Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA to cut JFK-MDE/CLO starting November 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2022, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot

Source: https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...l-routes-cuts/

Things get from bad to worse for AA's LATAM coverage, especially since there is still a very sizeable Latin population in the Tri-State area. Not all of them wants to connect via Miami.
Old May 26, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Oof, DFW-LIM is big IMO. That had been a longstanding route, but I guess they just don't have the right aircraft to operate it after they retired the 757s.

SEA-BLR getting the axe is not surprising.
Old May 26, 2022, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by dkc192
Oof, DFW-LIM is big IMO. That had been a longstanding route, but I guess they just don't have the right aircraft to operate it after they retired the 757s.

Right now, DFW-LIM is on a A321 which is a looooong flight for a Domestic F cabin 321. I'm sure Carlos will come in and drone on and on about the market not supporting it. It's still sad regardless.
Old May 26, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: Lifemiles, AAdvantage
No, they do have the right aircraft, the problem lies on them being so short staffed (and the 78 problems). So they require 78 crews.

Expect in the next days/weeks downgauges from 788 to 319/20 in MIA-MDE/CLO-MIA routes, alongisde LIM.

Also, they say not enough demand on the MDE/CLO routes, but in reality their prices arent competitive at all, compared to COPA or AV (even if AV service is straight up terrible)..
Old May 26, 2022, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Etheereal
No, they do have the right aircraft, the problem lies on them being so short staffed (and the 78 problems). So they require 78 crews.

Expect in the next days/weeks downgauges from 788 to 319/20 in MIA-MDE/CLO-MIA routes, alongisde LIM.

Also, they say not enough demand on the MDE/CLO routes, but in reality their prices arent competitive at all, compared to COPA or AV (even if AV service is straight up terrible)..
As far as JFK-MDE, they seem to be around the same price on the nonstop between AA and AV. Even on the Max 8, I'd rather do that than fly on AV and a A320neo. I just think the prices all around are too high. $700 roundtrip is steep for US-Colombia when, on the same weekend, you can fly JFK-MAD for $100 more on a 772. I love me some MDE, but not at that price.
Old May 26, 2022, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
As far as JFK-MDE, they seem to be around the same price on the nonstop between AA and AV. Even on the Max 8, I'd rather do that than fly on AV and a A320neo. I just think the prices all around are too high. $700 roundtrip is steep for US-Colombia when, on the same weekend, you can fly JFK-MAD for $100 more on a 772. I love me some MDE, but not at that price.
Correct and thats where the problem lies at. The "cheap" prices dont have bags and pretty much no rights at all, and the cost is too high. Just as reference, i flew MDE-JFK-MDE 4 years ago for 500$ in AV Business. That price is nowadays for ECONOMY.
Old May 26, 2022, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA
What is the future of AA's LAX hub? If LAX only gets LHR and SYD (wasn't this temporarily suspended for the summer?), is AA letting one world partners pick up the slack? I guess a lot of the international flying was to Asia, but the TPG article makes it sound like HKG isn't coming back regardless of the Covid situation, and NZ is open. Also will the SEA hub ever take flight?
Old May 27, 2022, 12:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by Etheereal

MIA - MDE/CLO have been 737MAX's for quite some time now. They were only upgauged to 787's while AA had a ton of idle widebody aircraft during the pandemic.
Old May 27, 2022, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by dls25
MIA - MDE/CLO have been 737MAX's for quite some time now. They were only upgauged to 787's while AA had a ton of idle widebody aircraft during the pandemic.
haha so they already were downgauged. Shame, guess i aint flying AA anytime soon with those prices.
Old May 27, 2022, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dls25
I believe it was in March for MIA-MDE as they kept the 788 on that route for cargo purposes during the winter holidays.
Old May 27, 2022, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Although technically just delayed yet again. And regardless of all the other issues with that route, a new ultra long-haul route which goes through a huge slice of Russia seems like an especially bad idea now (and that's the reason AA gave, whether or not it's the real dominant reason).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.