Search

Upgrade Offer - No Loyalty Points?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Upgrade Offer - No Loyalty Points?

Making a quick day trip from ORD to DCA next week. Just booked my flight this morning. When I check my reservation, I'm being offered a chance to buy up to First Class for $365 each way (it appears one can upgrade either or both segments). The terms of the offer note that Loyalty Points would be awarded only on the original fare (so the buy-up amount is not LP eligible).

The joke is that the upgrade offer is almost to the Dollar what it would cost to change the ticket to a proper First Class ticket which, if I did this, I'd get LPs for the full amount of the fare.

What a dumb offer!
Old May 18, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
AA really needs to fix this. Every $ spent should get LPs, including for baggage, upgrades, MCE, wifi, etc. If my cat's $2.00 toy at chewy.com can get LPs, it seems ridiculous things like this purchased directly with AA don't.
Old May 18, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
AA really needs to fix this. Every $ spent should get LPs, including for baggage, upgrades, MCE, wifi, etc. If my cat's $2.00 toy at chewy.com can get LPs, it seems ridiculous things like this purchased directly with AA don't.
Been discussed here on FT at length but fully agree. Not giving LPs on something you as an elite, particularly an EXP/PP might get for free is pretty dumb in my opinion. I get it AA is trying to encourage flyers to spend more money and those occasional flyers probably don't care about LPs. But if LPs were offered I'd "upfare" more.
Old May 18, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Yes as mentioned, previous buy-up offers did not contribute to EQD's, so this is not a surprise. However, I strongly agree that buy-ups should give LP's.
Old May 18, 2022, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by EXP100
But if LPs were offered I'd "upfare" more.
Well then-- thank you for not doing so. Might leave more potential upgrades for others!
Old May 18, 2022, 4:21 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Making a quick day trip from ORD to DCA next week. Just booked my flight this morning. When I check my reservation, I'm being offered a chance to buy up to First Class for $365 each way (it appears one can upgrade either or both segments). The terms of the offer note that Loyalty Points would be awarded only on the original fare (so the buy-up amount is not LP eligible).

The joke is that the upgrade offer is almost to the Dollar what it would cost to change the ticket to a proper First Class ticket which, if I did this, I'd get LPs for the full amount of the fare.

What a dumb offer!
If the offer is basically what an F fare would cost, then you can do a change flight option and select First class. Then you'll be re-ticketed in F and get the loyalty points.

Usually the offers to upgrade are lower than the going rate to up-fare, but there are plenty of stories of bizarre upgrade offers. IT gremlins hard at work....
orbitmic and mmgm like this.
Old May 18, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by EXP100
But if LPs were offered I'd "upfare" more.
I'm not too knowledgeable about the topic but I had always thought that if you called in and said you wanted to "upfare", you were more or less buying a new ticket in a new fare class, getting a refund for what you paid and paying in full for the new ticket. Pre-LP you'd earn EQDs at that new fare class, so I would have assumed in the new world you'd earn more LPs in this situation too, and they'd just calculate how much you paid in total.

These in-app offers, in contrast, are like those TOD offers which pre-LP didn't change the EQDs you earned and were kind of equivalent to paying up to lock in an "upgrade". So these don't change your LP earning.

But I could be wrong and neither changes your LP earning. Haven't bit on either since they switched to LPs.
Old May 18, 2022, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
If the offer is basically what an F fare would cost, then you can do a change flight option and select First class. Then you'll be re-ticketed in F and get the loyalty points.

Usually the offers to upgrade are lower than the going rate to up-fare, but there are plenty of stories of bizarre upgrade offers. IT gremlins hard at work....
I fly JFK -SNA often. The cost of the fare and upgrade offer combined is usually about $60 less than buying a $750 J fare. I consider the slight discount the savings AA is getting from not having to give me loyalty points
Old May 18, 2022, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wayne Kao
I'm not too knowledgeable about the topic but I had always thought that if you called in and said you wanted to "upfare", you were more or less buying a new ticket in a new fare class, getting a refund for what you paid and paying in full for the new ticket. Pre-LP you'd earn EQDs at that new fare class, so I would have assumed in the new world you'd earn more LPs in this situation too, and they'd just calculate how much you paid in total.

These in-app offers, in contrast, are like those TOD offers which pre-LP didn't change the EQDs you earned and were kind of equivalent to paying up to lock in an "upgrade". So these don't change your LP earning.

But I could be wrong and neither changes your LP earning. Haven't bit on either since they switched to LPs.
You are exactly right. If you upfare your fare changes (hence the name). LPs and RDMs are based on the fare so if your fare goes up your LP and RDM go up.

On the other hand if you pay a fee to upgrade then your fare stays the same, and AA does not currently give out LPs or RDMs for fees. I don't understand the newfound outrage about this; last year you did not get EQDs or RMDs for fees either. People are acting like this is something new, but it's the way it's always been.
Old May 18, 2022, 7:31 pm

Sucks that AA doesn’t give LP for this. But don’t worry I can stay in an holiday inn tonight, pay $20 less than the regular rate and grab 4,000 LPs. SMH
Old May 19, 2022, 2:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
If a person has an AA credit card they could pay for the upgrade with that. You'd at least get 1x LPs on the purchase.. Better than nothing I suppose.
Old May 19, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Do like I did and write in about this. Not sure about DL but UA gives credit for these “discounted” upgrades. Think DL does too but not 100%.
Old May 19, 2022, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
Think DL does too but not 100%.
They do.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, Marriot Gold, HHonors Gold
I used an upgrade offer for $800 from LHR to JFK but the posted 6064 LPs (LHR-JFK posted in J) do not make any sense to me. I have Platinum Status and the original ticket was a round trip ticket ZRH-LHR-JFK which I paid $1,151 for ($783 fare + $191+ $177 taxes). If I divide the 6064 by 8 this would make $758 of total possible $974. Let's assume the upgrade does not generate any LP I don't understand why I'd get 6064 LPs unless the inbound flight is super cheap ($216) which I doubt.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by PHL

Fully agree - if OP is interested in the upgrade as long as it brings loyalty points at that price point, and this is achievable for a "genuine" fare difference upgrade but not from the similarly priced "promotional" upgrade, why not just pay the fare difference and get all that you want?

Don't take me wrong, I think it would be a lot better of AA to offer full benefits with those pro-active upgrades, but sadly, like a number of other airlines, they don't and in this case, from what they say, it seems that the OP would have a much nicer alternative at exactly the same price so not sure why one should make things complicated if they can be fixed in an easy way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.