Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Need to get off at a connection - I think they're gate checking bags. What to do??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need to get off at a connection - I think they're gate checking bags. What to do??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2022, 6:18 am
Original Poster

I'm flying sav-phl-bos and I found out after booking my ticket I need to get off at PHL. I know this is not allowed, I don't have the required $279 to change my flight properly so I'm just trying to figure out what to do.

This is a CRJ700. I am told that this type of plane doesn't fit hard sided carry ons and everything will have to be gate checked. Will i be able to request that I get it back at my connection or are they getting checked through to final destination?

I am considering buying a duffle bag and swapping, or just trying to carry everything in my hands that I will need for work and letting my suitcase travel to my final destination and picking it up in week.
​​​​​
Old Mar 6, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gracetheyoung
I'm flying sav-phl-bos and I found out after booking my ticket I need to get off at PHL. I know this is not allowed, I don't have the required $279 to change my flight properly so I'm just trying to figure out what to do.

This is a CRJ700. I am told that this type of plane doesn't fit hard sided carry ons and everything will have to be gate checked. Will i be able to request that I get it back at my connection or are they getting checked through to final destination?

I am considering buying a duffle bag and swapping, or just trying to carry everything in my hands that I will need for work and letting my suitcase travel to my final destination and picking it up in week.
​​​​​
In my experience, whenever I've had a bag gate checked on a small plane such as this, I've always been required to wait on the jetbridge upon arrival and the gate checked bag was brought to me. They are not forwarded along to your next destination. In fact, I don't even believe they can be since they weren't entered into the system when checking in at your origin (not positive on that though).

In this case, I think you'll be ok. Hopefully others will chime in if they had a difference experience.

Regards
VSLover, ksucats, Spiff and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 6:32 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
In my experience, whenever I've had a bag gate checked on a small plane such as this, I've always been required to wait on the jetbridge upon arrival and the gate checked bag was brought to me. They are not forwarded along to your next destination. In fact, I don't even believe they can be since they weren't entered into the system when checking in at your origin (not positive on that though).

In this case, I think you'll be ok. Hopefully others will chime in if they had a difference experience.

Regards
agreed - you should get it back at the jet bridge. And technically this isn't gate checked - you just get a little label that you had a bag. They don't print an actual checked bags label with destination airport etc.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:14 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
In my experience, AA does pink valet tags less than UA or DL do. So if you are forced to gate check your bag, ask where you will get it.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Yes, this is what AA calls valet bags, not gate checking. They apply a red tag to the bags and return them on the jet bridge at the end of the American Eagle flight. It only happens on Eagle planes with overhead bins that can’t accommodate standard rollaboard bags (ie the CRJ 200/700/900 and ERJ 135/140/145 as well as most or all turboprops). On Eagle planes with larger overhead bins that can accommodate rollaboards (E170/E175), they do not valet tag but instead check to the final destination like on mainline if you’re unable to fit your bag on board.

(I’m pretty sure AA doesn’t still operate all of the types I’ve listed, but I’ve lost track in detail.)
KBMIFlyer and Uzzar like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Important distinction here; gate check, or valet? If a bag is gate checked, you will get the usual printed out white paper tag with bag tracking, bar code, etc. This type of bag will need to be picked up at baggage claim, as it's actually been "checked". Usually bags are only gate checked on larger, say 737/A320 type aircraft when the overhead bins fill up. Also, there is no system for valet bags on those models, unlike the regionals, so checking is the only option.

With a valet tagged bag, you will just get a yellow or red (depending on group number) paper tag and leave your bag at the bottom of the jet bridge. You will collect that bag on the jet bridge when you deplane. Because the bag is not entered into any type of tracking system, they have to return it to you when you land.

Also keep in mind that, if you're on a round trip ticket, your return flight will get canceled the second you don't show up for your connection. So if you're going to do this it best be a one-way, or on your return leg. Airlines don't take kindly to this so I wouldn't make it a habit. You may think why would it matter, they'll just put a standby in your seat, but if the gate fees for you to get off in PHL are higher than BOS, the airline is stuck eating the bill. Do it too much and expect penalties.

