did, I figured this message might serve as a warning to think properly before accepting a PE seat at the gate
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No way. If it gets pulled you should be able to get it reinstated
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by flying_geek
I am on AA716 on a Y (S) ticket and was on the upgrade list (SWU) - 3rd on the list - 1 and 2 cleared and when I got to the gate (running, because my FLL flight was delayed) the agent said - hi Mr Flying Geek. Sorry, there is no more space in Business. I have a a middle seat in PE - would you prefer that over the Aisle seat in Coach? I said yes - got a boarding pass and by the time I sat down I noticed that the Boarding Pass says “Business” and the Class is C ( I am in row 15). I had gotten the occasional free upgrade from Y->PE in the past and the thought hadn’t occurred to me that this seat might cost me a SWU. There is no SWU taken out of the account (yet) and in the upgrade list my name did not have a check mark for cleared.
My bags didn’t make the flight - so will probably have to deal with CS anyways at some point.

1, Any thoughts if I blew an SWU on PE?
2, Assuming I did, is it reasonable to complain that they should make it clearer that a PE upgrade might cost you an SWU?

If I blew it - I blew it -but if I did, I figured this message might serve as a warning to think properly before accepting a PE seat at the gate
If an SWU is removed from your account, I recommend calling AAdvantage Customer Service and explaining that you were not accommodated in business class and request that the SWU be refunded. They are not good for "upgrade" from Y to PE; they are good for upgrade from Y to J.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
OP monitor your account to make sure it wasn't yanked. SWU's aren’t redeemed for PE only J or F.

Last edited by enviroian; Jun 30, 2022 at 6:58 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Thanks for the quick feedback
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
OP monitor your account to make sure it wasn't yanked. SWU's are redeemed for PE only J or F.
That should be "aren't redeemed for PE"
enviroian likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
If your boarding pass says Priority Business and the booking code says "C", you are upgraded to Business, and gotten a seat assignment in PE. As such, the SWU will be pulled.

According to current rules, an upgrade to PE should not take an SWU. The best way is probably to email [email protected] and request it to be re-instated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.