Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using Priority Pass When Traveling on AA and no AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Priority Pass When Traveling on AA and no AC

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/GM, AA Gold, Marriott Life Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If you have a PP restaurant in your home airport it's extremely valuable (assuming you have restaurant access). Note that you can use it on arrival as well as departure. I got great value at SFO when I lived there.

Except for a few very good lounges, even average restaurant food is going to be better than lounge food.
Be aware that if you get Priority Pass Select via AmEx Platinum, the restaurant benefit is not available to you.
lowfareair likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/GM, AA Gold, Marriott Life Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by rtpflyer
At YYZ and YUL I see no PP lounges accessible in the US Departure areas. If there were, I would be happy to use them.
There is a Plaza Premium Lounge in T3 Transborder. While it used to be part of Priority Pass, it is no longer.
It is a member of the AmEx lounge network, so flashing an AmEx Platinum will still get you in.

In relation to this thread, it's right next to the AC at YYZ.
Old May 25, 2022, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skippu
Be aware that if you get Priority Pass Select via AmEx Platinum, the restaurant benefit is not available to you.
Yes, that's great reason to carry the CSR in addition to the Amex Plat. $300 travel credit plus PP restaurant early covers the annual fee if you have access to a good PP restaurant (ie, one where you like the food) in your home airport, even if you travel solo. $28 per person per visit on both departure and arrival adds up very fast. And if you have a long connection at an airport with more than 1 PP restaurant you can do a meal at one followed by drinks at another. Overall I prefer this to a club / business class lounge in most cases (first class lounges are a different story)
Old May 25, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Noted. I have the Amex HHonors Aspire which has other benefits. I don't fly enough anymore to justify the CSR annual fee for not enough incremental benefit.
Old May 25, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skippu
There is a Plaza Premium Lounge in T3 Transborder. While it used to be part of Priority Pass, it is no longer.
It is a member of the AmEx lounge network, so flashing an AmEx Platinum will still get you in.

In relation to this thread, it's right next to the AC at YYZ.
Same with the Plaza Premium lounge in CUN (not PP any more, but still an Amex partner). Is that true for the whole network of Plaza Premium lounges?

Even more related to this thread, there's no AC in CUN, despite there being several AA flights (I count 15 AA destinations from CUN on flightconnections.com; not sure if some are seasonal)
Old May 25, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by rtpflyer
At YYZ and YUL I see no PP lounges accessible in the US Departure areas. If there were, I would be happy to use them.
Yeah, I guess you're right. It's in YVR and YYC that I've used PP lounges in the US departure areas a few times. (YYZ and YUL are less common airports for me.) I have accessed the door of a nominally-PP lounge in US departures in YYZ when flying WS, but it was full and not accepting PP at the time. But YYZ isn't terribly relevant for the OP anyway since it has an AC. Anyway, the larger point: PP is, I think, in general more useful in Canada than in the US if you want a lounge-type setting.
Old May 25, 2022, 4:07 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Have used the lounges in CUN and CZM flying AA in the last 6 months. Its very easy to neutralize the annual fee with CSR. $300 towards travel usually gone in the first month. PP another chunk. 3 points per $1 on travel with 1.5 to 1 redemption on travel. I personally got about $2000 value out of the CSR last year alone. Also have used the LAS and MSY clubs when flying AA pre pandemic. Better than waiting at the gate.
Old May 25, 2022, 4:09 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
If you have a PP restaurant in your home airport it's extremely valuable (assuming you have restaurant access). Note that you can use it on arrival as well as departure. I got great value at SFO when I lived there.

Except for a few very good lounges, even average restaurant food is going to be better than lounge food.
Yeah, but the OP is considering buying PP at 10 visits for $299 and $32 thereafter, not getting it bundled in a credit card. That's $29.90 or $32.00 per visit to obtain a $28 food credit. Which is worse than worthless.

I would advise OP either to get a credit card that includes PP as part of a suite of benefits, or just buy day passes at individual lounges/restaurants when needed. I have PP through a credit card and having experienced the "variety" of PP lounges around the world, I certainly would not pay $299 for 10 visits. The lounges just generally aren't that good, and the really good ones (like TK at IAD) tend to frequently exclude PP members because they're full.
JJeffrey, jokerjokerj and 8MiHi like this.
Old May 25, 2022, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wetrat0
Yeah, but the OP is considering buying PP at 10 visits for $299 and $32 thereafter, not getting it bundled in a credit card. That's $29.90 or $32.00 per visit to obtain a $28 food credit. Which is worse than worthless.
Yeah, my point was that I don't think that this is a good deal. Maybe I wasn't explicit enough. Getting a decent travel CC is a much better deal, if it's possible.

The CSR is $550 and includes a $300 annual stratement credit for travel. It includes unlimited visits with guests, and restaurants, and is $50 cheaper, even if you ignore the other benefits.

Last edited by VegasGambler; May 25, 2022 at 4:37 pm
Old May 25, 2022, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
No in the sense that PP lounges largely don't care what flight you are on (there are some like the LH Business lounge in IAD that require LH, LX, OS).

I can tell you that you don’t need to be flying LH,LX,or OS to enter as a PP member as they will allow entry if your flying another airline as I entered flying Avianca just last week.
Old May 25, 2022, 8:53 pm

I would look at the Capital One Venture x card. You will be further ahead with the $300 travel credit plus access to PP. I transit CLT and DFW. The club at CLT is okay (better now that they have a liquor license). I have heard reports that the lounge has limited access around the international departures. The Cap1 lounge in DFW is amazing and I usually just hit the grab and go section. DEN have a decent restaurant on B.
lowfareair likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
...5. Are there limits on how long you can stay on a visit?
The frugal folks at AMS enforced the time limit quite strictly. After 1.5 or 2 hrs they asked me for a 2nd swipe of my membership card. I had a couple of PP cards with me, so was happy to oblige. Otherwise there's typically a limit of 1 lounge visit per location.
Old May 26, 2022, 6:14 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by runnigel
I would look at the Capital One Venture x card. You will be further ahead with the $300 travel credit plus access to PP.
Definitely--the CSR value proposition has been eclipsed in terms of a "net" annual fee analysis. Free authorized users (with PP benefits for each) and the annual anniversary points + travel credit essentially wipe out the entire membership fee.
MaxVO likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
Same with the Plaza Premium lounge in CUN (not PP any more, but still an Amex partner). Is that true for the whole network of Plaza Premium lounges?

Even more related to this thread, there's no AC in CUN, despite there being several AA flights (I count 15 AA destinations from CUN on flightconnections.com; not sure if some are seasonal)
I go to CUN often and wish there was an AC there especially with CUN now being considered "international" so you'd be able to enter when flying J (it's great to use the AUS AC when I fly down there).

You can pre-pay $59 for 2 Plaza Premium passes good for a year but it's still not a great deal since the walk up price is like $35 IIRC.

Now if only CUN had a premium pax security line and expedited immigration...
Old May 26, 2022, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Definitely--the CSR value proposition has been eclipsed in terms of a "net" annual fee analysis. Free authorized users (with PP benefits for each) and the annual anniversary points + travel credit essentially wipe out the entire membership fee.
I think it's a good card with a low (for now) AF but I would not value their travel credit at full face value due to the restrictions. The CSR one is a statement credit that applies to a wide variety of purchases (their "travel" category of extremely broad). Cap One requires you to book through their portal, which comes with all the standard issue that arise when you book through OTAs.
Antarius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.