Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will AA status match Southwest A-List Preferred?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will AA status match Southwest A-List Preferred?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
AA used to offer challenges, typically low/mid-tier status. You would have the option of "buying up" during your challenge period (typically 90 days) in order to have status for the duration of the challenge or until you satisfy the challenge requirements. In terms of matching, that's not something that they have any published criteria for. If they do offer status matches it's going to be to high-tier elites from other legacy or full-service carriers (UA 1K, DL Diamond, etc.). Airlines are not rental car companies or even hotels - their status is actually quite valuable. With car companies it doesn't really cost them anything to let elites pick a full-size versus an economy car, and for hotels some extra water and a room with a better view effectively costs nothing if they're available at check-in. A first/business upgrade on the other hand can represent potentially thousands of dollars in value and opportunity cost for the airlines. When there is language for status challenges it's also usually a one-time deal.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
My experience exactly. And AA will definitely match if they believe you are likely to be high value enough.
how do you know this?
I would assume that this only applies to mid-tiers and up (like UA 1K).
Because lowly UA Plats, etc. are not that valuable otherwise they would be 1K

What is the metric for AA to consider a match? How many UAs PQFs? PQPs? Any data points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.