Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrades in NA for Platinum and Gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm

Expanding complimentary upgrades

AAdvantage Gold® and AAdvantage Platinum® members now have more opportunities to upgrade from Main / Premium Economy to the next class of service. Starting with flights on March 2, 2022, we’re expanding complimentary upgrades to all purchased, published fares on American within North America.*

All complimentary upgrades for existing reservations will be available by March 2.

Some reminders:
  • We’ll automatically request the upgrade if everyone in your booking is eligible for a complimentary upgrade – no action needed from you.
  • Your upgrade may be cleared as early as 24 hours before departure for AAdvantage Gold® and 48 hours for AAdvantage Platinum® members.
  • Upgrades within North America remain complimentary for AAdvantage Executive Platinum® and AAdvantage Platinum Pro® members.

The future of companion and 500-mile upgrades

Later in 2022, all AAdvantage® status members will be able to enjoy a complimentary upgrade for 1 companion traveling on the same flight within North America. When that happens, we’ll convert all available 500-mile upgrades to 250 Loyalty Points each. This addition of Loyalty Points helps you reach AAdvantage® status faster.

Simplifying your upgrade experience

You'll continue to be added to the airport upgrade list if your upgrade request hasn’t cleared before check-in. We’re beginning to roll out an enhanced upgrade experience in 2022 for status members at the airport: Upgrades will automatically clear 40 minutes before your flight departure if seats are available. This will apply to all airports within North America. Once your upgrade clears, you’ll be notified on the app or on the gate monitor.

With automatic clearance, you'll have a more consistent experience and should know the status of your upgrade request sooner.

Be sure you’ve checked in early so you’re on the upgrade list. If you aren’t on the list before the automatic clearance, you’ll be prioritized after the airport upgrade list has cleared.

*You can use 500-mile upgrades to pay for travel companions who do not hold AAdvantage® status.
Print Wikipost

Complimentary Upgrades in NA for Platinum and Gold

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2022, 4:55 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by beachfan
Anyone who bought them (other than via Amex airline incidental credit) within the last 6 months should immediately dispute with their credit card company. It shouldn’t be that difficult to prevail, especially for recent purchases.

if a lot of folks do it, AA will come up with more than 250 LPs
For those that used their Amex incidental credit already for 2022 on stickers (and have yet to use the ones they purchased) I could theoretically see Amex accepting a dispute and resetting the incidental credit back to its full amount.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You earn stickers by racking up EQM. EQM no longer exist, as of tomorrow.
Yes, but they could have calculated a way to tie the earning of stickers to spending...something like $1800 for 4 stickers seems equivalent.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by ptsailor
Just curious, what do you think your damages are in this proposed lawsuit? ...
AA should offer refunds to anyone who bought stickers within the past 90 days or so.

Originally Posted by CLT
Yes, but they could have calculated a way to tie the earning of stickers to spending...something like $1800 for 4 stickers seems equivalent.
That would defeat the stated purpose of LP being the only thing anyone needs to care about.
corky likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by ptsailor
The last minute nature of this announcement makes an ex-IT guy like me wonder if there was something in the implementation of the new automated upgrade clearing process, see: https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...rade-waitlist/ , that was vomiting when trying to parse the upgrade requested vs. upgrade not requested low level elites and someone said, "why do we even bother with these stickers anymore, anyway?" and the exec who was pushing the automated upgrade project had the juice to make a command decision to get his project rolled-out on time. But who knows...
Could a GLD or PLT waitlist for a DOD upgrade even with insufficient stickers or did AA require enough stickers to be put on the upgrade list? If the former then the automation would fail if you a had GLD/PLT upgraded with insufficient stickers and I find this theory pretty convincing.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Could a GLD or PLT waitlist for a DOD upgrade even with insufficient stickers or did AA require enough stickers to be put on the upgrade list? If the former then the automation would fail if you a had GLD/PLT upgraded with insufficient stickers and I find this theory pretty convincing.
They can be provisionally upgraded but wouldn't be able to check in. And you can't be on the airport upgrade list without checking in.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I've got 40 going back to the 1990s. I'm not really concerned about "losing" them, but i do see a reduction in value for LT status.
Spiff likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Hope I'm thinking this through clearly. I am a LT Plat and feel like this recent change has pushed me into "free agent" territory along with the new LP scheme. I was looking to play the LP game (shopping, dining, you name it) to try to get to mid-range Plat to give myself a moderate chance at upgrades when traveling with my wife on leisure trips (in full transparency, my business travel will not likely get me high levels of LP until possibly 2023). But now, with the elimination of stickers and the free extension to a companion, I assume I should not have any expectation of upgrades as I am now behind a) EXP and PlatPro who previously may not have elected to use stickers for their companions, and, b) the manufactured LP/infrequent flying crowd who previously would not have had stickers for upgrades previously and not been "competition" for upgrades.

Net, I'll likely back down on my LP plans and just make my flight plans knowing with AA I have MCE at purchase and some free luggage. That's nominally better than what I can get on UA (Silver via Marriott Titanium) and Delta (free bags due to cc, but I can probably rationalize buying C+), but clearly less clear cut than when I used to factor in possibility of an upgrade.

Am I missing anything?

PS agree that the 250 LP per unused sticker really sucks.
Spiff and Snuggs like this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by bosman
I am now behind a) EXP and PlatPro who previously may not have elected to use stickers for their companions
I wouldn't be too worried about being behind these; they are unicorns. I've never flown with someone on the same PNR and not bought stickers to upgrade them.
bosman and ksucats like this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 5:49 pm

If this process change fills up F at T-40, doesn't it mean off duty FAs have a near 0% chance of sitting in F?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
250 LPs for the stickers could be ok assuming they don't post as bonus points. I have 34 stickers in my account which if they post as base points will be a nice boost towards status this year.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:13 pm

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by carla568
If this process change fills up F at T-40, doesn't it mean off duty FAs have a near 0% chance of sitting in F?
Thank you, I needed a good laugh! ...Probably reduces it to 50%

All the best, James
carla568 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:16 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by ellinj
250 LPs for the stickers could be ok assuming they don't post as bonus points. I have 34 stickers in my account which if they post as base points will be a nice boost towards status this year.
There's no such thing as "bonus LP," is there?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CM Silver, IHG Silver
Is North America still considered: the U.S. (including Hawaii), Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, Bermuda, the Caribbean and Central America?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by dls25
I agree. I'm frequently running into DCA-MIA and ORD-MIA flights being sold out in F months in advance due to international connections.
*laughs in IND-CLT-MLB*
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by js1993
There's no such thing as "bonus LP," is there?
There is no ambiguity about what an LP is.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by ellinj
I think you're confusing award mile conversions to LPs. American is converting each sticker to 250 LPs, no need to worry about how these are classified. In your case you'll "earn" 8,500 LPs when they convert the stickers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.