Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO - NYC First or Business?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:15 pm

Generally speaking, some of my personal views.

1. Flying with another - prefer J.
2. Alone - F is better without a seatmate.
3. F for FFD if I have to wait or if early check in isn't available.
4. Finally, prefer the last row in F or J - what's with people who always have go grab seats when they walk up & down the aisle or get up?

From JFK - SFO, prefer F because it's a longer flight and the amount of Champagne (LP GS) consumed, better to be spared the coach thing into the forward lavs.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Checking bags, and/or verifying documents for an international destination? Seriously, do you think the check-in counters are empty?
They should be. I haven't checked in luggage since the Clinton administration. When I travel international usually it's the gate agent that verifies docs, if at all.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
I realize it's offered but when is the last time anyone "checked in" at a counter before?
I do it all the time.

First, OLCI doesn't always work international travel. I most recently had this issue when going to Mexico on AA a few weeks ago but I've had it on other airlines as well. I have actually never once successfully done international OLCI on UA. They just don't like my passport or something. I would guess that I've had to check in with an agent on at least half of my international flights (over all airlines)

Also I check a bag about 90% of the time and if I know I have to go to to the counter to drop off my bag I will sometimes not bother to OLCI.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:35 pm

They should be. I haven't checked in luggage since the Clinton administration. When I travel international usually it's the gate agent that verifies docs, if at all.
Since covid it's nearly impossible to check in online for an international flight.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:41 pm

RE: Int'l OLCI

There had been a period when flying from SFO - HKG, which for AA required a ferry to LAX, where OLCI simply wouldn't work for me. For whatever reason, AA or whatever contractor wanted me to physically check in at SFO for a document check. Now, AA has my documentation and shouldn't require it. From a foreign outstation, I get it; but, from the US? Are you kidding?

I had gotten so sick of this, one of the few tweet PMs (I knew they'd put this into my file) I had ever sent was a diatribe basically saying if they do this to me again, I'm flying another airline. I mean, what the heck is the point of flying a USA airline if they're going to treat me this way? Mind as well fly a foreign carrier then. Perhaps, it was purely coincidental, but this OLCI error thing stopped on int'l flights shortly after.

PS - Of course, this was before all this Covid crap and nonsense.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
Since covid it's nearly impossible to check in online for an international flight.
well I must be lucky as I haven't had any problem with OLCI international in years.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I realize it's offered but when is the last time anyone "checked in" at a counter before?
Are you for real?

Originally Posted by Raralith
No idea what minimal to you is because J vs. F from LAX-JFK is like double ($1.3k vs. $2.5k) for RT
The fares, as well as the fare differential, can vary BIGLY on these routes. Sometimes the fares are quite close, but this can be because they are both very cheap or because they are both very expensive.
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by WingsAroundtheWorld
- So the difference is the lounge access (but there is no Flagship First dining at SFO?) or the food and drink onboard?
You can still access FFD on arrival at JFK.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: BAEC
Travelling Eastbound on a night flight I wouldn't say it's worth the extra cash. Eat in the air if you like then go into bed mode. It's not a long enough flight that you'll miss out on much and you'll be descending before you know it.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by u01sss3
Travelling Eastbound on a night flight I wouldn't say it's worth the extra cash. Eat in the air if you like then go into bed mode. It's not a long enough flight that you'll miss out on much and you'll be descending before you know it.
Also perfectly content with J on the red-eye where I typically go straight to sleep.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i find the J seat better for sleeping if on the red-eye--the padding is just more comfy IMO.

otherwise prefer F every time just because ive become spoiled with not sitting next to anyone.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
When travelling J on the premium transcon routes, are there any dedicated check-in desks?
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Hunt, dive, backpack, ski, golf, pole vault, etc, etc, etc – lots of worthwhile adventures require checking bags from time to time.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by krispy84
When travelling J on the premium transcon routes, are there any dedicated check-in desks?
The less than handful of times I have checked in at the counter @ SFO (baggage or IROPS), there aren't dedicated check in desks, but there hasn't been much wait if any for the premium line. I have not seen the setup since the T1 move.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 11:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VSLover
i find the J seat better for sleeping if on the red-eye--the padding is just more comfy IMO.

otherwise prefer F every time just because ive become spoiled with not sitting next to anyone.
I agree the J seat has better padding (a super comfortable seat for sleeping), but I still prefer F for the redeye due to the lack of seatmate. Not sure I'd pay more than about $200 extra, but it's worth an SWU to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.