Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Dropped All Segments After First Flown, ‘HDQ’ in PNR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Dropped All Segments After First Flown, ‘HDQ’ in PNR

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2022, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by enviroian
Wow sorry to hear this OP. What a cluster. It really can be nothing less than someone screwing around with your reservation. This also makes we wonder how any tom, dick or harry can log into a traveler's reservation with only just a PNR and last name. Guest access should not be allowed for itinerary review/changes only logged into an AA account.
Thank you.

Do you remember me posting in the DL celebrity sightings thread? I flew LAX-MSP next to Jennifer Garner in F.

She signed her BP for me. Little did she know I could use the PNR and last name (not booked as Garner ) to look up her exact flight cost etc.

Obviously nothing nefarious at all. It was her only segment (didn’t even need the ticket number printed on the BP). And this problem is not restricted to AA...but it seems this is not a common occurrence on AA? It was in my coat, on me, on the first flight, and otherwise locked away, except for the time it was on the counter in the showers. Was that really the breach point? Why do they increase touch points for showers with taking physical BPs - is this to track you down if you steal the Dyson dryer? 😂
Old May 15, 2022, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Am I being cynical or is it possible that some rogue agent cancelled us because we were on that W-up fare? Or to accom a CK or something? I don’t understand how it allows a cancellation when already checked in and with bags checked in, too!
I think this is extremely, extremely, extremely unlikely. AA's accommodated and even rebooked me on mistake fares before. And there are much easier ways to accommodate a CK than cancelling your booking. I mean, it's not as if you weren't going to notice!
bgasser, wrp96 and Antarius like this.
Old May 15, 2022, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by steveholt
I think this is extremely, extremely, extremely unlikely. AA's accommodated and even rebooked me on mistake fares before. And there are much easier ways to accommodate a CK than cancelling your booking. I mean, it's not as if you weren't going to notice!
​​​​​​
agree with this. AA rebooked me on CX in full fare J after my AA flight got cancelled. I was on a 250 dollar round trip to China with SWU upgrades.

definitely looks like a mistake or some sort of screw up.
Old May 15, 2022, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by _kurt
To make an attempt at answering two of your other questions: If you had booked J and flown in Y you would be entitled to a partial refund. It sounds like you ended up flying J, just with a 4.5 hour mechanical delay followed by an unexpected overnight in MIA? If that’s the case, AA is not required to offer you anything but I think they will when you write a short, polite note to customer service. Especially if the itinerary change turns out to be AA’s fault.
Thank you for the reply. It turns out they did not properly book GRU-VVI on GOL in Gol’s W; the agent apparently got confused and saw zeroed out F and J availability (no such cabin exists on Gol 738s) and rebooked us into Y.

W is now sold out on the flight tomorrow.

They supposedly put us on the DSR list requesting C class…but I asked if GOL can even see any AA lists (getting them to honor such is a different question). She said she didn’t know. Supervisor also didn’t know but said unlikely.
Old May 16, 2022, 1:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
I believe AA's record locator is shown on baggage tags too. A conniving individual could grab that and last name (typically found on most pieces of luggage) to cancel a trip online. I agree with other posters that AA should add some additional security to prevent this type of thing.
Old May 16, 2022, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by flyupfront
I believe AA's record locator is shown on baggage tags too. A conniving individual could grab that and last name (typically found on most pieces of luggage) to cancel a trip online. I agree with other posters that AA should add some additional security to prevent this type of thing.
This is why I don’t throw away baggage tags until all segments on that ticket are flown. Following the outbound of a round-trip ticket I will keep the outbound bag tag in the suitcase and wait till I get home to throw the tags away.
Old May 16, 2022, 9:09 am
J S

Originally Posted by flyupfront
I think your name is also on the bag tag, no?
Old May 16, 2022, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
It's pretty crazy the amount of havoc one can create with a last name and record locator.
Old May 16, 2022, 10:43 am
Original Poster

To reply to the points about bag tags - the bags are still in transit, so nothing stuck to the bags has been removed or thrown away.

The rest of the bag tag they have the customer, has also been locked in my bag the entire trip.

