Wiki Posts
Search

Reunited with my iPad after two years.

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2022, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Reunited with my iPad after two years.

So on a January, 2020 flight from LHR/DFW my iPad somehow got 'swallowed' by my seat in J. Upon landing the pilot helped me partially strip away some of the seat upholstery including the life vest but finding it proved fruitless. Seeing how I had a connecting flight and the aircraft was scheduled to go out anyway about an hour later, we abandoned calling maintenance in to help. For the next two days I was able to follow it's adventures to MIA and CLT but eventually the battery expired and I gave up ever retrieving it.

A couple days ago a mechanic in Tulsa, Roberto, called me to say he found it during a seat upgrade program...I had locked it with the startup screen giving my telephone number. He was so sweet to recharge it and notify me. A quick tweet to the AA team and the long lost device is on it's way home!

Have obviously replaced it, but it's gratifying to see so many nice people work behind the scenes at AA.
Old May 16, 2022, 1:35 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
That is going above and beyond; great customer service!
smartytravel, fdog and arollins like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by GaryZ;[url=tel:34254960
34254960[/url]]So on a January, 2020 flight from LHR/DFW my iPad somehow got 'swallowed' by my seat in J. Upon landing the pilot helped me partially strip away some of the seat upholstery including the life vest but finding it proved fruitless. Seeing how I had a connecting flight and the aircraft was scheduled to go out anyway about an hour later, we abandoned calling maintenance in to help. For the next two days I was able to follow it's adventures to MIA and CLT but eventually the battery expired and I gave up ever retrieving it.

A couple days ago a mechanic in Tulsa, Roberto, called me to say he found it during a seat upgrade program...I had locked it with the startup screen giving my telephone number. He was so sweet to recharge it and notify me. A quick tweet to the AA team and the long lost device is on it's way home!

Have obviously replaced it, but it's gratifying to see so many nice people work behind the scenes at AA.
A+
travelingdrsuz likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I thought they do a full STOP if an electronic device is swallowed by a business class seat given the concerns surrounding batteries, etc. I'm surprised they continued to fly with it embedded somewhere in the seat mechanicals?
Old May 16, 2022, 2:00 pm

It's great you found your tablet; however I thought the batteries in mobile devices made them a fire hazard and I'm surprised the crew gave up and kept flying the plane with your device somewhere in the seat.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
A&B cert needed for that mech.
tlglenn likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Goin-2-AA
A+
Actually, it's AA+
seawolf and SeattleWanderer like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:42 pm

Cool story. Thanks for sharing
Old May 16, 2022, 5:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Three cheers for Roberto!
Old May 17, 2022, 4:55 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Great outcome. Mine was "eaten" upon landing in MUC recently. I filled in the lost and found form, and the apple Find Me app allowed me to watch it fly around. It was actually taken out of the plane 2 days later in CLT. I updated the lost and found info with where the iPad was. I flew through CLT 3 days later and nobody had any clue where I could get that thing. There was still enough power left to see it on the Find app on the phone. Eventually I ended up land side at a baggage counter and was able to convince someone that behind his door is probably my iPad. It was. I doubt I would have gotten it back through anything AA would have done.

On the other hand - a few years ago I ran into a friend at FLL security and somehow that distracted me and I left my laptop in the bin. My laptop has no name etc. yet shortly after takeoff (I think the route was FLL-ATL-LAS) the flight attendant gave me a little print out "Please advise PAX in 2A that we have his laptop. Ask if we should keep it here or forward to LAS". They must have looked at video coverage to figure out it was mine. Delta brought this thing for free to my hotel in LAS. Was very impressed.

Another time my wife left a plastic bag on a Delta flight with Sea's Candies. I flew home a few hours later. There was a CC receipt in the bag. Someone was waiting at the gate when I got out and gave it to me. Also impressive.
Old May 17, 2022, 6:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
If the seats can "Eat" an iPad and not give it back... I wonder what else they find in there and a found box of SEE's Chocolates? that's a Moral Dilemma! is God testing me? or is God Rewarding Me? RT
eqeqeqx likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Wait so you're saying that for 2 years your iPad traveled around the globe in a seat? That is one well traveled iPad! It's like the Weasley's car roaming the forest turning wild.
Also...seat upgrade? Wonder what work is being done. J seat so maybe old Zodiac connected seat fixes?
onanisland likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by GeckoSnipp
Wait so you're saying that for 2 years your iPad traveled around the globe in a seat?
I'd put in a request for the mileage.
jhalapin, Mr. BoH and twooldgoats like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roadtriper
If the seats can "Eat" an iPad and not give it back... I wonder what else they find in there and a found box of SEE's Chocolates? that's a Moral Dilemma! is God testing me? or is God Rewarding Me? RT
The Tulsa supervisor who called me about the iPad said they had also found some 'high-end' credit cards with a wad of cash strapped to them...saying that the passenger will probably be quite surprised at their return!
roadtriper likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Just curious, which aircraft are currently getting seat upgrades in TUL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.