Wiki Posts
Search

Lost AAdvantage status

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2022, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Lost AAdvantage status

Prior to Covid, I used to travel all the time for work and was almost at Platinum status. When my company finally allowed traveling again in April, I noticed that I lost my status. I called and was told that I needed to travel by March to keep it the same. I asked for an exception since my lack of travel was due to Covid and was told to call a different number.

I did call several times because the wait time was so long and when they called me back, the representative told me that she could fix it for $400+. (that's not fixing IMHO). I sent an email which I keep getting a follow up email saying that due to covid, there is a delay in the response but no actual response.

Here's my question... Has anyone had this issue? Anyone get their status back without paying more money?

I know this probably sounds like "First World" problems but I was loyal to AA for my points (both personal and work) and even have their credit card but if this how they are going to treat their travelers (not even talking about all the flight delays and cancellations that I have been through), there are MANY other programs I can start from the beginning with again.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

During covid, AA offered many incentives and ways to keep your status. I'm sorry it didn't work for you.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:20 am

many people have realized that they have fallen to no status. Last year — you must have missed the 100s of emails they sent, they had two promo ways to keep your status — spend X on a credit card or spend $2k on travel through Dec 31st.

and of course they extended status for the 2021 travel year. But for 2022/23 you needed to either qualify organically or through one of the two promos.

what the agent may have been referring to is the buyback offer that they have each year.

Originally Posted by Kara Peters Case
Prior to Covid, I used to travel all the time for work and was almost at Platinum status. When my company finally allowed traveling again in April, I noticed that I lost my status. I called and was told that I needed to travel by March to keep it the same. I asked for an exception since my lack of travel was due to Covid and was told to call a different number.

I did call several times because the wait time was so long and when they called me back, the representative told me that she could fix it for $400+. (that's not fixing IMHO). I sent an email which I keep getting a follow up email saying that due to covid, there is a delay in the response but no actual response.

Here's my question... Has anyone had this issue? Anyone get their status back without paying more money?

I know this probably sounds like "First World" problems but I was loyal to AA for my points (both personal and work) and even have their credit card but if this how they are going to treat their travelers (not even talking about all the flight delays and cancellations that I have been through), there are MANY other programs I can start from the beginning with again.
LovePrunes and javabytes like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
As others have stated, AA offered several different ways to keep/extend status over the last 2 years. While it's unfortunate you lost your status, this one is on you for not paying attention to it for 24 months.
GaryZ, LETTERBOY, bemis and 2 others like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by 777lover
many people have realized that they have fallen to no status. Last year — you must have missed the 100s of emails they sent, they had two promo ways to keep your status — spend X on a credit card or spend $2k on travel through Dec 31st.

I don't have status with AA and even I got a bunch of emails about keeping status.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by enviroian
During covid, AA offered many incentives and ways to keep your status. I'm sorry it didn't work for you.
Yep, and it sounds like they are offering another chance (by buying it for $500).

To the OP -- The whole status earning system is different now with AAdvantage. Read into it. Platinum can be regained through a variety of means, flying not required.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 9:51 am

Platinum is "easy" to get using an AA credit card and LP chasing.

75,000 LPs on aadvantageshopping or dining or any of those sites isn't untenable.

As others have said, you ignored 2 years of offers. This is 100% on you, but you can get status back quite quickly.
Old May 26, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
And, paying $400 is actually a pretty good deal.
Old May 26, 2022, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Agreed. I would have jumped that as about as quickly as getting a C1 notification from EF.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
You are not missing much. You have the credit card so bags are free. Use the $400 for upgrades where you need them. You won't get many upgrades with Gold status anyway.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Originally Posted by enviroian
Agreed. I would have jumped that as about as quickly as getting a C1 notification from EF.
For Gold? OP was "almost" Platinum.
Much easier and cheaper to just earn Gold by getting LP.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Kara Peters Case
Here's my question... Has anyone had this issue?
Yes, some others have had this issue...

Full downgrade from EXP to general AA?
LETTERBOY and LovePrunes like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: SPG Plat (RIP), Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
I'm not the most avid of posters but whenever I see these threads on here from fresh accounts of a persons name. I wonder if people think this is like Reddit or something where you can farm imaginary internet points via posting "feel bad for me" posts like this. I doubt we'll see another post from this person but I must say I chuckle when I see these posts.

But to respond into the void to a person who probably won't see this : my company did the same, I went from EXP to no travel in 2020 and 2021 but I bought myself a round trip transcon in business to meet the 2k spend and now I still have EXP. Should read those emails
Old May 26, 2022, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cyb2888
I'm not the most avid of posters but whenever I see these threads on here from fresh accounts of a persons name. I wonder if people think this is like Reddit or something where you can farm imaginary internet points via posting "feel bad for me" posts like this. I doubt we'll see another post from this person but I must say I chuckle when I see these posts.

But to respond into the void to a person who probably won't see this : my company did the same, I went from EXP to no travel in 2020 and 2021 but I bought myself a round trip transcon in business to meet the 2k spend and now I still have EXP. Should read those emails
So now you have EXP but you don’t have $2k. I’m not sure that’s a fair trade off.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: DL DM, BA Gold
With the new Loyalty Point system, you can pick up your status fairly easily. To be honest, I never re-qualify my Platinum Pro status so fast ever before
LovePrunes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.