Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this a legal routing? (AAdvantage)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2022, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Is this a legal routing? (AAdvantage)

Trying to book GYD-DOH-ARN as a single reservation with the idea of getting from GYD to ARN using AA miles, and in this case QR’s great J product. However, as it’s commonly seen, only GYD-DOH and DOH-ARN segments show up when searching individually. Nothing shows up when searching GYD-ARN. I know I could book both segments separately, but then I’d pay double and that’d defeat the purpose. Is this routing legal? Wondering if I can put one on hold and try to call AA to add the other segment for no extra miles? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Basanez
Trying to book GYD-DOH-ARN as a single reservation with the idea of getting from GYD to ARN using AA miles, and in this case QR’s great J product. However, as it’s commonly seen, only GYD-DOH and DOH-ARN segments show up when searching individually. Nothing shows up when searching GYD-ARN. I know I could book both segments separately, but then I’d pay double and that’d defeat the purpose. Is this routing legal? Wondering if I can put one on hold and try to call AA to add the other segment for no extra miles? Thanks in advance.
Not a legal routing for a single AAdvantage award. Both GYD and ARN are in AAdvantage's "Europe" zone. No third-zone transits are permitted on an intra-European award.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Even if permitted QR and their married (and unmarried in the present case) segments for routings are quite common and apply even when booking through QR. A look in the QR forum will find several threads discussing this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for the quick reply! Didn’t occur to look through the QR forum, but will do that as well to brush up. It’s been a while.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Also, if the airline doesn't have a published fare between two points then you have to book it as two rewards, one from your origin to the connecting point, and another to the destination. At least that was the explanation when I used AA miles for a LED-LHR-BRU flight. It was only 10K miles per segment for J so I was hardly bankrupted.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stripe
Also, if the airline doesn't have a published fare between two points then you have to book it as two rewards, one from your origin to the connecting point, and another to the destination. At least that was the explanation when I used AA miles for a LED-LHR-BRU flight. It was only 10K miles per segment for J so I was hardly bankrupted.
The airline (QR) actually publishes the fare between GYD and ARN with the connection in DOH, and they also sell it with points (avios). That’s why it was a bit surprising when it wasn’t showing up through AA.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The airline (QR) actually publishes the fare between GYD and ARN with the connection in DOH, and they also sell it with points (avios). That’s why it was a bit surprising when it wasn’t showing up through AA.
If there is availability, you can phone and book with AA - it will cost 85,000 miles though ( vs 22,500 for a business class route within Europe )
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If there is availability, you can phone and book with AA - it will cost 85,000 miles though ( vs 22,500 for a business class route within Europe )
Thank you. I could actually see and book each segment for 42,500 AA miles plus taxes per person in J. What I was trying to do/get away with was booking GYD-DOH-ARN as a single itinerary so I could only pay 42,500 AA miles per person in J and not 85,000. I understand now it is not a legal routing due to GYD and ARN being in the same region per AA. If I search from AMM, CAI air DXB for example, the connecting flight is available. I understand those cities are in a different region than ARN per AA. I’ll just have to take the hit and spend the 85,000 miles then. Thank you again.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Given that a paid one way ticket in 'I' class is $1143 including taxes ( and would accrue 5882 miles ), 85,000 plus $85 taxes doesm't seem like a very good value

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.