Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrades to clear 40 minutes prior to flight depart North America airports (3/22),

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades to clear 40 minutes prior to flight depart North America airports (3/22),

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2022, 11:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

in the fine print:

From the fine print on the newer upgrade rules:

You'll continue to be added to the airport upgrade list if your upgrade request hasn’t cleared before check-in. We’re beginning to roll out an enhanced upgrade experience in 2022 for status members at the airport: Upgrades will automatically clear 40 minutes before your flight departure if seats are available. This will apply to all airports within North America. Once your upgrade clears, you’ll be notified on the app or on the gate monitor.
If this is accurate, upgrades won’t rely on Gate Agents clearing (or not clearing - lists at the gate. Please share your experiences and discuss.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 11:47 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
If it's really out of the GAs' hands now, we'll need a new term for "upgrade cleared while in line" or "upgrade cleared while walking down the bridge."
Old Feb 28, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
I've also noticed that upgrades clear once your seated in the cabin onboard. Had two of those occur this year. In each case I was #1 on the WL.
onanisland likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Wonder the impact of clearing 40 minutes from departure will have on ticketed First IRROPS. Wouldn’t this result in a 10 minute loss for re-accommodation efforts?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 2:38 pm

Maybe I’m wrong, but the way I read this is that it will only automatically clear in the case where there are seats open in F/J at 40 mins out. So, in the case that someone has not checked in or if the seat has gone unsold.

There will still be a manual clearance period after that automatic clearance though. This is when they will clear based on no-shows.

The wording isn’t super clear about this, but there is clearly going to still be some manual clearance, and this is the only way I’d imagine that would work:

Be sure you’ve checked in early so you’re on the upgrade list. If you aren’t on the list before the automatic clearance, you’ll be prioritized after the airport upgrade list has cleared.
ijgordon and onanisland like this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
This is gong to be a mess for a while.... along with the new AA elite statuscrap
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Hello TOD
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Hello TOD
The T-40 automation doesn't make this any more or less likely. I don't think it will make much difference overall. Most clear about that time now. Just as well to take it out of the GAs hands, and good for them as it gives them one less thing to do. There will still be the same discretion wrt to late connectors.

Most of the time there is no more than one F seat to fill at the gate anyway.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
40 minutes sounded great until I realized it was 40 minutes before departure, not 40 min before boarding. So yeah, right as they finish the preboards. I guess it's nice to not have it up to the whim of the GA as to when to start any upgrades....
Spiff likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Stripe
The T-40 automation doesn't make this any more or less likely. I don't think it will make much difference overall. Most clear about that time now. Just as well to take it out of the GAs hands, and good for them as it gives them one less thing to do. There will still be the same discretion wrt to late connectors.

Most of the time there is no more than one F seat to fill at the gate anyway.
In principle, you're right, but having a computer process gate upgrades makes it simpler for AA to wait until the last possible minute to process elite upgrades since it won't require human effort or time. I believe this will incentivize AA to wait on more elite upgrades until t-40mins while selling TODs the entire time... but, we will see.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
If this is accurate, upgrades won’t rely on Gate Agents clearing (or not clearing - lists at the gate. Please share your experiences and discuss.
Good on taking it out of the hands of the GAs. I was on a flight around 15 years ago where an AA GA bumped up a lower-status couple ahead of me and my spouse purely out of favoritism and made it clear by his own admission to them right in front of us. We were so upset that we waited and took the next flight out (still with no upgrade) purely out of principle. No GA should EVER be granted that kind of power.

As for the 40 minutes, not a great idea. I think this policy is based on wanting to sell same-day upgrades. If so, not very well thought out.
WeekendTraveler and Spiff like this.

Last edited by AADFW; Feb 28, 2022 at 9:56 pm Reason: grammar
Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I would hope upgrades would continue to clear within T-40 min in the case of last minute cancel/no-show.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:42 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by AADFW
As for the 40 minutes, not a great idea. I think this policy is based on wanting to sell same-day upgrades. If so, not very well thought out.
What do you mean? Seems perfectly designed for selling same-day and even at-the-gate upgrades. They're giving themselves every possible minute.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:16 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
This is going to be interesting given the amount of ~40 minute connections that AA has been forcing lately.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:16 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
My biggest concern with this automation is what if you're traveling as a pair and there is only one seat left?

The current system would skip the pair and go to the next person on the list. Safe to assume it would automatically skip the pair in this case as well?

Have had multiple occasions where my wife and I were traveling together and one of us got the last upgrade. We are happy to split up in that case.
onanisland likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.