Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points on AAdvantage eShopping / shopping - rates, delays (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Loyalty Points on AAdvantage eShopping / shopping - rates, delays (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2022, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
For the ones arguing that shopping portal purchases don't necessarily result in "all base miles" but instead would count as one base mile per dollar spent and any 3x, 3x, 4x milage earn per dollar spent would be bonus miles and not count towards LP, how would "make a purchase or join a subscription club and earn XYZ miles" be divided into basic vs. bonus miles?
If I sign up for the Sunbasket meal delivery service through the eShopping portal I would earn 3,700 miles. How would that be broken down into base miles vs. bonus miles? The exact amount charged weekly by Sunbasket varies depending on which plan is chosen and how many meals are ordered, and the amount charged will most likely never be reported by Sunbasket to the eShopping portal. So how could the 3,700 miles possibly be divided into basic miles vs. bonus miles based on how much the customer paid? The way I see it, all 3,700 miles must be basic miles because there's no way to determine how divide the miles into two categories.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 1:41 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
For the ones arguing that shopping portal purchases don't necessarily result in "all base miles" but instead would count as one base mile per dollar spent and any 3x, 3x, 4x milage earn per dollar spent would be bonus miles and not count towards LP, how would "make a purchase or join a subscription club and earn XYZ miles" be divided into basic vs. bonus miles?
There is no reliable information to answer that question. I believe they'll all be base miles and you earn LP on all of them, but who knows until March 1, 2021 when AA will grace us by telling us how many LP we earned in January and February. If we're lucky they may even tell us how many we earned for each transaction instead of just telling us how many we earned in total.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:01 pm

Dear American Airlines, you suck at communication. Especially regarding earning points with your new Lousy Points program.

See this attached picture. This is just one example of the questions we have.

Tell us whether we would receive 3700 loyalty points, 500 loyalty points, 0 loyalty points, or some other amount of loyalty points.

To be clear, please stop sucking at communication regarding your new Lousy Points program. Thank you.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by Beckles
I'm not sure what interface you're looking at your postings, but the information is definitely there, pretty clearly on the website, on the mobile app I have to click on the where it says the number of miles with an arrow to the right and it shows a breakdown of base and bonus miles for each posting.

If all partner base miles count, great, it just seems highly unlikely that is viable in the long-term with partners like Bask Bank.
Here's my example from aa.com. (Smudges added by me). No indication of the vendor or the multiplier. The first purchase was around $30 at 1x, the second was about $1000 at 2x.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:07 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Here's my example from aa.com. (Smudges added by me). No indication of the vendor or the multiplier. The first purchase was around $30 at 1x, the second was about $1000 at 2x.
I was just about to post a very similar screenshot.
Two purchases through the eShopping portal on January 3rd.
Both posted as 100% base miles on AA.com.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:29 am

Then those should all be LP as well by the vast list of terms, conditions, and rules published by American Airlines.

However, keep in mind that until a month ago Bask Bank miles posted as 'Base Miles', with no notice or warning they began posting as 'Bonus Miles' (which was not surprising at all, but just happened, no doubt because of the LP program), it probably takes all of a keystroke in some system for AA to make something a 'Bonus Mile' that was a 'Base Mile'. AA can in the future decide to change any other 'Base Mile' partner posting to a 'Bonus Mile'.

I would not recommend anyone spend thousands of dollars on bonsai trees or mattress running RocketMiles/BookAAHotels.com stays until we get 100% confirmation that LP are posting as we expect from those transactions or AA provides concrete information to confirm our belief that all those miles will in fact become LP.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:56 am
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Then those should all be LP as well by the vast list of terms, conditions, and rules published by American Airlines.

However, keep in mind that until a month ago Bask Bank miles posted as 'Base Miles', with no notice or warning they began posting as 'Bonus Miles' (which was not surprising at all, but just happened, no doubt because of the LP program), it probably takes all of a keystroke in some system for AA to make something a 'Bonus Mile' that was a 'Base Mile'. AA can in the future decide to change any other 'Base Mile' partner posting to a 'Bonus Mile'.

