Wiki Posts
Search

DFW vs ORD 50 min connection. Which one

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
DFW vs ORD 50 min connection. Which one

Long story short, I can choose between 52 min connection via either DFW or ORD. Other connection options don’t work or like 5+ hour layovers.

Is one “easier” than the other.

dfw would be CR 700 to 737
ord would be ERJ 145 to 737

plan on checking bags so overhead bags on ERJ 145 not a problem
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by COEWR2587; Feb 22, 2022 at 7:08 am
Old Feb 22, 2022, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by COEWR2587
Long story short, I can choose between 52 min connection via either DFW or ORD. Other connection options don’t work or like 5+ hour layovers.

Is one “easier” than the other.

dfw would be ERJ 700 to 737
ord would be ERJ 145 to 737

plan on checking bags so overhead bags on ERJ 145 not a problem
52 mins is perfectly fine at either. What is the whole itinerary?

ORD is probably slightly "easier" in that you will arrive (on an ERJ most likely at G) and walk 5-10 mins to your next gate (most likely H or K).

At DFW a CR7 could arrive into E satellite, meaning a slightly longer walk to the main E terminal, then possibly a quick SkyLink train ride to your next terminal (A, C, or D most likely).
Old Feb 22, 2022, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Eagle is going to be E or B at DFW. Hands down DFW easier to connect via sky train. O'Hare is a dump really. I flew through there yesterday connecting to an E-145 to TOL. Long connection walk similar to CLT.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
E175 arrival at DFW would be B or D. Sky Train to anywhere is 10-15 minutes max. Much easier connection than ORD. Also even in coach the E175 is more comfortable than the lawn dart (E145)
Old Feb 22, 2022, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by wrp96
E175 arrival at DFW would be B or D. Sky Train to anywhere is 10-15 minutes max. Much easier connection than ORD. Also even in coach the E175 is more comfortable than the lawn dart (E145)
OP says DFW would be on an ERJ 700 which I can only assume means a CR7.

I would pick this one based on total travel travel time and potentially minimizing time spent in an RJ, not on the ease of connection between DFW and ORD, both of which are relatively easy.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by JJeffrey; Feb 22, 2022 at 5:52 am
Old Feb 22, 2022, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
OP says DFW would be on an ERJ 700 which I can only assume means a CR7.

I would pick this one based on total travel travel time and potentially minimizing time spent in an RJ, not on the ease of connection between DFW and ORD, both of which are relatively easy.
Obviously my reading comprehension needs help this morning. Thanks

Definitely agree about minimizing RJ time and total travel time.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
different point of view. I think it depends on time of day and time of year. I'd take DFW in winter. ORD in spring or summer - especially if a later afternoon flight (storm time of day).
For either airport, I'd look at what the backup flights were if you miss a connection.
A delay at either is bad to make a flight. Personally, I prefer ORD. I find the G to HK much easier and more in my control than DFW.
fdog likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 6:34 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Summer at either airport is a mess. Certainly DFW is better in winter.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
Obviously my reading comprehension needs help this morning. Thanks

Definitely agree about minimizing RJ time and total travel time.
Why minimize RJ time if you're in Y? The Eagle seats are better than the awful 737 and (unless you're with companions) you can travel without a seatmate. I would try to maximize RJ time and minimize 737 in Y.
Spanish likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I'd pick DFW over ORD any day. Absolutely hate ORD.
The flights would have to be MUCH better to make me consider ORD.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I'd pick DFW over ORD any day. Absolutely hate ORD.
The flights would have to be MUCH better to make me consider ORD.
horrible airport stuck in 1993 with an international terminal that’s a disgrace and embarrassment to the great city of Chicago.
jwnear and theshaun like this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
At DFW a CR7 could arrive into E satellite, meaning a slightly longer walk to the main E terminal, then possibly a quick SkyLink train ride to your next terminal (A, C, or D most likely).
Are you sure about that? I've never seen a CRJ of any type at the E satellite. Skywest parks theirs in E, but in the main part of the terminal. I've only ever seen Envoy ERJs at the satellite, though I could certainly be wrong.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 8:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Certainly DFW is better in winter.
We're expecting another winter event in Texas late Thursday/Friday (right now they're predicting sleet/ice, and possibly snow). If that is when the travel is happening, I'd avoid DFW if at all possible. I'd go so far as to suggest that anyone traveling through DFW this Thurs-Fri try to change their plans.

Otherwise, you're probably correct. But DFW doesn't do well with winter weather, as we saw earlier this month.
Auto Enthusiast and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 8:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by dfw88
Are you sure about that? I've never seen a CRJ of any type at the E satellite. Skywest parks theirs in E, but in the main part of the terminal. I've only ever seen Envoy ERJs at the satellite, though I could certainly be wrong.
That's what I was thinking. Generally the E145 are at the E satellite. When I've been on any other regional it has been in/out of B. The E170/175's I've been on have all been at B, which is an easy walk to A or D.

For the OP, here are the appropriate threads for these AA hubs. I'd encourage you to browse the last few pages of each, along with the Wikiposts, and then make an informed decision based on recent experiences.
AA Guide: DFW / Dallas - Fort Worth International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc
AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Both DFW and ORD provide easy domestic connections even with those tight connection times.

There are other considerations (some already mentioned) that would weigh in more for my decision:
1. DFW seems to me more spacious, less crowded and with more natural ight than ORD. It seems to me that at ORD I am always battling my way through (like crossing a street at Times Square).
DFW seems to me a more pleasant experience.
2. Weather. Other than the exceptional snow in DFW, DFW is less likely to be affected by weather in winter.
3. Is the second leg the last flight of the day at either airport? I would lean towards the airport that has more flight options to be re-booked on in case the first flight is late.
aj411 likes this.

Last edited by carlosdca; Feb 22, 2022 at 12:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.