Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Class Mile Redemption TPA-PAR 130k miles PLUS $934

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Gold

Like the title says, trying to use miles for a business class flight from Tampa to Paris (Via wherever). Cheapest I saw was 130k miles PLUS $934. Is that normal now???
Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by PcolaPaul
Like the title says, trying to use miles for a business class flight from Tampa to Paris (Via wherever). Cheapest I saw was 130k miles PLUS $934. Is that normal now???
Yes and no. Are you searching one-way or roundtrip?

If you use BA for the transatlantic flight then a one-way from TPA-CDG should cost 57.5k miles + ~$750 in taxes and fees.

But if you use AA then the total taxes/fees should be $5.60 for a one-way, but of course the miles required will vary from 60-110k or more depending on which month you're looking.

Both of these are normal and have been discussed ad nauseam.

Carrier Imposed Surcharge / YQ: AA award on BA / British (& IB) & avoiding it
Old Mar 29, 2022, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PcolaPaul
There are cheaper options -- on some days:

Old Mar 29, 2022, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I did a search on fees, should have searched Surcharge. Thanks for the guidance
Old Mar 29, 2022, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes and no. Are you searching one-way or roundtrip?

If you use BA for the transatlantic flight then a one-way from TPA-CDG should cost 57.5k miles + ~$750 in taxes and fees.

But if you use AA then the total taxes/fees should be $5.60 for a one-way, but of course the miles required will vary from 60-110k or more depending on which month you're looking.

Both of these are normal and have been discussed ad nauseam.

Carrier Imposed Surcharge / YQ: AA award on BA / British (& IB) & avoiding it
Round trip, I'll make sure to exclude BA. That was why the surcharge was so high. Makes sense. Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2022, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The also may be cheaper options that don't show up in the search.

For example when I was trying to get to Rome the only options in the search results were on AA metal for 300k miles 🤣🤣🤣. But I found award space on AY to HEL, and award space from HEL to FCO... so I knew it was possible.

I put a hold on the award as far as HEL and then called in to have them add the HEL-FCO segment. The phone call took about 2 minutes (thanks EXP desk, you are awesome). A non-EXP reported that it took 3 phone calls where he was given incorrect information each time, even by the agent who managed to add the segment, so this may be a frustrating experience depending on status and/or agent competence.
sexykitten7 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.