Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Offering Only Flexible Fares PHX-SFO Entire Month of April

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Just noticed today that for the entire month of April, AA is offering only flexible fares on PHX-SFO and return. That's a minimum fare of $319 PHX-SFO and $249 SFO-PHX on every flight in the month of April. That's compared to AA fares as low as $45 SFO-PHX and $64 PHX-SFO for just a few days earlier in late March.

Other carriers are not following. So looks like I'll be flying AS, UA, and WN to and from the bay area next month.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Kacee
Just noticed today that for the entire month of April, AA is offering only flexible fares on PHX-SFO and return. That's a minimum fare of $319 PHX-SFO and $249 SFO-PHX on every flight in the month of April. That's compared to AA fares as low as $45 SFO-PHX and $64 PHX-SFO for just a few days earlier in late March.

Other carriers are not following. So looks like I'll be flying AS, UA, and WN to and from the bay area next month.
Did they change spring training dates?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Did they change spring training dates?
That's the strange part. The high fares don't start until spring training is about 2/3 over and continue well into the regular season.

I would guess that some fares failed to get filed, or accidentally got pulled. I'd expect it to be fixed relatively soon (and I'm sure it will cost them a lot of business until it is)
Old Mar 14, 2022, 1:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
LAX-sfo coach is more than AS first on the July date I checked. Look like AA is $189 ow to start.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 4:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by beachfan
LAX-sfo coach is more than AS first on the July date I checked. Look like AA is $189 ow to start.
I'd call that a win. Save money, fly AS F, and get AA elite credit.

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I'd call that a win. Save money, fly AS F, and get AA elite credit.
Yeah I'd fly AS over AA every time on this route if the schedule worked for me.

Still not fixed. Either a very strange error, or a strategic blunder, with AA expecting other carriers to follow.

Anyone seeing this on other routes?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EP
Agree with VegasGambler. This is an error, not a new strategy. I don’t know how or when, but they will figure it out and file the fares at some point.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: AA
Pretty sure "bugs" like this happen every weekend when AA loads new schedules/fare buckets? Just give it a day or two.
JJeffrey and KBMIFlyer like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Technically, there are cheaper non-refundable fare filings for April, it's just that none of the flights have any bucket availability below M bucket currently and the cheapest M fares are refundable. I'm going with the above that this is just a bug with not having inventory in lower fare buckets currently. The reverse direction flights are showing no bucket availability in anything less than L (hence the $249 fares).
Old Mar 15, 2022, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bridge29
Pretty sure "bugs" like this happen every weekend when AA loads new schedules/fare buckets? Just give it a day or two.
Still waiting.

The AA M fare has now increased from $319 to $339, so that's the current minimum economy fare PHX-SFO every day in April. Meanwhile F9 is offering fares as low as $19, UA down to $45.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Still waiting.

The AA M fare has now increased from $319 to $339, so that's the current minimum economy fare PHX-SFO every day in April. Meanwhile F9 is offering fares as low as $19, UA down to $45.
What does a cheap coach fare on AA get you that THREE SEATS on F9 (or even UA) would not?

Three seats to myself for $135 on UA sure seem a far better deal than one on AA for $339.

These threads seem akin to complaining about terrible food and such small portions...
Old Mar 15, 2022, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
The headline on marketwatch.com this afternoon:

"American Airlines stock surges toward biggest gain in more than a year after carrier raises revenue outlook."

Old Mar 15, 2022, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Still waiting.

The assigned revenue analyst must be on vacation or out sick! Usually, AA is pretty competitive out of PHX to the West Coast.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by formeraa
The assigned revenue analyst must be on vacation or out sick! Usually, AA is pretty competitive out of PHX to the West Coast.
On the other hand, 2/3+ of the manual intervention done by analysts in RM to override the black box results in closing down rather than opening up inventories.

All else equal, YM black boxes are going to first seek to fill the plane. You can't sell up if it's not full (in the "mind" of Odyssey; obviously the reality is different).

But again, from a pax perspective, this is a pretty silly complaint. Three seats on UA for far less money than one on AA is an easy decision to make. The fact that UA runs a far better airline these days is just gravy. (I'm assuming that UA SFO-PHX is mainline; obviously the story is different if it's UAX)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.