Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Round Trip Now Cheaper Than Two One Ways?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2022, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Are discounted round trip vs one way fares a thing again? LAX-PHL-LAX in September is considerably cheaper round trip vs two one ways.

Last edited by mxracer95; May 10, 2022 at 12:27 am
Old May 10, 2022, 12:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by mxracer95
Are discounted round trip vs one way fares a thing again? LAX-PHL-LAX in September is considerably cheaper round trip vs two one ways.
They have never stopped being a thing on certain routes with little or no competition. The ULCCs price on a one way basis, so the majors follow for the most part but not when they don't need to. LAX-PHL is dominated by AA, the only alternative I see in September is a single NK redeye. So AA gets to set the terms instead of taking them.

DCA-LAS also has roundtrip pricing, for instance.
Old May 10, 2022, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
They have never stopped being a thing on certain routes with little or no competition. The ULCCs price on a one way basis, so the majors follow for the most part but not when they don't need to. LAX-PHL is dominated by AA, the only alternative I see in September is a single NK redeye. So AA gets to set the terms instead of taking them.

DCA-LAS also has roundtrip pricing, for instance.
Didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I thought when they switched to one-way pricing several years ago it was across the board.
Old May 10, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Many thanks for this post! My regular route is PHL-LAX-PHL and the fares have skyrocketed, but I hadn't even looked at round-trip. Roughly speaking, two one-ways in F are $1672 but RT is $1400ish.

Pre-covid the fare was around $610, and for some reason, connections are much cheaper now than nonstops. I have almost all my tickets through August purchased, so I can wait a bit and hope that fuel prices and hence fares come down at least somewhat.

Last edited by redtop43; May 10, 2022 at 11:28 am
Old May 10, 2022, 11:22 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Agreed, thanks for this post. I had no idea that RT was ever cheaper for domestic flights any longer - I've been blindly booking OW segments like a maniac!
Old May 10, 2022, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hp12c
Agreed, thanks for this post. I had no idea that RT was ever cheaper for domestic flights any longer - I've been blindly booking OW segments like a maniac!
RT is also good if you book BE fares, even if the price is the same. It's nice to have protection for the return if your outbound gets cancelled or delayed enough that you want to cancel for a refund.
scoonee likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 12:57 pm

I have noticed this as well recently - RT being cheaper than 2 OW. I've noticed it with direct flights only, not with layovers. YMMV obviously depending on route(s) and date(s).
Couple recent examples...
PHX-LAX-PHX and PHX-SFO-PHX cheaper booking RT than 2 OWs both in May. PHX-MIA-BWI-MIA-PHX same price - doesn't matter if RT or 2 OWs - this is for later in the year August/September.
Old May 10, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JustDandy
I have noticed this as well recently - RT being cheaper than 2 OW. I've noticed it with direct flights only, not with layovers. YMMV obviously depending on route(s) and date(s).
Couple recent examples...
PHX-LAX-PHX and PHX-SFO-PHX cheaper booking RT than 2 OWs both in May. PHX-MIA-BWI-MIA-PHX same price - doesn't matter if RT or 2 OWs - this is for later in the year August/September.
That's interesting because SFO-PHX has significant competition.
Old May 10, 2022, 3:51 pm

In all my years of flying, a RT has always been cheaper or same price as two one ways
Old May 10, 2022, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SteveinA2
In all my years of flying, a RT has always been cheaper or same price as two one ways
The point that is being made is that for most domestic flights on most airlines in the US, they are the same price.
Antarius and zdcatc12 like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
NYC -> EGE is much cheaper as a RT than a one way now
Old May 10, 2022, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
It's almost as though Revenue Management finally woke up and realized that they don't need do everything that Southwest is doing. Or someone gave them a kick in the pants and asked why DL is able to command a substantial yield premium over them.
Old May 10, 2022, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Or someone gave them a kick in the pants and asked why DL is able to command a substantial yield premium over them.
Doubt its about fare structure much more

1. Operational reliability
2. Roll over Miles make DL folks more sticky to DL
3. Subjective but from my experience as a Delta Diamond I was treated way better than an AA EXP
Old May 10, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
I don't fly overseas much, but on those times I've had cause to look at overseas fares, RT is often much cheaper than two one-ways. Sometimes cheaper than one one-way.

Airfares have gone through many permutations. I was only 21 when deregulation took place in 1978, so I had flown very very little, but I think it was pretty much just Y and F and that was it. Following deregulation, the first change I remember was "super-saver" fares which required a 30-day advance purchase, 7 day minimum stay, and were 40% off. There was a time (I think the early 1990's) when round-trips were much much cheaper but required a Saturday night stayover. Lately I've noticed that fares vary most by day of the week (Tuesdays and Wednesdays are cheapest).

I checked American Express and they had the same discounts (10% on F, 5% on Y) compared to the AA site, for both OW and RT.
Old May 11, 2022, 4:52 am

Programs: AA EXP.
it’s unfortunately been like this for a little bit now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.