Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA: CK
Mobile ID

Anyone try it yet?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/.../mobile-id.jsp

Use your selfie through the airport

Save time at the airport and enjoy your travel experience sooner with Mobile ID. The program helps you move through different points of interest without handing over your boarding pass or ID. No more searching for everything you need while carrying your bags.

Use Mobile ID at:
  • TSA PreCheck: Share your American Airlines Mobile ID QR code and scan your face at Security to pass through the checkpoint with ease.
  • The Admirals Club®: Skip the line for lounge entry with Mobile ID. Scan your face on a tablet to verify your lounge membership.
American Airlines Mobile ID is available through the Airside: Digital Identity app and accepted and verified by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and American Airlines for club services.

Last edited by aztimm; Jun 26, 2022 at 11:53 am Reason: FT Rule External Links: https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules#externallinks
Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I was ready to try it at DFW A on Friday but the kiosk was broken and the TSA agent told me it actually takes a little longer than the “old fashioned” way.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For both TSA and AC, it only works at DFW right now.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used facial recognition for boarding and it wasn’t faster than scanning a BP.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:36 pm

I had the displeasure of passing through pre-check behind a couple trying to use this at BWI last week. They held up the line a solid 10 minutes trying to get it to work.

Please have your actual ID handy in case it doesn't work the first time.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by funnyfarm299
I had the displeasure of passing through pre-check behind a couple trying to use this at BWI last week. They held up the line a solid 10 minutes trying to get it to work.

Please have your actual ID handy in case it doesn't work the first time.
This works at BWI? The web page says DFW only.

Where else is it implemented?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
maybe, I am just old fashioned... show a id... have printed ticket... but that is just me..all without using my phone
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Great.. yet another app. Can we not do everything we need in 1 app when it comes to flying AA?

My state has a mobile ID app, although not sure where it is actually useful at this point. I'm not going to download 17 different mobile ID apps for everything I do.
sushanna1 and Landing Gear like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This works at BWI? The web page says DFW only.

Where else is it implemented?
The program at BWI is a different Mobile ID.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:12 am

What is the point of this program? You have to open the app, display the barcode, scan the barcode, then pose for a photo. That sounds much slower and less convenient than simply handing over your drivers license or state ID.

All I can guess is that it’s an effort to collect facial recognition data for some future face-only program that won’t require a barcode.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:32 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
They have been using facial recognition software for boarding all of my flights to Canada over that last ~8 months. I'm assuming they are using a passport photo database for this?
Not that I'm necessarily a George Orwell enthusiast, but I don't recall any explicit consent that was asked of me to be able to board this way.
Landing Gear likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DreAAmliner
They have been using facial recognition software for boarding all of my flights to Canada over that last ~8 months. I'm assuming they are using a passport photo database for this?
Not that I'm necessarily a George Orwell enthusiast, but I don't recall any explicit consent that was asked of me to be able to board this way.
I first encountered this flying MCO-FRA on LH and I recall seeing a little sign stating it was voluntary and that your information would be deleted after a short period of time.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
As one poster put it perfectly. Tech is great. What is not great is having to fish around for five or six different apps. Why can't these developers work with AA so that the AA app can offer all of those features in one app. We keep trying to innovate to make it easier and that's great until it doesn't work.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by tomj888
As one poster put it perfectly. Tech is great. What is not great is having to fish around for five or six different apps. Why can't these developers work with AA so that the AA app can offer all of those features in one app. We keep trying to innovate to make it easier and that's great until it doesn't work.
AA and innovate usually don't go together.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:38 am

Maybe this is why they have opposed CLEAR in terminals/airports they control

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.