Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA/Qatar Drama

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2022, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor ALL Platinum
Angry AA/Qatar Drama

On April 1st I booked JFK-DOH June 17-29 using 140,000 AA miles for two Qatar Airways operated flights. Both QSuites and both A351s.

Last Wednesday the outbound QR706 was cancelled I miraculously got rebooked on the AA120 which at the time I booked was still subject to regulatory approval. This is a 77W flight.

Obviously I am very unhappy with this change. Now American is being very unhelpful claiming that my only option to fly outbound with an earlier Qatar flight would be in economy.

When I originally booked there were several Qatar options available and I chose a 1am departure.

What can I do?
Old May 17, 2022, 9:02 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
If AA is telling you this, it's because Qatar hasn't given up any seats at the fare bucket (i.e. award bucket) for those types of seats. You could ask AA to contact the Qatar liaison desk about your situation to see if they would give you the seats. But if not, the 77W is not the end of the world.....
Old May 17, 2022, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I certainly understand your situation (I would be annoyed too, wanting to fly QR and Qsuites) but I don't think AA or QR are going to budge. AA issued the ticket and reaccommodated you in the same class of service.

To be honest, I'd also be happy the J ticket was not dropped entirely and I don't have to call AA to force mileSAAver J be opened, which would in the best case be on AA metal anyway.
TPJ, LETTERBOY, Cthunder86 and 1 others like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You were booked business class JFK-DOH and have been rebooked in business class JFK-DOH

If you want to change to a QR flight, then you need to find one with award availability.

That there may have been other options on 01/04, does not mean that there are on 18/05
Old May 17, 2022, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You were booked business class JFK-DOH and have been rebooked in business class JFK-DOH

If you want to change to a QR flight, then you need to find one with award availability.

That there may have been other options on 01/04, does not mean that there are on 18/05
Exactly this, and as noted, it’s good that the flight wasn’t dropped all together. Since it’s a 77W, maybe F web saver will open up…

I’d set up some alerts on EF (when it is working for QR) and check the app periodically to see if space opens up on QR. I’ve found that partner space will randomly appear.

Somewhat related - QR will re-book you if your flight is switched from Q-Suites to non Q-Suites. May not apply in your case, but you never know.

See here.

This happened to me on DOH-ORD last year at the gate, but at the time the ORD flight was one of the last flights to the US for the morning bank so non Q-Suites it was. Annoying, but much better than being in economy. To QR’s credit, the agents at AM did try and find space.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor ALL Platinum
Thanks for your responses. The AA EXP agent was of the opinion that AA’s 77W J is of the same standard as QR QSuites. I have flown this aircraft several times in J as long as LAX-SYD and I simply wanted to experience QR as I have never flown with them before.

Hopefully as it is a new ultra long haul route there is enhanced service and amenities like what they do to SYD to match Qantas with pajamas etc.

Added to this, I have a separate Doha to Manila booked on A351 QSuites which was also changed last Wednesday to 77W and one has the old Business. This also isn’t what I booked and paid cash for.

I must say the nature of these changes four weeks before travel leaves a sour taste in my mouth even before stepping foot on a QR aircraft.

Last edited by BGIWorldTraveller; May 19, 2022 at 10:29 am
Old May 18, 2022, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by BGIWorldTraveller
rebooked on the AA120
Yeah that sucks my friend. That's like looking forward to F on Emirates then finding out your beluga was swapped for a NK 320 big F seat.

Old May 18, 2022, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
Yeah that sucks my friend. That's like looking forward to F on Emirates then finding out your beluga was swapped for a NK 320 big F seat.

It's not that bad!

The AA 77W J seat is way more comfortable than the Q Suite. Soft product....
Old May 18, 2022, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by BGIWorldTraveller
Thanks for your responses. The AA EXP agent was of the opinion that AA’s 77W J is of the same standard as QR QSuites. I have flown this aircraft several times in J as long as LAX-SYD and I simply wanted to experience QR as I have never flown with them before.

Hopefully as it is a new ultra long haul route there is enhanced service and amenities like what they do to SYD to match Qantas with pajamas etc.

Added to this, I have a separate Doha to Manila booked on A351 QSuites which was also changed last Wednesday to 77W and one has the only Business. This also isn’t what I booked and paid cash for.

I must say the nature of these changes four weeks before travel leaves a sour taste in my mouth even before stepping foot on a QR aircraft.
Wait, I'm confused. QR cancelled a flight and did not rebook you on another QR flight? That would be unheard of. Or is it that the QR flight onto which you were rebooked did not work for your schedule?

There remains a reasonable chance that QR will open award inventory on the flight you want between now and the day of departure. As noted above, monitor for inventory (this is where Expertflyer pays for itself) and be prepared to drop what you are doing and get on the phone to make the change. Actually, assuming you have enough miles in your account, I'd go onto AA.com and book the newly available seat and then work with the EXP desk to get the miles for the AA-operated segment reinstated.

Also, have you checked other U.S. gateways? If you are leaving from JFK, BOS,IAD, and PHL are easy gateways to reach. Personally, I would not hesitate to go to ATL, DFW, IAH or ORD if it meant getting the seat I wanted.

Lastly, I would dispute the notion that JFK-DOH is ultra long haul. It is only 6704 miles, shorter than JFK-HND. I think you need to be north of 7500 miles before you cross into ultra long haul territory, but that's just me.

And the EXP agent is dead wrong that the service standard on AA and QR will be same. The seat, food, and service will be much better on QR.
Old May 18, 2022, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius

The AA 77W J seat is way more comfortable than the Q Suite.
On what planet?
Old May 18, 2022, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
This is like booking a CX F award from LAX-HKG, having a schedule change, and being rebooked on AA F from LAX-HKG.

Yes you are still technically in the same class of service on the same route etc. etc. but it's a downgrade in every way shape and form.

Personally I would HUCA a few times (if you have time) and try to get a good AA agent who will work with the QR liaison to open up something else on QR.

Had this been from any other QR gateway than JFK then QR would have re-accommodated you on another QR flight.
Old May 18, 2022, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PresRDC
On what planet?
This one. The Q suite is very cramped product. It's nicely appointed and has a door, but those are window dressing on a fairly tight seat. The 77W J seats (and the newer version on CX a350s) has a ton more space and no tiny leg cubicle.
tfizzle, cmtlatitudes and Cryofern like this.
Old May 18, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Wait, I'm confused. QR cancelled a flight and did not rebook you on another QR flight? That would be unheard of. Or is it that the QR flight onto which you were rebooked did not work for your schedule?
On an AA ticket, with no award space available in J on QR, it's not necessarily a surprise that AA would rebook onto an AA flight.
Adam1222, wrp96, Antarius and 1 others like this.
Old May 18, 2022, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Antarius
This one.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steveholt
On an AA ticket, with no award space available in J on QR, it's not necessarily a surprise that AA would rebook onto an AA flight.
Not in my 20+ years of AA award booking experience.

QR is the operating carrier. QR cancelled the flight. QR should have rebooked the OP on a different flight. It should have been automatic. Being on an AA ticket number is not relevant.

Perhaps the OP caught the cancellation and jumped the gun by calling AA before QR had sorted the rebooking.
TravelerMSY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.