Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA sends passenger info for strangers to my email

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA sends passenger info for strangers to my email

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2022, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Silver, JetBlue Mosaic
Experienced a major mixup (and personal data breach) from AA. John and Mary Doe's (not their real names) record locator was emal to me with a message about upgrade eligibility. I phoned AA to say that I should not have received info on other passengers' travel. We were traveling the same city pairs and share a first name, but that shouldn't be enough to cause their info to be sent to me. AA said they would take care of it. For these strangers' return travel I received their check-in notification and flight info, then I received a receipt for their day passes to the Admirals Club, charged to their credit card, but bearing all of my info (AAdvantage #, name, address, email, etc.), a copy of which these strangers also received, to their confusion. Note the strangers are no longer strangers, we have contacted each other via LinkedIn. Any thoughts on what the heck AA did to "fuse" my information into this other passenger record, time and again?

Last edited by Microwave; May 13, 2022 at 10:56 am Reason: Merged OPs from duplicate threads that have been themselves merged
Old May 13, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by BlaiseBOS
Experienced a major mixup (and personal data breach) from AA. John and Mary Doe's (not their real names) record locator was emal to me with a message about upgrade eligibility. I phoned AA to say that I should not have received info on other passengers' travel. We were traveling the same city pairs and share a first name, but that shouldn't be enough to cause their info to be sent to me. AA said they would take care of it. For these strangers' return travel I received their check-in notification and flight info, then I received a receipt for their day passes to the Admirals Club, charged to their credit card, but bearing all of my info (AAdvantage #, name, address, email, etc.), a copy of which these strangers also received, to their confusion. Note the strangers are no longer strangers, we have contacted each other via LinkedIn. Any thoughts on what the heck AA did to "fuse" my information into this other passenger record, time and again?
Any chance the no-longer strangers are catfishing you in order to fish info from you?
bchandler02 and D3Kingg like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by BlaiseBOS
John and Mary Doe's (not their real names)

Old May 13, 2022, 10:19 am
Suspended

This has happened to me both on AA or US Airways (I forget which) and definitely on Amtrak--another passenger's information showed when I scanned my ticket. It's just an IT screwup.
Old May 13, 2022, 10:24 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Frankly, the best action here is just to ignore those emails, don't even try to contact the strangers.
For my own piece of mind, I would change my email password and check my aa.com profile to see that everything is correct , change my aa password and check the latest activity on aa and credit cards just in case.
All in this will take 15-20 mins the most.

Spam? phishing? AA IT screw up? who cares?

You don't save the world by contacting the "strangers".
Old May 13, 2022, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
About once a year, someone posts that this happens. Apparently if the agent doesn't clear their screen or it doesn't clear, it can retain their old info (going off memory here, may be way off base).
vasantn and 777lover like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
If you're feeling frisky you can cancel their flights, or change the dates, give them crappy seats, or something equally malevolent.
Old May 13, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopefully you'll get their miles after they fly
Old May 13, 2022, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Pickles
If you're feeling frisky you can cancel their flights, or change the dates, give them crappy seats, or something equally malevolent.
Remind me not to piss you off!
Old May 13, 2022, 11:57 am

That is frightening and startling…
Old May 13, 2022, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Silver, JetBlue Mosaic
Thanks, Antarius. That was the type of answer I was seeking.

Additional note: the strangers were in the same city pair as I, and traveled on the same days to the same tiny resort airport through the same connecting city. So it's a "small world" situation and no catfishing, etc. Just didn't make sense why out of the blue I started getting their info and they were getting mine.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Frankly, the best action here is just to ignore those emails, don't even try to contact the strangers.
For my own piece of mind, I would change my email password and check my aa.com profile to see that everything is correct , change my aa password and check the latest activity on aa and credit cards just in case.
All in this will take 15-20 mins the most.

Spam? phishing? AA IT screw up? who cares?

You don't save the world by contacting the "strangers".
I agree with changing passwords and such but I would still want to know what is going on, and in the couple of cases where something like this happened and I contacted the other party (after contacting the vendor to convince myself it wasn’t a scam) we were both glad that I choose to take action.

OP, Any similarity between your email addresses? You mentioned contacting them via LinkedIn, do you know the email address they use with AA?
Old May 14, 2022, 12:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
or upgrade them to First Class
WeekendTraveler and Antarius like this.
Old May 14, 2022, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
About once a year, someone posts that this happens. Apparently if the agent doesn't clear their screen or it doesn't clear, it can retain their old info (going off memory here, may be way off base).
Best and most correct answer yet.

Man, that's evil. But not as evil as a late uncle of mine, who would answer to calls for "Joe" (say) with "Haven't you heard? Joe died last week!"
Old May 14, 2022, 11:15 am
Suspended

Why be malicious, particularly for no reason? Meechyathere's post is the way to go.
DC9 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.