Wiki Posts
Search

Pax has COVID - refund available?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Pax has COVID - refund available?

My sister seems to think that her MIA-GRU J ticket is refundable if she contracts COVID and cannot fly.

Tix is a nonrefundable fare but she insists airlines allow refunds (not just credits) if the passenger tests positive.

Sounds absurd to me. Did I miss something or is she mistaken?
Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
My sister seems to think that her MIA-GRU J ticket is refundable if she contracts COVID and cannot fly.

Tix is a nonrefundable fare but she insists airlines allow refunds (not just credits) if the passenger tests positive.

Sounds absurd to me. Did I miss something or is she mistaken?
sounds wrong to me too. Not the airlines fault if she catches Covid. If she has travel insurance it may cover it.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:21 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
They may choose do so, but it is not certain. AA's terms doesn't address it.
Even getting travel credits would be a stretch.
They may offer free rebooking.
There is travel insurance that covers travel cancellations because of covid.

Last edited by WindowSeatFlyer; Jun 8, 2022 at 11:26 am
Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
COVID does not make a non-refundable ticket suddenly refundable. It hasn't ever. What COVID has done is relaxed the time to re-use travel credits, but even that has tightened back up.
boss315 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Evidently AA still has some sort of policy that may allow one free change within 7 days of original flight date should the passenger be unable to fly. See Gary's recent article below on the subject.

But, as mentioned a nonrefundable fare doesn't suddenly become fully refundable should a pax be unable to fly.

https://viewfromthewing.com/theres-h...-policies-end/
Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Thanks, everyone. That's what I thought. Now, to explain this to her. *sigh*
Old Jun 8, 2022, 3:48 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Thanks, everyone. That's what I thought. Now, to explain this to her. *sigh*
Airlines may give some flexibility though as to entice passengers who have covid not to fly. My parents were exposed to covid three times within the week before their flights (on alaska) each time they had non-refundable flights and Alaska was willing to offer travel credit (not a refund) because they didn't want to fly after being exposed.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 5:11 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
If she's convinced that her J fare is refundable, she can read her fare rules. She can also call AA for clarification on her specific fare rules. But, as said - if she didn't buy travel insurance and it's not a fully refundable fare, she may be facing a flight credit to use in the coming 12 months.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kbooks66
Airlines may give some flexibility though as to entice passengers who have covid not to fly. My parents were exposed to covid three times within the week before their flights (on alaska) each time they had non-refundable flights and Alaska was willing to offer travel credit (not a refund) because they didn't want to fly after being exposed.
But anyone can cancel for a travel credit.
nk15, ijgordon, etiene and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.