Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Any recourse for cancellation and botched rebooking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any recourse for cancellation and botched rebooking?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by PHL
My mind wasn't thinking that, but you're right - no, you can't hold a trip on same day. Wonder if you were able to get to the final booking page (before payment) showing her that you could, in theory, book it right then and ask her to call a supervisor or Helpdesk to see why they couldn't reroute on that trip. Doesn't matter at this point but I'm not sure I would have left the desk with the refund and start from scratch without further assistance from AA.
But they didn't do that until they were 1/2 way to Boston, and at that point the ticket was cancelled for refund.
I don't quite understand why there was a rush to cancel the ticket, and request a refund, as they still had to obtain a ticket to the destination, and that ticket would have been valid from Boston to their destination.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
Apologies for the vague title, there was no way to include a better explanation.
I would suggest "Any recourse for cancellation and botched rebooking?" That would orient the reader to the nature of the problem.
lowfareair, vasantn and aztimm like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:25 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Generally, no. They’re fairly generous with the rebooking options, but they’re not going to write you a blank check on your own arrangements. Worth asking though. I’d love to see them make an exception for you.

There is some discrepancy between the inventory they can book displaced passengers onto, versus what they might offer for sale. I know I’ve stood at the counter when their screen had zeros, but aa.com showed something for sale. Maybe something to do with oversales vs. no-shows? Back when the hold policy was more generous, I put that flight on hold and then had the agent move my ticket number over to it and reissue. They weren’t super happy about it, but were they were able to push it through. Getting rid of same-day holds fixed this loophole.
Uzzar likes this.

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Jun 24, 2022 at 4:33 pm
Old Jun 24, 2022, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Generally, no. They’re fairly generous with the rebooking options, but they’re not going to write you a blank check on your own arrangements. Worth asking though. I’d love to see them make an exception for you.

There is some discrepancy between the inventory they can book displaced passengers onto, versus what they might offer for sale. I know I’ve stood at the counter when their screen had zeros, but aa.com showed something for sale. Maybe something to do with oversales vs. no-shows? Back when the hold policy was more generous, I put that flight on hold and then had the agent move my ticket number over to it and reissue. They weren’t super happy about it, but were they were able to push it through. Getting rid of same-day holds fixed this loophole.
I've noticed that if you go past the passenger information screen at booking, but don't pay, it will create an on-hold PNR that will show up in your trips until it gets auto-cancelled (which takes a while; at least several minutes).

If you are literally at the counter, could you do that to put it on hold for long enough to allow the agents to do what you described (assuming that they are willing and able to)?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Thanks for all the input. We actually showed the agent that we could buy the ticket and she said she still couldn't see it as an option for rebooking although she could see that revenue seats were available. I think that's a point that we will emphasize. If seats were available for sale the agent should have been able to book us on that flight. If she couldn't, that's a service failure IMO.

The app issues that I was referring to were likely connectivity issues because the app kept timing out. I just mentioned that to explain why we didn't buy the ticket while we were still at PVD. While my friend was futzing around with buying the ticket we were already in the car and on our way to BOS.

