Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Anyone else changing flights due to the well publicized issues at LHR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2022, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold

Now, I will start by saying that I absolutely hate transiting through LHR under the best of circumstances - originating or terminating there is ok. The recent highly publicized issues at LHR (cancelled flights, extreme luggage delays....) prompted me to change two AA business class tickets I had scheduled for the summer to other carriers. This actually led to shorter travel time in both instances and in one a single connection within the US. I had sucked up the LHR transit initially to help with LP as I am so close to EXP for 2023. I think I'll still make it, but it was assured had I used these original flights.

Does anyone know why AA does not utilize the MADrid hub for Iberia more often as a connecting point? It is such a modern airport and in my experience so easy to use. If you are on ONEWORLD, you never have the hassle of taking lengthy bus rides between terminals, i.e., T4S and T4. I mean Iberia and BA are both owned by IAG, I've never understood the lack of use of MAD as a connecting point.
tcdtcd and Spiff like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I actually like transiting through LHR. I like the arrivals lounge. Get a nice shower, a quick meal, and transfer to the final destination.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 10:59 am

I agree that MAD is an easy airport. There's nothing to stop you connecting at MAD instead of LHR, provided that IB has a flight to your ultimate destination.
The reason that LHR is used more for connections, and more feed by AA, is that BA has connecting flights to far more destinations than IB does from MAD.
SK, BWISkyGuy, FAA1996 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by NDFan
I agree that MAD is an easy airport. There's nothing to stop you connecting at MAD instead of LHR, provided that IB has a flight to your ultimate destination.
The reason that LHR is used more for connections, and more feed by AA, is that BA has connecting flights to far more destinations than IB does from MAD.
And US-LHR flights are more desirable to run because there is more local trqffic.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by NDFan
Yes, LHR is good for connecting if you can avoid the bus. It can't beat AMS though. Among other reasons, no second trip through security is nice.

Last edited by Aliquot; Apr 17, 2022 at 12:33 pm
Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by NW.BTR.Than.The.Rest
Now, I will start by saying that I absolutely hate transiting through LHR under the best of circumstances - originating or terminating there is ok.
Originating there isn't much fun lately either. Check-in area at T5 was a mess when I was there a few weeks ago. Even a 20 min wait at First Wing check-in.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by econ
Originating there isn't much fun lately either. Check-in area at T5 was a mess when I was there a few weeks ago. Even a 20 min wait at First Wing check-in.
Terminating there is even worse.Long lines to clear border control.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Ive done Madrid a couple of times and it is pretty damned easy - certainly a cake walk compared to LHR. Will be doing both MAD and LGW this coming summer - totally bypassing LHR.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
A problem I have noticed is that even though there would be a connecting flight in MAD with plenty of time between the arrival from the US, AA.COM often does not display the US-MAD-EUROPE as an option.
SK likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, BA, KE
MAD is awful if you have to transfer T1 to T4 to catch an IB flight. HEL, on the oher hand, is easy, but only good fo certain northern European destination cities.
sushanna1, MatJarosz and Markie like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Don't conflate the entire airport with the couple of airlines that are having issues.

Virgin weren't having the issues that BA were having for example and nor were DL or UA or KL or AF or QR ...

The T5-T3 bus is hardly a long journey in the scheme of things and is much quicker that the airside alternative.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by hdp323
MAD is awful if you have to transfer T1 to T4 to catch an IB flight. HEL, on the oher hand, is easy, but only good fo certain northern European destination cities.
Why would you need to go from T1 to T4? All Oneworld ops are in T4.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:57 pm

Does anyone know why AA does not utilize the MADrid hub for Iberia more often as a connecting point? It is such a modern airport and in my experience so easy to use. If you are on ONEWORLD, you never have the hassle of taking lengthy bus rides between terminals, i.e., T4S and T4. I mean Iberia and BA are both owned by IAG, I've never understood the lack of use of MAD as a connecting point.
BA's product is also much better than IB. If you're flying AA on the long flight and then connecting to Europe it doesn't really matter but if you're connecting further or your first flight is on BA/IB metal, you'll notice the difference.
FAA1996 and Crismyth like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, BA, KE
Originally Posted by dls25
Why would you need to go from T1 to T4? All Oneworld ops are in T4.
My bad. It's been a while since I flew through MAD. When did AA move to T4? I'm glad to har that, because I have an upcoming flight connection through MAD next month from IB to AA.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
A problem I have noticed is that even though there would be a connecting flight in MAD with plenty of time between the arrival from the US, AA.COM often does not display the US-MAD-EUROPE as an option.
Search on Google flights. AA.com sux at finding connections...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.