Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What plane has greater dispatch reliability the 738's or the A319/20/21?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

Since these planes make up the bulk of the fleet I was wondering if anyone had this statistic.

What engine mfr powers each? Does AA buy RR engines?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Since these planes make up the bulk of the fleet I was wondering if anyone had this statistic.

What engine mfr powers each? Does AA buy RR engines?
Are you expecting someone here to research this, or to have the reliability numbers memorized?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by mvoight
Are you expecting someone here to research this, or to have the reliability numbers memorized?
that’s helpful.

there are people on here that know the general answer w/o zero research. That’s what I’m looking for.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
They have to be comparable. It's a duopoly, if there was a marked advantage one way or the other, it wouldn't remain so.

They're both about 99.5%. the exact decimal ranges by year ever so slightly.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:19 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by enviroian
that’s helpful.

there are people on here that know the general answer w/o zero research. That’s what I’m looking for.
The people who know will not release such information to the public preferring instead to work on monthly data to even the playing field among competitors
Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Rapid Rewards
IDK about the numbers but certainly worse than Delta's.

As far as engines,

738's have CFM 56's. 737 MAX are all CFM LEAP.
A319's all the LAA (Sharklet) ones have CFM's, while the LUS ones are a mix of IAE and CFM (Former ones ordered by US Airways were CFM while the former America West ones were IAE)
A320's are a mix of IAE and CFM (Again, former ones ordered by US Airways are CFM while the former America West ones are IAE)
A321's are a mix as well. All LAA ones (Sharklets/transcon) are IAE. LUS differs between earlier A321's that have CFM while later orders have IAE.

While the fleet is all over the place now that old contracts have expired, IAE's are still most often found out of airports like PHX and DFW while CFM's are found out of CLT, PHL, DCA. I also see AA has moved a lot of 738's to CLT while moving a lot of A319 and A320's to DFW.
enviroian and fdog like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.