The cancellation was for WX.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
You indicated she had received no notification, did she have flight notifications configured?
Yes.
It is possible one of the the other flights did not have 2 available seat when the agent checked, but later had 2 seats available, due to someone canceling. "There was no good reason for the agent not to put her on the flight that she ended up having to purchase"... But, it wasn't "the flight", as there were 3 flights in the planned replacement itinerary.
I'm using "flight" and "itinerary" interchangeably here. The entire 3-flight itinerary was available.
Do you know the reason for the original cancellation? Not clear on why you would choose to refund the original ticket and buy a new one, instead of not canceling trying to get AA to get you a new one once you got to Boston. If you can book it, then that would mean AA could also book it at that time and not charge you.
The timing of the cancellation is irrelevant. If we waited to rebook until we got to BOS, we would very likely have lost the availability.
Accepting the refund and deciding to try booking later was not a logical choice. There was nothing to gain by canceling before finding out about the replacement ticket.
We were not going to use the itinerary offered by AA. No point in holding on to the booking.
It's not like the credit card would suddenly make that $800 in credit available as soon as the ticket was canceled. As BOS was an eligible alternative, due to IRROPS, not refunding the ticket would be more useful in getting no charge replacement flights
Possibly, but we did not have a lot of time to think things out. The focus was on getting them to BHM by 6pm and sort the rest out afterwards.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There have been similar posts in the DL forum I think recently. I forget exactly how they do it, but people are able to buy the ticket and then have an agent get the new PNR transferred into the original one (or something like that), and then the new ticket refunded. But I think it’s all done before actually taking the flight.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
There have been similar posts in the DL forum I think recently. I forget exactly how they do it, but people are able to buy the ticket and then have an agent get the new PNR transferred into the original one (or something like that), and then the new ticket refunded. But I think it’s all done before actually taking the flight.
Unfortunately we didn't have the time to do that as we had to drive to BOS fast, and just made that flight.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
I'm thinking the new itinerary you found was an invalid routing that was being offered by selling ticket tickets in the back end (unbeknown to you.) Perhaps new ticket sales workflow allows for two tickets to complete and itinerary, whereas booking workflow does not. Just a guess.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
I'm thinking the new itinerary you found was an invalid routing that was being offered by selling ticket tickets in the back end (unbeknown to you.) Perhaps new ticket sales workflow allows for two tickets to complete and itinerary, whereas booking workflow does not. Just a guess.
Seems unlikely, but anything is possible. I don't expect to be successful, but I'm going to hang my hat on "if I was able to buy the itinerary, you should have been able to rebook me on that itinerary". I'll report back when I get a resolution.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
I don't think it's unreasonable if you could buy the new itinerary you wanted that the agent could have rebooked you on it. (If she were truly unable to do so, then that's certainly AA's fault for having a stupid QIK overlay and not native Sabre.) While I doubt they would have reimbursed you the cost of a new ticket on OAL, it's not unreasonable to expect a refund of the difference between your original ticket and the new ticket you purchased on American. They shouldn't get to profit from IRROPS and they should be responsible for getting you to the destination they promised.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Seems unlikely, but anything is possible. I don't expect to be successful, but I'm going to hang my hat on "if I was able to buy the itinerary, you should have been able to rebook me on that itinerary". I'll report back when I get a resolution.
Well, anything is possible at a price. But the new itinerary being $1,000 more, the agent not being able to see it, and the odd "app glitches" you reported all suggest the other person above was right about it being an invalid routing.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by js1993
Well, anything is possible at a price. But the new itinerary being $1,000 more, the agent not being able to see it, and the odd "app glitches" you reported all suggest the other person above was right about it being an invalid routing.
How could it be an invalid routing if we were able to purchase it??

The "app glitches" is a red herring; it was a connectivity issue. We were actually able to show the availability on our phone to the agent while at PVD, and to purchase it during the drive to BOS.
Originally Posted by jghassell
I don't think it's unreasonable if you could buy the new itinerary you wanted that the agent could have rebooked you on it. (If she were truly unable to do so, then that's certainly AA's fault for having a stupid QIK overlay and not native Sabre.)
Exactly. That's a service failure and that's the only thing I'm going to focus on in my communication with AA. The rest of the story is just noise.

Last edited by vasantn; Jun 25, 2022 at 11:48 am
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by js1993
There's absolutely no requirement that you stick to a valid routing under ticket rules after a cancelation.
vasantn likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
How could it be an invalid routing if we were able to purchase it??
I can purchase all sorts of itineraries that AA won't offer for free as a change or re-routing.

The "app glitches" is a red herring; it was a connectivity issue. ...
Then why did you call it an app glitch, as if that was yet another AA failure?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.