Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 292 JFK - DEL may 29 medical emergency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 292 JFK - DEL may 29 medical emergency

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Antarius
Better communication. Possibly holding the group in one of the preclearance areas and giving instructions on what options are there. Those that can exit can choose to do so, those that can't are stuck anyways and need assistance.
AA (and I think most US-based airlines) are just terrible at communicating when stuff hits the fan, I agree. The frontline people appear to not know themselves what's going on, and are not really empowered to help customers. The AAngels in the Admiral's Club show that it's possible for frontline employees to be empowered to help. AA is just not funding the number of employees needed to do it for everyone.
catcher1 and mnhusker like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by renebt
It’s a ways away from me but I’m scheduled to fly JFK-DEL on AA 292 in November 2022. I’ve been monitoring AA 292 this weekend and it appears AA 292 29May2022 was diverted to LHR. Landed in LHR 30May2022 in the AM. Continuing flight is scheduled for DEL 31May2022.

I’ve heard of diversions to BGR but…LHR? Anyone know any details? Not sure how that would work immigration-wise.
JFK-DEL 7318
JFK-LHR-DEL 7642
I suspect they diverted when they were in Europe for medical
I would guess transit is not a problem as I expect at they are all (or nearly all) US citizens, US Permanent Residents, US Visa holders

This is for exiting the airport at LHR
Given they started in the US, I suspect they all qualified under this

Transiting without a visa

You may be eligible to transit without a visa if:
  • you arrive and depart by air
  • have a confirmed onward flight that leaves on the day you arrive or before midnight on the day after you arrive
  • have the right documents for your destination (eg a visa for that country)
  • One of the following must also apply:
  • you’re travelling to (or on part of a reasonable journey to) Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and have a valid visa for that country
  • you’re travelling from (or on part of a reasonable journey from) Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and have a valid visa for that country
  • you’re travelling from (or on part of a reasonable journey from) Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and it’s less than 6 months since you last entered that country with a valid entry visa
  • you have a permanent residence permit issued by Australia or New Zealand
  • you have a common format residence permit issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland
  • you have a permanent residence permit issued by Canada on or after 28 June 2002
  • you have a uniform format category D visa for entry to a country in the EEA or Switzerland
  • you have an Irish biometric visa (marked ‘BC’ or ‘BC BIVS’ in the ‘Remarks’ section) and an onward flight ticket to the Republic of Ireland
  • you’re travelling from the Republic of Ireland and it’s less than 3 months since you were last given permission, on the basis of holding a valid Irish biometric visa, to land or be in Ireland
  • you have a valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998
  • you have a valid USA I-551 Temporary Immigrant visa issued by the USA (a wet-ink stamp version will not be accepted)
  • you have an expired USA I-551 Permanent Residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998, with a valid I-797 letter authorising extension
  • you have a valid standalone US Immigration Form 155A/155B issued by the USA (attached to a sealed brown envelope)
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by mvoight; May 31, 2022 at 2:52 pm
Old May 31, 2022, 3:02 pm
J S

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
It's not as simple as looking at a 2-D map and saying they could have landed a "closer" airport. It takes time and distance to safely descend from cruise altitude. From the moment the divert decision was made, it may very well have taken a comparable amount of time to descend and land at one of those other airports than LHR. And if that were the case it certainly would have made sense to go to an airport where AA has the greatest presence.
Sure, it is complex and I am not a pilot. However, from the point they turned around to landing is longer than the flight from Paris to London. From when they started to turn, it was 43 minutes until touch down and they stayed at 33,000 ft. nearly half the way back to LHR. I assume that when it is a life and death emergency and every second counts, and you are over a bunch of major airports, you can get on the ground in less than 43 minutes.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...aa292#2c0bc734

Not saying they made a bad choice, but it drives home the point that they likely intentionally landed at an airport that has significant AA infrastructure and staff. Therefore, it is reasonable to hold them to a higher standard than if the emergency had required a landing at, say Cologne where one could not expect the same of AA.
Antarius and mnhusker like this.

Last edited by J S; May 31, 2022 at 3:16 pm
Old May 31, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
It's not as simple as looking at a 2-D map and saying they could have landed a "closer" airport. It takes time and distance to safely descend from cruise altitude. From the moment the divert decision was made, it may very well have taken a comparable amount of time to descend and land at one of those other airports than LHR. And if that were the case it certainly would have made sense to go to an airport where AA has the greatest presence.
Not to mention fuel dumping, etc. that would take time and distance anyway.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 5:41 pm

you can transit via airside not landside. Passengers were allowed to ‘land’ and clear immigration to be put up in hotels which these rules are null and void if you don’t have a UK visa or citizenship that does not require a visa

Originally Posted by mvoight
JFK-DEL 7318
JFK-LHR-DEL 7642
I suspect they diverted when they were in Europe for medical
I would guess transit is not a problem as I expect at they are all (or nearly all) US citizens, US Permanent Residents, US Visa holders

This is for exiting the airport at LHR
Given they started in the US, I suspect they all qualified under this

