Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Stopped Serving MGA. Award Flight Booked. Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Stopped Serving MGA. Award Flight Booked. Options?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by wrp96
I wouldn't expect them to.
Nor I. (Although surprisingly MIA-MGA is cheaper than SAL-MGA currently.) But what then does "they're obligated to get you to MGA if they can" mean? Not trying to be pedantic or argumentative, just actually curious. I bought a "contract" with AA saying they would get me to Managua. They still can, just not on their own metal.
Old May 23, 2022, 2:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Nor I. (Although surprisingly MIA-MGA is cheaper than SAL-MGA currently.) But what then does "they're obligated to get you to MGA if they can" mean? Not trying to be pedantic or argumentative, just actually curious. I bought a "contract" with AA saying they would get me to Managua. They still can, just not on their own metal.
As indicated back in post 11, the contract you entered into is if AA scheduled changed their flights, there are a number of options available (including putting you on another airline) but it is at AA's discretion (not yours). They can decide to not offered the other airline option and provide a refund instead.
Old May 23, 2022, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
As indicated back in post 11, the contract you entered into is if AA scheduled changed their flights, there are a number of options available (including putting you on another airline) but it is at AA's discretion (not yours). They can decide to not offered the other airline option and provide a refund instead.
Fair enough. Well, for now I'll leave both reservations in one piece. The United/Avianca flights are fine, but I'm also trying to run the cost/benefits analysis of just having AA rebook me different flights to Miami so that I can pay out of pocket for AV's MIA-MGA. It's more or less cost neutral, so it's more just about how comfortable I feel having the trip on two tickets vs. one. I'd schedule a pretty healthy layover in Miami just in case of issues. (And purchase travel insurance.)
Old May 23, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Fair enough. Well, for now I'll leave both reservations in one piece. The United/Avianca flights are fine, but I'm also trying to run the cost/benefits analysis of just having AA rebook me different flights to Miami so that I can pay out of pocket for AV's MIA-MGA. It's more or less cost neutral, so it's more just about how comfortable I feel having the trip on two tickets vs. one. I'd schedule a pretty healthy layover in Miami just in case of issues. (And purchase travel insurance.)
This is exactly what I ended up doing. Arrived into MIA on AA around 10am and then took the second Avianca MGA flight at 4:30pm. We had plenty of time to explore a bunch of lounges around the airport.
Old May 23, 2022, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by njvandy
This is exactly what I ended up doing. Arrived into MIA on AA around 10am and then took the second Avianca MGA flight at 4:30pm. We had plenty of time to explore a bunch of lounges around the airport.
Just from looking at it though, it's either I have to take the non-stop redeye and kill nine hours in MIA or arrive at 14:32 and only have two hours in between flights which is cutting it a bit too close for being on separate tickets. I'd be much happier with four hours or so, but no flights from out here that would fit that description. Overnight on Avianca it is I guess.
Old May 23, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
On May 1 I booked a Sep OJ which included MIA-MGA. I never heard anything from AA, but sure enough it's gone when I check the website.
Fortunately, it's a trip to MGA,SAL,SAP and the order really didn't matter. So, now I'm forced to make MGA the middle one.
Also fortunately, I hadn't booked the 2 Avianca hops yet. So I just need a new, cheaper(!) OJ from AA, and shuffle my hotel dates.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Just for completeness' sake, I called AA a few times and they were willing to book me to anywhere close, but even the closest airport (LIR) would be a six hour shuttle and a night spent in a town I didn't want to go to. They were unwilling to book on another airline. So I cancelled the outbound, kept my RTB-MIA-DEN, and rebooked DEN-IAH-SAL-MGA on UA/AV that finally opened up not necessitating a redeye.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I guess the question we have to answer is "what is 'cannot'?". They're certainly able to pay for Avianca MIA-MGA, but will they?
Bad wording by me. If they no longer flying to MGA, then they "cannot" fly you there. As someone stated, they might allow you to change to a flight close to MGA, but they aren't going to put you on another carrier to replace a schedule change for a low miles ticket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.