Made it to GRU and almost misconnected because the AAgent doing connections printed connections for the previous day by accident (she finally figured this out after insisting she didn’t have any onward connections that day to my destination and that we must be on a separate ticket) given MIA-GRU left 5 minutes after midnight.

All that was left when we got to the plane was random middles in the back. Whoop whoop.
Old May 16, 2022, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
To reply to the points about bag tags - the bags are still in transit, so nothing stuck to the bags has been removed or thrown away.

The rest of the bag tag they have the customer, has also been locked in my bag the entire trip.

Made it to GRU and almost misconnected because the AAgent doing connections printed connections for the previous day by accident (she finally figured this out after insisting she didn’t have any onward connections that day to my destination and that we must be on a separate ticket) given MIA-GRU left 5 minutes after midnight.

All that was left when we got to the plane was random middles in the back. Whoop whoop.
Fortunately, GRU-VVI is short.

If you do hear anything back from AA, please do let us know. Very curious here as this who situation makes no sense whatsoever.
Old May 16, 2022, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
As a former AA employee and a relatively frequent flyer , I would not necessarily trust the reason given by the lounge agent (who kept digging). Often, it is very difficult to reconstruct what exactly happened just by "looking in the computer". I don't think it is possible to cancel a reservation on aa.com, if it is already partially flown. That sounds off to me (but I could be wrong).

I would contact AA customer service and ask them to look into it. I wonder if some sort of last minute aircraft change messed up the reservations somehow (particularly since the fare was a -UP type of fare), but I honestly have not heard of this happening.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by formeraa
I don't think it is possible to cancel a reservation on aa.com, if it is already partially flown. That sounds off to me (but I could be wrong).
I believe that it is (though I've never actually done it). I don't see why it wouldn't be. The ticket may still have partial value (and it won't if you no show).

I would contact AA customer service and ask them to look into it.
I think that this is clearly very good advice.
Old May 16, 2022, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I believe that it is (though I've never actually done it). I don't see why it wouldn't be. The ticket may still have partial value (and it won't if you no show).]
With AA, UA, and DL, I have never successfully canceled anything online. I always get the dreaded "Unable to cancel online. Please contact Reservations for further assistance"

It is a very strange situation. Usually, it is an agent in an irregular ops situation types the wrong command and accidentally cancels the reservation. I've personally had that happen at least three times in my 4 decades of flying. Hopefully, the OP gets a customer service rep who really is in a "research" mode here and gets to the bottom of what happened.
Old May 16, 2022, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've definitely cancelled online with UA, several times. No issues.

I thought I had never cancelled a paid res with AA but apparently that's not true because I did have some flight credit to use up. I don't actually remember doing it but I'm sure I did it online.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
Fortunately, GRU-VVI is short.

If you do hear anything back from AA, please do let us know. Very curious here as this who situation makes no sense whatsoever.
Thank you for everyone’s replies. The point about flight credit is interesting because wouldn’t we receive a credit for the value of the cancelled flights? That never happened.

I certainly will be following up with AA CR. The return is at the end of the month so I won’t write to them until the return is complete (if anything out of the ordinary happens there, might as well write them only once).

I did end up with a bag hiccup - AA got the bags on the new MIA-GRU. They misconnected in GRU - despite both the AA agent in GRU running the tag numbers and saying they made it, and the GOL Supervisor trying to find us seats doing the same. Incredibly disappointing that both of those folks were wrong, because I made clear to them I wouldn’t board GRU-VVI without luggage.

This is because GOL doesn’t fly GRU-VVI Tuesdays (this month at least). And I leave VVI for Brazil in a separate GOL PNR on Wednesday!

The GOL airport agents (all 3 of them who do everything GOL at VVI) told me GOL doesn’t have any agreements with BOA airlines, which does fly it tomorrow and could deliver it prior to Wednesday.

The GOL agents at VVI said they would try to upgrade us to premium Wednesday, for the downgrade today…they also gave us the old school hand filled in baggage claim forms.

Can folks please help me with:
1.) Will GOL reliably pay out for reasonable expenses for the 2 day delay?
2.) Can GOL get the bags on another airline? Or is there a number to contact AA to file a bag claim? I would prefer AA review the bag claim because we were ticketed with them and were in J/F on them.

thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.