Transiting without a visa

You may be eligible to transit without a visa if:
  • you arrive and depart by air
  • have a confirmed onward flight that leaves on the day you arrive or before midnight on the day after you arrive
  • have the right documents for your destination (eg a visa for that country)
  • One of the following must also apply:
  • you’re travelling to (or on part of a reasonable journey to) Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and have a valid visa for that country
  • you’re travelling from (or on part of a reasonable journey from) Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and have a valid visa for that country
  • you’re travelling from (or on part of a reasonable journey from) Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and it’s less than 6 months since you last entered that country with a valid entry visa
  • you have a permanent residence permit issued by Australia or New Zealand
  • you have a common format residence permit issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland
  • you have a permanent residence permit issued by Canada on or after 28 June 2002
  • you have a uniform format category D visa for entry to a country in the EEA or Switzerland
  • you have an Irish biometric visa (marked ‘BC’ or ‘BC BIVS’ in the ‘Remarks’ section) and an onward flight ticket to the Republic of Ireland
  • you’re travelling from the Republic of Ireland and it’s less than 3 months since you were last given permission, on the basis of holding a valid Irish biometric visa, to land or be in Ireland
  • you have a valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998
  • you have a valid USA I-551 Temporary Immigrant visa issued by the USA (a wet-ink stamp version will not be accepted)
  • you have an expired USA I-551 Permanent Residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998, with a valid I-797 letter authorising extension
  • you have a valid standalone US Immigration Form 155A/155B issued by the USA (attached to a sealed brown envelope)
Antarius likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 6:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Even the rebookings can be complex. If I remember correctly, some airports in Europe require Covid vaccination even for transit and there might have actually been some people on the plane who were not vaccinated. And some people don't want to transit through certain other countries (particularly in the ME). And some people would probably rather see London (even for 36 hours). So until you have time to speak with each customer it is hard to have an "auto-rebook," particularly on international flights with less than one hour notice.
Old May 31, 2022, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbrower
Even the rebookings can be complex. If I remember correctly, some airports in Europe require Covid vaccination even for transit and there might have actually been some people on the plane who were not vaccinated. And some people don't want to transit through certain other countries (particularly in the ME). And some people would probably rather see London (even for 36 hours). So until you have time to speak with each customer it is hard to have an "auto-rebook," particularly on international flights with less than one hour notice.
And lets say that there were 250 passengers (or more specifically, 250 PNRs) on the flight, and that it takes an average of 5 minutes to find alternative space, rebook and reissue the ticket. That's 21 man-hours of work to re-book the flight. I don't know if this can be done automatically since none of these passengers were ever supposed to be in LHR in the first place. Can they pull 42 agents off their regular duties (I have no idea how many may be working at a given time) and get it done in a half hour? Seems like a tall order. I would think the path of least resistance is to let the crew get their mandatory rest and then just resume the flight as soon as they can. They need to get the equipment to DEL anyway.
Old May 31, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by DMPHL
Not to mention fuel dumping, etc. that would take time and distance anyway.
They were 50% into their flight so my guess is that there was no need to dump fuel.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 9:19 pm

More about this debacle here. The aircraft and passengers are still stranded in London!

https://simpleflying.com/american-ai...-diverted/amp/
knit-in and wrp96 like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by Grmaht
More about this debacle here. The aircraft and passengers are still stranded in London!

https://simpleflying.com/american-ai...-diverted/amp/
My goodness! This sounds like a nightmare. These passengers from 5/29 are still in LHR!
Old Jun 1, 2022, 12:53 am

looks like flight is finally making its way to DEL today.

Originally Posted by knit-in
My goodness! This sounds like a nightmare. These passengers from 5/29 are still in LHR!
knit-in and Antarius like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by knit-in
It must be a great comfort to them that there are six daily non-stop flights and any number of connecting ones between London and Delhi
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:46 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius
Interesting - thanks for the info! Unfortunately, this is not surprising in the slightest. The Indian Government seems to enjoy making standard aviation situations into extremely complex ones for no reason.
Not just aviation. They regularly make things very difficult for businesses - even when the solution would be a benefit to the Indian people.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:22 am
J S

Originally Posted by ijgordon
And lets say that there were 250 passengers (or more specifically, 250 PNRs) on the flight, and that it takes an average of 5 minutes to find alternative space, rebook and reissue the ticket. That's 21 man-hours of work to re-book the flight. I don't know if this can be done automatically since none of these passengers were ever supposed to be in LHR in the first place. Can they pull 42 agents off their regular duties (I have no idea how many may be working at a given time) and get it done in a half hour? Seems like a tall order. I would think the path of least resistance is to let the crew get their mandatory rest and then just resume the flight as soon as they can. They need to get the equipment to DEL anyway.
All somewhat mute at this point, since they say on the ground for *way* over 21 hours. It really is hard to look at AA's performance in a positive light.
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by J S; Jun 1, 2022 at 8:35 am Reason: Correcting my error
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:24 am
J S

As of now--2.5 days later--the plane is still on the ground at LHR!

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n725an

Correction: It did take off almost 2 days later.

Last edited by J S; Jun 1, 2022 at 8:36 am Reason: Correcting my error.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.