Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

500-mile upgrades / stickers converting to Loyalty Points; discussion, options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

500-mile upgrades / stickers converting to Loyalty Points; discussion, options

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
I received notification but I'm still showing a stash of 500 mile upgrades and no option to convert them to loyalty points. Is this being done automatically?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Just received the email. The switch to LP's for your 500 milers is automatic and will happen by the end of this month.
MarkY123 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
I haven't received any communication from AA regarding LPs
Of course, no less than 20 minutes later, I receive the email from AA. 250 is a pathetic number of LPs to receive, but better than nothing.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
Of course, no less than 20 minutes later, I receive the email from AA. 250 is a pathetic number of LPs to receive, but better than nothing.
so AA is basically valuating every 500 miler at $250.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:09 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by enviroian
AA is valuating every LP at $4.25, if you want to go off of TPG's valuation of 1LP=1.77cents.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bse118
I'm confused. This is isn't exactly news. It was announced back in February. Or are you saying that you've actually seen the conversion in your account? Because that would be news.
The news is that it's finally happening, because as of July 14 companion upgrades are free.

It has been announced before but until now we didn't know that date that companion upgrades would no longer require the stickers.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Just received the email. The switch to LP's for your 500 milers is automatic and will happen by the end of this month.
Received this as well and my wife who does not have AA status is apparently now already on the upgrade list for our travel together this fall.

Looking at my AA account, I've got 25 500-mile upgrade coupons so we're talking 6,250 LPs. Better than nothing, I guess, as someone has already said.....
355F1 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:18 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
As a PlatPro 250 LPs is the equivalent of $28 spent on airfare. I suppose that’s in the ballpark of what the certs cost… but of course with airfare you’re getting something in addition to the LPs, whereas here the LPs are all we’re getting
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:43 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
​​​​​​Starting July 14, we're expanding your upgrade benefits to include a complimentary upgrade for one companion traveling with you. You’ll no longer need 500-mile upgrades — upgrades for AAdvantage® status members plus one companion are complimentary on flights within North America.

Will this fix the problem of my PLT GF never being at the top of the UG list with MY EXP status when traveling together....????

THAT is the Million Dollar Question here...

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I can't even figure out how many 500 upgrades I have in my account. I've looked at my AADV account on aa.com and I can't seem to find them anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction?

They are in your Wallet on the app or web browser.

Last edited by Microwave; Jul 14, 2022 at 3:34 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Everything that you could possibly use them for is now free. Would you like to keep them for posterity?
Before I had paid for the ability to upgrade and I would only be competing against other elites who either got comp upgrades or who were using their certs also so I had a chance at being successful. Now I will face greater competition for upgrades. Now, the money I spent on the certs is gone and I get LPs that will never benefit me in return. I would have never purchased LPs. I feel raped.
TheDudeAbides and Morty1944 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by azmojo
Before I had paid for the ability to upgrade and I would only be competing against other elites who either got comp upgrades or who were using their certs also so I had a chance at being successful. Now I will face greater competition for upgrades. Now, the money I spent on the certs is gone and I get LPs that will never benefit me in return. I would have never purchased LPs. I feel raped.
You purchased some items that no longer have any use and they are being converted. Please do not trivialise serious crimes
beltway, LadyShiva, mrow and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Yeah, I got the e-mail, too. I have 31 upgrades which I never bother to use. Even when I was flying on business a lot the only time I was able to redeem them would be on the MCI-ORD (or vice versa) route. Typically it was a morning flight when I was heading to the office so swilling all the booze I could imbibe on the hour-long flight was not a good idea. I was able to use them ONCE on a longer flight with a real dinner. It was a flight to NYC on a Super Bowl Sunday evening. Coincidence? I think not. :-)

So... it's the usual airline tactic. Let the value of a perk deteriorate over time to the point that it's useless and when you take it away few people will notice.

And now they will gone... poof! Turned into LP that will expire likely without me being able to derive any benefit as I will probably not be travelling before they expire. Doesn't seem legal.
I'm assuming that loyalty points, like others, expire only after there's been no activity in the account for a specified period (3 years?). Easy to keep the account active- donate a few miles to charity or use miles to buy a magazine subscription or make a purchase through AA's shopping portal.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, AS
I read somewhere (I think it was TPG) that if you paid for certs, you could call AA and ask if they’d give you miles or a cash refund instead of LPs. Any certs that were earned from flight activity could only be converted to LPs.
dw and Morty1944 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:24 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Athena53
I'm assuming that loyalty points, like others, expire only after there's been no activity in the account for a specified period (3 years?). Easy to keep the account active- donate a few miles to charity or use miles to buy a magazine subscription or make a purchase through AA's shopping portal.
Definitely go to AA.com and get caught up on the AAdvantage developments for 2022 ;-)
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Can someone explain to me what "loyalty points" are? Is that the same as miles? My LT Gold husband who hardly ever flies AA anymore has 10 stickers that no joke have been there for 20 years. Will he get anything out of this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.