Last edited by AA_Flyer; Mar 6, 2022 at 7:30 am
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I hope this is the return trip for you. If it’s not and you jump at Philly there will be no return itinerary for you. It will be canceled.
bemis and jan_believes like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_Flyer
Important distinction here; gate check, or valet? If a bag is gate checked, you will get the usual printed out white paper tag with bag tracking, bar code, etc. This type of bag will need to be picked up at baggage claim, as it's actually been "checked". Usually bags are only gate checked on larger, say 737/A320 type aircraft when the overhead bins fill up. Also, there is no system for valet bags on those models, unlike the regionals, so checking is the only option.

With a valet tagged bag, you will just get a yellow or red (depending on group number) paper tag and leave your bag at the bottom of the jet bridge. You will collect that bag on the jet bridge when you deplane. Because the bag is not entered into any type of tracking system, they have to return it to you when you land.

Also keep in mind that, if you're on a round trip ticket, your return flight will get canceled the second you don't show up for your connection. So if you're going to do this it best be a one-way, or on your return leg. Airlines don't take kindly to this so I wouldn't make it a habit. You may think why would it matter, they'll just put a standby in your seat, but if the gate fees for you to get off in PHL are higher than BOS, the airline is stuck eating the bill. Do it too much and expect penalties.

I never do this - I am aware this is a "hack" for traveling but I am far too risk adverse and this just happened to have ended up this way. It's the last leg of my flight as well.

Do you think I should just miss it, or tell someone I won't be going on the plane when I get off in Philly? Is either one better or worse?

I believe I am talking about "valet" with the pink tags where we get it back. The flight I'm on today just did this and we did it get back. But I guess if the equipment changes I'll be in trouble as my boarding group is last.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VFR
In my experience, AA does pink valet tags less than UA or DL do. So if you are forced to gate check your bag, ask where you will get it.
My AA flight today just did a pink valet tag on a small plane that was the same type. So at least I think that's good.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
I hope this is the return trip for you. If it’s not and you jump at Philly there will be no return itinerary for you. It will be canceled.
It is my last leg and I've never skipped a connection before and don't plan on doing it again.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
I've done this before (skip the last leg). I told the counter agent when I arrived at the airport, itinerary was updated, didn't cost me anything extra.

I was worried about being flagged as a Hidden City miscreant. No repercussions came to me by getting the itinerary changed.

If you're saying changing the ticket to remove the last destination is an extra $279, I for darn sure would worry about getting flagged for Hidden City.

All the best, James
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fdog
I've done this before (skip the last leg). I told the counter agent when I arrived at the airport, itinerary was updated, didn't cost me anything extra.

I was worried about being flagged as a Hidden City miscreant. No repercussions came to me by getting the itinerary changed.

If you're saying changing the ticket to remove the last destination is an extra $279, I for darn sure would worry about getting flagged for Hidden City.

All the best, James
I think most folks on here would disagree with most of your comment. Do "not* tell the agent you are skipping the last leg as it should lead to a reprice. And if you do this once it is not going to be a problem for you
FMDXR, JDiver and chrisny2 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
One other thing to note: if that last leg is substantially delayed or canceled you can actually get a prorated refund!
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
In these cases you never even have to talk to any agent or human.

After you land at whatever the final stop will be, just pull up your reservation at aa.com and cancel it. You can do this even after you're checked in. You will be removed from any subsequent flights on the PNR, it will not be repriced, and no one will ever look at the PNR again. This saves the GA from looking for you and paging you in the airport or waiting until the last minute to open up your seat.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by Adam1222
I think most folks on here would disagree with most of your comment. Do "not* tell the agent you are skipping the last leg as it should lead to a reprice. And if you do this once it is not going to be a problem for you
Well, it worked for me.

All the best, James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.