Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

500-mile upgrades / stickers converting to Loyalty Points; discussion, options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

500-mile upgrades / stickers converting to Loyalty Points; discussion, options

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
My upgrade chances on AA will go up a bit for a short while, assuming the LPs are used in ranking for upgrades. In that regard, this is better than when DL wiped out a huge pile of their equivalent of these “sticker upgrades” — DL gave me nothing for wiping those out.

With AA, I have gotten upgrades with maybe 1% of the 500-milers given to me over the past 20 years.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
My upgrade chances on AA will go up a bit for a short while, assuming the LPs are used in ranking for upgrades. In that regard, this is better than when DL wiped out a huge pile of their equivalent of these “sticker upgrades” — DL gave me nothing for wiping those out.

With AA, I have gotten upgrades with maybe 1% of the 500-milers given to me over the past 20 years.
People have an amazing ability to find things to complain about. They used to charge for upgrades; now they are free. This is an improvement for the flyer -- AA is giving up revenue from selling the stickers. Where do you think that money came from before?
Old Jul 13, 2022, 3:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
People have an amazing ability to find things to complain about. They used to charge for upgrades; now they are free. This is an improvement for the flyer -- AA is giving up revenue from selling the stickers. Where do you think that money came from before?
Is the above a response to my post?
Old Jul 13, 2022, 3:04 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
I was under the assuptionn that we already had that benefit.
anyway - glad to undertand exactly what is happening moving forward
Old Jul 13, 2022, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is the above a response to my post?
Yes but I'm agreeing with you
Old Jul 13, 2022, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
EXP's have always had this....
Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
EXP's have always had this....
No. EXPs needed to use stickers to upgrade companions until this change.
GUWonder, ceebee100 and FAA1996 like this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
That's true. I had just bought some since we used this benefit often.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Interesting. Now I know why I have 4 - 500 milers in my account. I always wondered why.

Thanks
Old Jul 13, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by enviroian
Interesting. Now I know why I have 4 - 500 milers in my account. I always wondered why.
Could have acquired them on the way to initially qualifying for EXP (while Gold or Platinum, etc.). Pretty sure that’s how I got mine.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ
Could have acquired them on the way to initially qualifying for EXP (while Gold or Platinum, etc.). Pretty sure that’s how I got mine.
I was givdn 10 total in 2 separate promos, so that's all I have. I initially got EXP through the hyatt promo so I never actually earned any by flying.

I do have an upcoming trip with a companion where it would cost 11 if all upgrades clear, and possibly a few shorter trips that might cost 1 or 2, so I'm very happy with this change. I no longer have to decide if the upgrades are worth the cost. $40/500 miles is not really that cheap (like, I would probably not pay $40 to upgrade PHX-SAN; MCE is fine)
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
This change -- basically the elimination of e500s (fka electronic stickers) is not being done for the benefit of the customer, nor even for the upfront AA revenue stream -- it will actually reduce top-line revenue.

It is being done because AA wants to reduce the number of Gate Agents, possibly to one per domestic flight. They have been looking at ways to reduce the workload on GAs -- several of which revolved around the AAdvantage program, namely:
- Customers inquiring about the upgrade and standby waitlists (the upgrade queries are supposed to be reduced by auto-processing at t-40, before boarding begins)
- Customers asking about upgrading companions (this change will help to reduce those questions, especially if they involve issuing new e500s, which could be a time-consuming gate ticketing process)
- Customers asking about seat changes -- still will be a problem, but AA has tried to get this online as much as possible

If one GA can operate one domestic flight, it could greatly reduce the headcount AA has to maintain at each station.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastflyer
This change -- basically the elimination of e500s (fka electronic stickers) is not being done for the benefit of the customer,
Sure, but in this case it also benefits the customer. I don't really care what their motivations are. If our interests are aligned, great. Win/win.
fdog likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:19 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
As a data point: AA has refused to exchange the small number of purchased 500-mile upgrades on my account for miles, or to refund them. Their position is that I have not held AAdvantage status for some time (since 02/2011) and therefore can't expect a more positive response.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by redtop43
I contacted AA and was given 5,000 AA miles for each purchased e500 sticker in my account.

Last year I used my otherwise useless Amex Platinum fee credit to purchase 5 stickers. They converted these to 25,000 miles. The remaining stickers, which I earned through flying,
will be converted to 250 LPs.
Ah, did you do this recently? It would be very good to know as I believe all of my 500-mile upgrades were purchased.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.