Modest Suggestion For Loyalty Points

Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:01 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: South Bend, IN
Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 18,542
Modest Suggestion For Loyalty Points

If the intent behind loyalty points is to reward spend vs miles flown, then why shouldn’t I receive loyalty points when I buy tickets for my family? I’m choosing to spend the money on AA vs a competitor and it’s my loyalty to AA that’s driving that decision. It just makes sense that I should get the loyalty points if I want them. Especially if we’re all flying under the same reservation.

In other words, give me the option to have the points flow to my account vs their accounts, earning what I’d earn if it were me flying. Hell, even if I’d earn at the basic AAdvantage earning level, I’d still feel as though AA is recognizing my decision to steer my family’s business to AA.
PresRDC is offline  
Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:27 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: LAX/SFO
Posts: 369
Great idea. Knowing AA though...they will probably make you pay a *fee* to do that at check out.
sof_lance is offline  
Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:31 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: South Bend, IN
Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 18,542
Originally Posted by sof_lance
Great idea. Knowing AA though...they will probably make you pay a *fee* to do that at check out.
I’d pay a reasonable fee to have that as an option.
PresRDC is offline  
Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:48 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: USA
Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Posts: 2,914
Under this type of system, a huge percentage here would lose the status they get via employer-paid travel.
js1993 is offline  
Old Mar 31, 2022, 11:03 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 29,073
Originally Posted by PresRDC
If the intent behind loyalty points is to reward spend vs miles flown, then why shouldn’t I receive loyalty points when I buy tickets for my family? I’m choosing to spend the money on AA vs a competitor and it’s my loyalty to AA that’s driving that decision. It just makes sense that I should get the loyalty points if I want them. Especially if we’re all flying under the same reservation.

In other words, give me the option to have the points flow to my account vs their accounts, earning what I’d earn if it were me flying. Hell, even if I’d earn at the basic AAdvantage earning level, I’d still feel as though AA is recognizing my decision to steer my family’s business to AA.
If you pay for your family's travel with a Barclays or Citi AAdvantage card, you will earn Loyalty Points for the amount charged to your card. I suspect that that's about as good as it's going to get.
KBMIFlyer, aktchi, S80 and 7 others like this.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:40 am
  #6  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Posts: 999
I would tend to agree with this idea.

My wife has an ice-cube's chance of ever breaking into Gold territory with her infrequent flying, so LP's she earns are essentially useless. Steering her LP's my way (since they were paid with my wallet) would be nice.
I would then contend that LP's earned by her CC should also flow to my account - which is something we could accomplish via an Authorized User on one of my cards.
But I think OP's idea has close to zero chance of materializing into actual AA policy.

All that said, I usually burn AA miles for my wife's tickets and pay cash for mine.
Since we have plenty of RDM, and her tickets are really just leisure travel, AND we have no interest in her earning status.
Don't want to give AA actual $$ for her tickets, since the marginal gains of a cash ticket over award ticket don't have much value for her.

Just my 2 cents on OP's idea.
jtav559 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 2022, 10:16 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Posts: 35,127
Originally Posted by PresRDC
If the intent behind loyalty points is to reward spend vs miles flown, then why shouldn’t I receive loyalty points when I buy tickets for my family? I’m choosing to spend the money on AA vs a competitor and it’s my loyalty to AA that’s driving that decision. It just makes sense that I should get the loyalty points if I want them. Especially if we’re all flying under the same reservation.

In other words, give me the option to have the points flow to my account vs their accounts, earning what I’d earn if it were me flying. Hell, even if I’d earn at the basic AAdvantage earning level, I’d still feel as though AA is recognizing my decision to steer my family’s business to AA.
I have already predicted here that this will happen eventually.

Originally Posted by js1993
Under this type of system, a huge percentage here would lose the status they get via employer-paid travel.
Absolutely. Law of unintended consequences and all that. Luckily I've been my own employer and employee for 20 years.
Originally Posted by jtav559
But I think OP's idea has close to zero chance of materializing into actual AA policy.
Who would have believed last year that AA would make it possible to earn even the highest-level earnable status purely through shopping and hotel stays? I have nearly 140K LPs right now with no flying.
LovePrunes and TravelerMSY like this.
vasantn is online now  
Old Apr 1, 2022, 10:33 am
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Oregon
Programs: AA, UA
Posts: 117
Originally Posted by vasantn
Luckily I've been my own employer and employee for 20 years.
How are the company holiday parties? Lonely?
355F1 likes this.
Peter Snijder is offline  
Old Apr 1, 2022, 10:37 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Posts: 35,127
Originally Posted by Peter Snijder
How are the company holiday parties? Lonely?
Actually they have been a lot of fun when I've had them. For 6 years I owned and ran a real business with 40+ employees and our parties were a blast. The rest of the time I've been an independent consultant and have been quite happy to party with just friends and family.
LovePrunes and Peter Snijder like this.
vasantn is online now  
Old Apr 1, 2022, 10:39 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Programs: AAdvantage
Posts: 890
Originally Posted by vasantn
I have already predicted here that this will happen eventually.


Absolutely. Law of unintended consequences and all that. Luckily I've been my own employer and employee for 20 years.
Who would have believed last year that AA would make it possible to earn even the highest-level earnable status purely through shopping and hotel stays? I have nearly 140K LPs right now with no flying.
Don't you need to have at least 30 segments? Honestly they've made this program confusing. My goal is to make PP (and not do extra trips for EXP), settle more for MCE now that food and booze are back, and buy first when I truly want first.

But yeah I get your point. Loyalty is no longer about patronizing the airline's course business.
EXP100 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:29 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: USA
Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Posts: 2,914
Originally Posted by vasantn
I have already predicted here that this will happen eventually.

Absolutely. Law of unintended consequences and all that. Luckily I've been my own employer and employee for 20 years.
It's not unintended if it's plainly foreseeable.

There's no chance of this idea happening. People already get LP for anything they charge to their AA CC, but AA isn't going to get into the business of having people assign or disclaim LP from actual flying. It would be an administrative nightmare, plus AA would upset millions of business travelers. And even if it was as simple as "the buyer gets all LP for everything," the CEO of Deloitte having 20 bazillion LP wouldn't do AA any good.
ksucats, bse118 and JJeffrey like this.

Last edited by js1993; Apr 1, 2022 at 11:35 am
js1993 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:38 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,904
Originally Posted by js1993
It's not unintended if it's plainly foreseeable.

There's no chance of this idea happening. People already get LP for anything they charge to their AA CC, but AA isn't going to get into the business of having people assign or disclaim LP from actual flying. It would be an administrative nightmare, plus AA would upset millions of business travelers. And even if it was as simple as "the buyer gets all LP for everything," the CEO of Deloitte having 20 bazillion LP wouldn't do AA any good.
Exactly. The reason that this won't happen is that the whole point of loyalty programs (or at least one of the main reasons that they exist) is to give kickbacks to people who travel using OPM and have their choice of airline.
chrisny2 likes this.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:44 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: USA
Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Posts: 2,914
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Exactly. The reason that this won't happen is that the whole point of loyalty programs (or at least one of the main reasons that they exist) is to give kickbacks to people who travel using OPM and have their choice of airline.
Yup.
js1993 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:45 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wanting First. Buying First.
Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Posts: 17,012
Originally Posted by PresRDC
...my decision to steer my family’s business to AA.
Why do you hate your family?
Herb687 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:11 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: South Bend, IN
Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 18,542
Originally Posted by Herb687
Why do you hate your family?
Quote of the day. Love it!
njvandy and donotblink like this.
PresRDC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.