Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Travel is a WASTE

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2022, 8:07 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
I would consider 130K each way still a good value if the alternatives are expensive. If the lowest workable cash option is $5K round-trip and you spend 260K miles, that is nearly 2 cents per mile and nothing to complain about, IMO.
I get the best deals (miles or cash) when I have the most flexibility and still consider my miles worthwhile when they save me $$$$ on less flexible plans, even if I am paying a lot more.
Exactly right on flexibility - By departing on a random Tuesday in June, I got Finnair for 57.5K miles + $10 from the west coast to central Europe. Of course, the cash fare for off dates is also lower, so my redemption was about 3 cents / mile. The value is there if you put the effort in.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
I disagree, unless the main thing you care about is transatlantic redemption.

Any other region, including domestic, AA's largest market, I find AA miles to be among the most useful miles out there.

IMO, if TATL is your main goal, you should choose a star program such as UA or Lifemiles as your primary, depending how you mostly earn miles.

Exactly. The frequency I have been able to book domestic F on AA for a fraction of what any other program wanted stands out.
Note that the best time to find airfare bargains, be it with miles or cash, is not when the airlines are experiencing record demand as they are this month.

I would consider 130K each way still a good value if the alternatives are expensive. If the lowest workable cash option is $5K round-trip and you spend 260K miles, that is nearly 2 cents per mile and nothing to complain about, IMO.
I get the best deals (miles or cash) when I have the most flexibility and still consider my miles worthwhile when they save me $$$$ on less flexible plans, even if I am paying a lot more.
For me, not living in the US I have no use for domestic redemptions. And even when I have tried to use them in the US they play so many shenanigans with married segments, etc.

But even with transatlantic, AA has bad options. Their flights are always priced at ridiculous levels, they force you onto BA with ridiculous surcharges. So you're basically limited to IB and AY to the US. And transpacific travel is even worse, with fewer options. Deep South America is a toss-up with AA but again, this is all more relevant for folks living in the US.

As for StarAlliance LM used to be good and was a great option but it's been notoriously bad lately as LH/LX/AC have cut availability to LM in J.

LH and AF are way better in my opinion though earning those miles is harder and you pay in terms of fuel surcharges.

I for one would never pay 130K for a one-way ticket to Europe from the East Coast... when you can find $1000 OW fares on TP/B6 out of NYC/BOS... but to each his/her own...
Old Apr 14, 2022, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
In 2008, 115,000 AA miles will get you RT CX F class to 2 cities in Asia. How many miles will it cost now? My calc is based on this.
Approximately 18,000,000
Old Apr 14, 2022, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by 747-800i
...managed to use AA miles to book wife and I to/from French Polynesia in biz, to the Seychelles...
What a great trip this must've been! Curious...how did you do the PPT-SEZ piece?

Only thing I could think of is an Air Tahitu Nu award to AKL then a (seperate) QR award to DOH/SEZ?
Old Apr 14, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Pro tip: When booking AA metal 6+ months in advance, you can choose the terrible schedule that costs so much less. When the inevitable schedule changes happen, you can choose the best schedule option without paying more.

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
But even with transatlantic, AA has bad options. Their flights are always priced at ridiculous levels, they force you onto BA with ridiculous surcharges. So you're basically limited to IB and AY to the US. And transpacific travel is even worse, with fewer options. Deep South America is a toss-up with AA but again, this is all more relevant for folks living in the US.
Rather, transatlantic is the only major AA redemption weak spot compared to their primary competition.
To every other region from the US, AA miles value are competitive.
Having said that, I had lots of date options for 3 people business class at the saver level AA metal BOS-XXX-LHR in May booking 4 months out. I booked the connection, waited for the schedule change, and now have the desired nonstop.

As for StarAlliance LM used to be good and was a great option but it's been notoriously bad lately as LH/LX/AC have cut availability to LM in J.

LH and AF are way better in my opinion though earning those miles is harder and you pay in terms of fuel surcharges.
My last LM TATL business class awards involved UA connecting to SN or all TK flights. Good to know they are harder to use these days.
LH and AF miles have occasionally provided me with the best value. Those fuel surcharges really add up.

I for one would never pay 130K for a one-way ticket to Europe from the East Coast... when you can find $1000 OW fares on TP/B6 out of NYC/BOS... but to each his/her own...
Looking at what the OP needs, PDX-PMI, there are a few dates around $3K, so I wouldn't redeem the miles if those can work either.
I compare the price in miles to workable cash options and when all cash options are high, paying more miles than I prefer can still be a great value.

Last edited by wanaflyforless; Apr 14, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Old Apr 14, 2022, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
What a great trip this must've been! Curious...how did you do the PPT-SEZ piece?

Only thing I could think of is an Air Tahitu Nu award to AKL then a (seperate) QR award to DOH/SEZ?
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess they weren't doing it on the same trip...
Old Apr 14, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
deleted
Old Apr 14, 2022, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
(Sips tea while thinking about his HEL-SEA nonstop in J this summer and his multiple SEA-LHR-SEA trips in AA J)

Yeah, totally useless, complete waste. I’ll take them off your hands for $20. Save you the trouble.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
I can pretty regularly get domestic flights for 2 cents per mile if I look, which I consider decent redemptions usually. Got some decent deals for this summer, including a total steal of a couple tickets at 12k miles RT.

YMMV but there are definitely deals to be had, especially if you can book out enough to risk AA changing the schedule. Got rid of a red-eye and some inconvenient layovers that was cheap due to schedule changes.
wanaflyforless likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
(Sips tea while thinking about his HEL-SEA nonstop in J this summer and his multiple SEA-LHR-SEA trips in AA J)\.
Darjeeling, Earl Grey or Chai?
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes

Haven't gone yet! Coming up in the fall. It's AA/TN from USA to PPT and back, then we have to go to a wedding in between trips, AA/QR from USA to SEZ.
cmtlatitudes likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Darjeeling, Earl Grey or Chai?
It was chai.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I just booked a one way flight for this coming Tuesday for 10k as a web special. I'm ok with that.

Not saying it isn't harder to get good deals compared to 5 years ago, but it is still doable if you are flexible.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 11:53 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Awards are certainly different now. No more fairly predictable stuff at end of schedule, or within seven days, but stuff does randomly pop up on a web special. Grabbing “anything” and schedule changing into something better seems to be the way to go.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
went ahead and booked biz award 780,000 miles 2 biz class seats dfw to paris. frustrating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.