Wiki Posts
Search

Winter connection: ORD or DFW

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
Winter connection: ORD or DFW

Looking at a holidays (late DEC) trip to London (LHR) this year. Originating from MCI. The times that work best for us connect through either ORD or DFW. Obviously the DFW-LHR flight is longer, but that is not a concern for us. I am more concerned with potential weather delays, etc.

Any thoughts on connecting through either ORD or DFW in late December?

Thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
If it was me, DFW all the way.
Travel22, fdog, jef787 and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by Travel22
Looking at a holidays (late DEC) trip to London (LHR) this year. Originating from MCI. The times that work best for us connect through either ORD or DFW. Obviously the DFW-LHR flight is longer, but that is not a concern for us. I am more concerned with potential weather delays, etc.

Any thoughts on connecting through either ORD or DFW in late December?

Thanks.
My thoughts are winter connection DFW, summer connection ORD so I guess my vote is DFW.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
It's a toss up either way. I usually avoid both like the plague, but if those are your only 2 options (assuming CLT, PHL or MIA are out of the question), then DFW in December it is.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
DFW should be better weather than ORD in December.

If you're in J for the long haul, that's more sleeping time too. I prefer DFW-LHR over ORD-LHR because ORD-LHR ends up being a short sleep by the time dinner service is done.
Travel22 and FlyFreakquently like this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:49 pm

DFW's winter events don't happen until February.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
DFW's week of winter is typically in late January or early February. That said, ORD has the capability to operate during a winter storm. DFW, not so much, Overall, though, I'd select MIA LAX DFW
Old Jun 6, 2022, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Globalist
DFW's also a much better connection experience if you've got a layover.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Contrary to many of the posters here, for weather I would prefer ORD. While Chicago can experience large snowstorms they deal with snow pretty well, and In my experience the weather in Chicago is worse in February than December. On the other hand, Ice in Dallas will shut the place down for quite some time, I recall choosing DFW for a winter connection many years ago and ended up getting rerouted through Chicago (and lost a 77W J seat for a beat up 762). I seem to remember a lot more DFW bad weather threads on FT than ORD bad weather threads (and if someone actually looks them up and proves me wrong I’ll accept that).
galaticos, Ilove2fly and zdcatc12 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:47 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by hbtr
Contrary to many of the posters here, for weather I would prefer ORD. While Chicago can experience large snowstorms they deal with snow pretty well, and In my experience the weather in Chicago is worse in February than December. On the other hand, Ice in Dallas will shut the place down for quite some time, I recall choosing DFW for a winter connection many years ago and ended up getting rerouted through Chicago (and lost a 77W J seat for a beat up 762). I seem to remember a lot more DFW bad weather threads on FT than ORD bad weather threads (and if someone actually looks them up and proves me wrong I’ll accept that).
I agree with this. I also remember a November ice storm several years ago that shut down DFW for something like three days.

Here is a good article on this topic:
​​https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ions/24906949/
Spanish likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
I've never been stuck at ORD for the night, but have had plenty of travel plans changed due to delayed 1st segments to ORD (always change to another flight / hub).

Stuck in DFW probably once every 2 years due to weather. Always in Summer, though.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 6:27 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA, BA, KE
No comparison between the two. DFW all the way. ORD is way too crowded, no good lounge access, frequent delays, and the likelihood of weather going bad in December is much higher. The only benefit of ORD is that you'll have less flyinhg time.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
I wonder if there are actual statistics on which airport has better performance in certain months or if this is just a perception?

Also OP if upgrades are a concern I would say ORD to LHR tends to be premium heavy where J cabin is almost always full even if Y is empty.
Travel22 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: AA ExP, Globalist
For 2019 (which looks to be the most recent free sample that OAG's making available), the two airports had almost identical performance in December.

Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Either airport, I'd make sure you have a good sized connection. Having said that, I'd take ORD because they can handle snow better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.