I would not recommend anyone spend thousands of dollars on bonsai trees or mattress running RocketMiles/BookAAHotels.com stays until we get 100% confirmation that LP are posting as we expect from those transactions or AA provides concrete information to confirm our belief that all those miles will in fact become LP.
I agree.
I believe the assumption now is that everything that posts as base miles will count as LP, but I'm not sure we have confirmation of that from AA. And as you post, AA can choose to change what counts as base miles vs. bonus miles. The example with Bask Bank illustrates this, and the change from base miles to bonus miles for Bask Bank is probably what has led to bloggers stating that Bask Bank miles will not earn LP.

I have recently made a couple of purchases through the eShopping portal, and my purchases going forward will be in two categories without any "mattress runs" or "Bonsai Bonanzas"

1. Stuff I was going to buy anyway, but using the eShopping portal at least earns me some RDM even if I end up not earning any LP. I purchased an iPad from Walmart and even if I don't earn any LP, earning 500 RDM is better than earning nothing by going directly to Walmart instead of using the eShopping portal. The 500 LP would be a nice bonus.

2. eShopping miles offers where the earned RDM makes up for the money I paid. For example I can sign up for a weekly food delivery service, pay $35 for the first shipment, and earn 3,000 RDM. The RDM value pretty much makes that first shipment free to me. Would it be great to also earn 3,000 LP to help me qualify for the next status level? Sure, but not getting any LP is not a deal killer.

Last edited by DrinkSlinger; Jan 5, 2022 at 8:43 am
Old Jan 7, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
It seems the major earns would be the subscription sign-ups where the miles/LPs greatly out earn the spend on an RDM/LP per dollar basis. I wonder if a thread will develop for these deals.

That said, I did the same SunBasket sign-up. I already had an Amex offer for $25 off $50 (up to 3x's) so it was basically $25 to earn 3,700 RDMs and, who knows how many LPs plus, if the Amex gold card counts Sunbasket as "groceries," an additional 200 Amex Membership Reward points. Not a bad haul for something I was about to try and would have spent money on in the first place.
donotblink likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CM Silver, IHG Silver

However, keep in mind that until a month ago Bask Bank miles posted as 'Base Miles', with no notice or warning they began posting as 'Bonus Miles' (which was not surprising at all, but just happened, no doubt because of the LP program),
Just to confirm because I don't have a Bask account: those miles are now under bonus? With 0 base miles?
If true, this seems to be the indicator of what will likely count/not count for LPs.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by AdamSouthFL
Just to confirm because I don't have a Bask account: those miles are now under bonus? With 0 base miles?
If true, this seems to be the indicator of what will likely count/not count for LPs.
Correct, they now 100% post as bonus miles.

What little language AA has provided said 'base miles' will count for LP, we'll see how things shake out in coming months, as they did with Bask Bank, AA can change how miles post from any partner.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Executive Platinum
Gift Cards & LP’s

What’s the latest with gift card purchases via AA shopping posting correctly? I had one post that was $100 card but my 2 $250 failed to post. I submitted a claim.

Has anyone figured out if the monthly limit is per calendar month or 30 days?

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 18, 2022 at 5:51 am Reason: Removed admin discussion of thread location
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I'm in a similar spot. I have several GC's that did not post but a later one that did. In my case, the ones that didn't post seem to relate to an ad or popup blocker I have. Before buying, be sure to disable the blocker; that's what I did and why the last one posted but the earlier ones didn't.

As to the second question, I've been aggressively pursuing it with both Cartera and BHN for 2 1/2 weeks and have yet to get an answer.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FrankMorris
What’s the latest with gift card purchases via AA shopping posting correctly? I had one post that was $100 card but my 2 $250 failed to post. I submitted a claim.

Has anyone figured out if the monthly limit is per calendar month or 30 days?
How long ago was the purchase? Mine all posted eventually. Has it been over 2 weeks?

As far as I can tell the $2k limit is not enforced

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 18, 2022 at 5:51 am Reason: Edited quote of edited post
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
So far, the only purchase that has not posted for me is when I bought 2 x $250 in a single transaction. it tracked and I even received an email that it tracked, but it hasn't posted. Just about at the 15-day mark, so I'll be submitting an inquiry.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Executive Platinum
Literally used the same browser and made back to back purchases so no reason one would have posted and the other not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.