Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Anyone Else Not Getting Proper Miles for Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum

I was looking at my account today and noticed that AA seems to have reduced the award miles I'm being credited for flights. For example, I flew last week MDT-PHL-PBI. I was given 50 base miles and 60 bonus miles for a total of 110 miles. From PHL-PBI I was given 575 base miles and 690 bonus miles for a total of 1,265 miles. This is well below what I would normally earn as an EXP. Does this have to do with the switch to the new accrual system or is this an error I should look into? Seems like a huge discrepancy
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I was looking at my account today and noticed that AA seems to have reduced the award miles I'm being credited for flights. For example, I flew last week MDT-PHL-PBI. I was given 50 base miles and 60 bonus miles for a total of 110 miles.
Congrats on the $10 base fare?

Take a look at your ticket; see how much the fare was before taxes and fees.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I was looking at my account today and noticed that AA seems to have reduced the award miles I'm being credited for flights. For example, I flew last week MDT-PHL-PBI. I was given 50 base miles and 60 bonus miles for a total of 110 miles. From PHL-PBI I was given 575 base miles and 690 bonus miles for a total of 1,265 miles. This is well below what I would normally earn as an EXP. Does this have to do with the switch to the new accrual system or is this an error I should look into? Seems like a huge discrepancy
are you sure you're still EXP?

Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
are you sure you're still EXP?

Well the bonus is 120% of the base so it's definitely EXP.

The question is, why is the base so low? Without knowing the fare there's not enough information
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
As you (hopefully) know, award miles are based solely on the fare paid and have been for years. Was your total fare in the neighborhood of $150? If so, that seems about right.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks about right for a base fare of around $125 (for 625 base award miles). Total fare price would have been around $158 with taxes/fees (7.5% US domestic excise tax + 2 x $4.50 PFCs + 2 x $4.50 US segment tax + $5.60 TSA tax). Miles are split based on stage length of segments and MDT-PHL is only 84 miles or roughly 8.1% of total trip length. 625 x .081 is roughly 50 miles. The remainder of the miles (575) were credited to the longer PHL-PBI segment.
fdog and thunderdeacon like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 23, 2022 at 1:50 pm
Old Feb 24, 2022, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Folks on here are far smarter than I. I appreciate all of the insights. Looks like the number were right based on fare and whatnot. Thanks everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.